Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Public transport in LA

Public transport in LA

Old Jun 14th 2013, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

canarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud of
Default Public transport in LA

hi,
I'm off to LA in July for a day to meet with various people before my move to the States in October. I don't have a huge amount of money and from my research i can see that the public transport system isn't quite as good as it is in London ;-)

I will be going from LAX - West Hollywood - Century City - Santa Monica - LAX. I'm nervous about hiring a car as I haven't driven in about 10 years and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get around? There seem to be lots of bus companies and it's not clear which is the best to go with!

Thank you
Old Jun 14th 2013, 2:17 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public transport in LA

Originally Posted by canarybats
I will be going from LAX - West Hollywood - Century City - Santa Monica - LAX.
In one day, using only public transport?? Or have I misunderstood? Jesus: you'd spend most of it on the bus or waiting for the bus.

Three main bus companies operate in West LA: Metro, Culver CityBus (green), and Big Blue Bus. There's usually not much question of 'choosing' one or the other based on respective merits, since they operate different (albeit sometimes overlapping) routes so you just go with whatever gets you there.

But I do think the Big Blue Bus is (relatively) alright, Culver CityBus is slightly grotty, and the Metro bus has the highest quota of lunatics.

AFAIK there's no direct way of getting from LAX to West Hollywood. Maybe there's some private airport shuttlebus I don't know about. If not, you could take the Culver CityBus 6 up to Westwood and then get a Metro bus 704 to West Hollywood, but that'd take at least an hour and a half. There's probably several quicker options, but they're still going to involve a change and take at least an hour.

From West Hollywood to Century City, you could just take the Metro 704 back down Santa Monica Blvd. About 45 mins.

From Century City to Santa Monica, you can take the Big Blue Bus 7 (or Rapid 7) down Pico Blvd. About an hour.

From Santa Monica to LAX, you could take the Big Blue Bus Rapid 3. About an hour.

So once you factor in all the time you're going to be sitting at a bus stop, listening to someone raving about how the Communists stole his lunch and wondering to yourself when the next bus might be due (you're lucky to get a schedule at many stops; there's bugger all chance of an electric sign telling you when the next bus is due)... well, it's going to be a long day. Can you beg a friend to drive you around? Can you brush up on your driving beforehand and rent a car?

I've happily taken public transport in every other city I've lived in... but LA is a different story. I spent my first ten months in LA without a car; general rule of thumb was that it took 3 times longer to get anywhere with public transport. Now in London and still want to weep with joy every time I see the Underground map.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Jun 14th 2013 at 2:35 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely hire a car... Can't even imagine getting around LA without one.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Definitely hire a car... Can't even imagine getting around LA without one.
I agree.

My husband spends most of his time working in LA. He has a workshop in West Hollywood. He does not drive. He spends a lot of time on buses and it's very tiring; it takes an hour by bus to get from West Hollywood to Westwood (one way). When he comes home to Phoenix, he flies out of LAX. He takes a taxi from West Hollywood to LAX, it costs $40 one way.

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Forget public transport. It's quite possible the people you want to see are several blocks from the nearest public transport bus stop/train station, or it'll involve multiple buses and thus hassle.

That said, if your origin and destination are close to train/subway stations, it can work out well - and cheap.

If you hire a car, get one with satnav (GPS in local lingo). You really don't want to be navigating an unfamiliar area AND driving!

If you have the cash, and lots of it... taxi. That is the only realistic way of achieving your goals in one day (!), though you say you don't have much.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Get practising in a car.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

hi,
I'm off to LA in July for a day to meet with various people before my move to the States in October. I don't have a huge amount of money and from my research i can see that the public transport system isn't quite as good as it is in London ;-)

I will be going from LAX - West Hollywood - Century City - Santa Monica - LAX. I'm nervous about hiring a car as I haven't driven in about 10 years and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get around? There seem to be lots of bus companies and it's not clear which is the best to go with!

Thank you
Hire a car. If you have a sat-nav, load the US on to it and bring it with you.

LAX to your destinations is really easy though the traffic might be heavy.

Where are you going in Century City?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

hi,

Thank you
Even with a car doing those places is going to be a bit of a wreck given that they are along the busiest traffic corridors in LA.

There is a metro but it is hub and spoked around downtown. However, the West Hollywood - Century City - Santa Monica has a pretty frequent bus service.

However, since you don't have the time you should maybe look into a car service for the day. I know money is tight but if you really are booked up with interviews better to spend a bit of money and make it to those interviews than to have spent all that money on airfare and miss out on some of them.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

But you've kept up your license?

Regards, JEff
I haven't driven in about 10 years ...
Old Jun 14th 2013, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
But you've kept up your license?

Regards, JEff
Licenses don't expire in the UK every 3 or 4 years like they do here.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely hire a car AND driver for the day.
Arrange for it to meet you at airport arrivals and return you to airport departures at days end.
Just consider it a necessary investment.
In your circumstances - Forget public transportation/ it's just not feasible

Oh...and good luck.....welcome to LA
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

canarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud of

Thank you for the replies.

I know this might sound a little crazy but I'm thinking of getting a cab to West Hollywood then walking in between my meetings as I'd like to see a bit of the city. Then taxi from Santa Monica back to LAX. I do love walking around and I'm so worried about driving that I think I will end up at my meetings in a right panic!!!!

After the terrible summers we've had over here I'm looking forward to a bit of vitamin D!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:58 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies.

I know this might sound a little crazy but I'm thinking of getting a cab to West Hollywood then walking in between my meetings as I'd like to see a bit of the city. Then taxi from Santa Monica back to LAX. I do love walking around and I'm so worried about driving that I think I will end up at my meetings in a right panic!!!!

After the terrible summers we've had over here I'm looking forward to a bit of vitamin D!
I love walking around cities, but, trust me... walking is not how you want to see LA! It's nice to stroll around each distinct area (Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Santa Monica etc etc) but you really need to drive to get from one to the other. LA is very big, and there are long dull stretches in between defined districts. You will spend most of your time looking at liquor stores and box warehouses. For a lot of the time you will be the only pedestrian, and you'll stick out like a sore thumb (it can be particularly uncomfortable walking under freeway overpasses, of which there are plenty).

Walking from West Hollywood to Century City will take a good hour and a half. You could probably plot a picturesque route through Beverly Hills, but it would take longer.

Walking from Century City to Santa Monica would take about two hours, and would not be a nice walk. For most of it you'd be tramping alongside a very wide, busy road (no matter which of the big east/west routes you take: Pico, Olympic, Wilshire).

Don't do it to yourself! Especially if you have meetings.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Jun 17th 2013 at 11:04 am.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ah ok. I google mapped it out, which suggested it would be a little quicker but I guess it doesn't add time for crossing those big roads and I think my walking pace will be much slower as I will be following a map.

I really don't fancy the long stretches of liquor stores, warehouses and nothingness so I think I will investigate a car service and/or taxis and just bite the bullet on the money front. Thank you for your help!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:29 pm
Misses Los Angeles

I really don't fancy the long stretches of liquor stores, warehouses and nothingness so I think I will investigate a car service and/or taxis and just bite the bullet on the money front. Thank you for your help!
Sorry to be a downer about the buses and walking. But that's LA! Hope you enjoy it regardless.

Decent and reliable cab company:

http://www.layellowcab.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.