Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Puerto Rico - part of US?

Puerto Rico - part of US?

Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all
Default Puerto Rico - part of US?

Is Puerto Rico part of the US? Do you have to exit US borders when travelling there, or is it considered an "internal" trip?
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Puerto Rico - part of US?

Originally Posted by EricK
Is Puerto Rico part of the US? Do you have to exit US borders when travelling there, or is it considered an "internal" trip?
PR is an unincorporated territory. It is considered 'internal'

Psssttt...Google is your friend.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

There is a large Puerto Rican population in NYC. I think they can live and work in the US without any restrictions.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityhog
There is a large Puerto Rican population in NYC. I think they can live and work in the US without any restrictions.
Due to them being US citizens and all?
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by meauxna
Due to them being US citizens and all?
O yeah that seems to be the case.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Thanks for all the answers.

I did have a look on Google - honest!! It was the first place I went, however still wasn't 100% sure of the answer.

Am thinking of going there for thanksgiving with my girlfriend as we won't obviously be celebrating it, and fancy a few days away. She is Taiwanese and on an F1 visa here, so wanted to be sure she wasn't going to have any issues going there.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be any problem either going there or coming back, but to be on the safe side I would suggest that she gets her I-20 endorsed by the DSO at her school and takes it with her as well as her passport.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 12:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She is Taiwanese and on an F1 visa here, so wanted to be sure she wasn't going to have any issues going there.
You'll be fine as long as the plane doesn't have issues and has to land in the Bahamas, Haiti, or Turks & Caicos! Of course, if it can't land... well, you have bigger problems to deal with!

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Puerto Rico - part of US?

You'll need your passport. I always do.

Dean
Old Oct 24th 2010, 3:57 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

It's a dreadful crime infested little island..If you'd like to safely leave your hotel at night i'd look into the American Virgin Islands instead.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
You'll need your passport. I always do.
Who asks for it? I thought flights between the mainland USA and Puerto Rico were "domestic"? (like those between the UK and Isle of Man).
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

As the song says "Puerto Rico's in America" (West Side Story- "I Wanna Be in America".)
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

We visited PR on a cruise vacation, I still have the welcoming sign posted on a wall near the dock, it plainly says " GO HOME YANKI E" Nice eh ?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:08 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

She is Taiwanese.
The few times I have talked with someone from Taiwan, have at some stage in the conversation included the phrase "I am not Taiwanese, I am Chinese". Have I just met pedants or has she just given up on the issue?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The few times I have talked with someone from Taiwan, have at some stage in the conversation included the phrase "I am not Taiwanese, I am Chinese". Have I just met pedants or has she just given up on the issue?
Taiwan's name is the Republic of China and the government in Taipei sees itself as the legitimate government of all of China.

Most countries do not recognise Taiwan as an independent state (except for certain de-facto purposes).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.