Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Puerto Rico - part of US?

Puerto Rico - part of US?

Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:29 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Puerto Rico - part of US?

Originally Posted by JAJ
.....sees itself as the legitimate government of all of China.
.....and Mongolia
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

Are we departing from PR ? Sounds like it.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The few times I have talked with someone from Taiwan, have at some stage in the conversation included the phrase "I am not Taiwanese, I am Chinese". Have I just met pedants or has she just given up on the issue?
She would be offended if you called her Chinese, Taiwan sees itself as being independent to China.

Bit like the Scots and the English
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:41 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EricK
She would be offended if you called her Chinese, Taiwan sees itself as being independent to China.

Interesting. Thanks for replying, sorry if I took the thread a little off topic
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Puerto Rico - part of US?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Who asks for it? I thought flights between the mainland USA and Puerto Rico were "domestic"? (like those between the UK and Isle of Man).
T'is true. But they still want to see your passport.

Dean
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
T'is true. But they still want to see your passport.
The US State Department web site indicates that US citizens traveling between Puerto Rico and the mainland do not need to have a passport but must show a valid government issued photo id.

It is silent about the requirements for non US citizens but I can't imagine why any non-US citizen would not take their passport with them on such a trip.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I see what you mean...the Scot would be honored to have anyone think he was English, but to call an Englishman a Scot....Hoots mon oot'o mi way, who do yo think ya harrrrr
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The few times I have talked with someone from Taiwan, have at some stage in the conversation included the phrase "I am not Taiwanese, I am Chinese". Have I just met pedants or has she just given up on the issue?
Correct.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Taiwan's name is the Republic of China and the government in Taipei sees itself as the legitimate government of all of China.

Most countries do not recognise Taiwan as an independent state (except for certain de-facto purposes).
Correct.

Incorrect.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Incorrect.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that the OP is wrong in saying that his gf would be offended if she was called Chinese instead of Taiwanese? Don't you think that he'd know that better than you?