I prefer the US System
21.31%
I prefer the UK System
78.69%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Public or Private Health Care?

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public or Private Health Care?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I've read certain things about infant mortality....although haven't seen stats in comparison to the UK. However, I did find a chart (albeit old) that gave life expectancy rates among countries

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000b.htm

The difference between the UK and the US is pretty small. Did you have other information?
Life expectancy at birth (2006)

US: 77.85
UK: 78.54

Infant mortality (deaths/1000 live births) (2006)

US: 6.43
UK: 5.08

Source: CIA World Handbook

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications...ook/index.html
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

To put a positive spin on the situation...does anyone reco one of the universal plans under development?

One site I came across is: http://www.uhcan.org/

Am also reading up on the joint repub/demo plan that has a chance of moving forward.

Trying to learn what I can so that I can nag our Congressmen appropriately, and keep an eye on which candidates are backing which plan.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
Life expectancy at birth (2006)

US: 77.85
UK: 78.54

Infant mortality (deaths/1000 live births) (2006)

US: 6.43
UK: 5.08

Source: CIA World Handbook

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications...ook/index.html
Still a pretty small gap. Thanks for the information.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I have to say that your very brief wait in a US ED is more the exception than the norm.

NC Penguin
Absolutely.

I've posted before. Our business partner cut his arm with a circular saw a while back. Husband rushed him to the ER and sat around for hours and hours dripping blood on the floor (with the best healthcare insurance - he's wealthy and one of the area's best hospitals) with the staff doing bugger all for him. Dh had to keep bandaging him up. This is the norm in the US.

A maintenance sub-contractor at an apt complex we lived in years ago died from cancer of the stomach, without getting any painkillers, meds for his condition or seeing a doctor as he could not afford healthcare.

I know a couple who died within months of each other in absolute squalor, cancer, as he'd lost his job through being ill, had lost his health insurance, savings gone, and they couldn't afford to eat never mind meds.

That is the reality of healthcare here. It would not have happened in most other countries.

45 million and growing every year.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
I've been lucky through the years. Never was sick until I had breast cancer in 1991. Since the BC it has been a diagnosis of diabetes. Never have I had to complete any paperwork. Even with an HMO for the BC, the worse paperwork was getting the referral slip but that was nothing as the doctors worked with one another, i.e. gyn with the breast surgeon, with the hospital and they were the ones who contacted the healthcare provider, not me.

With the diabetes, it has been a non-paper trail for me and never have had issue with the healthcare provider (BlueCross) in regards to meds, monthly blood testing, classes, etc. So through it all my only concern has been for my health and not the paperchase or payment of bills. I count myself very very fortunate.

My oldest who just had a baby in January has no medical insurance. Fortunately for her, her husband had the insurance money from the insurance companies after he was wiped out in Katrina. So they paid their OBYN, the hospital and the baby's doctor cash upfront. Because they did they were given huge discounts on the bills. After the birth they were visited by a social worker who wanted to sign the baby up for medicare since they had no insurance but they declined as they felt they could afford to pay for his care.

They are looking for private healthcare but while the premiums are affordable ($845 a month for the family with BlueCross) the deductibles are outrageous.

My paperchase trail is with dental coverage. I have my own from my company, Atena, and from my husband which is CSEA. I just had to have my six front teeth worked on. Aetna refused to pay for anything while CSEA paid the entire thing. It was a back and forth thing with Atena and as a result I dropped that coverage and now only have CSEA. BTW CSEA is with the teacher's union so very fortunate there but will lose that when Jim retires in three years.

As for medicaid, I'm amazed that some people claim that they can qualify for medicaid if they have not worked 40 quarters. Jim was denied coverage even though he is 65 because he does not have 40 quarters since he only emigrated to the US at age 58 and started working then. He also cannot get his own SSI retirement but can draw on mine which we don't want because it will lower my monthly payments when I retire in 7 years. So retirement issues are the major thing in our lives, both retirement checks and healthcare.

There is no easy answers and whatever they come up with won't benefit me as it will take years to get a national healthcare plan in place and working properly.
That is the reason so many retirees are moving to Chile/Panama/Costa Rica etc. Can't afford to live here anymore. Sad, isn't it?
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
That is the reason so many retirees are moving to Chile/Panama/Costa Rica etc. Can't afford to live here anymore. Sad, isn't it?
It is sad...but it's just as sad as the Brits retiring to Spain, etc. In both cases I think that overall cost of living is a factor (that and wanting year round sunshine), and not strictly health care.

In Britain we watched our neighbour die of heart disease as he was discharged due to a shortage of beds. He was 80 and put in the care of his 85 yr old sister...they shared a flat above ours. She was left to tend to him full-time, and the poor dear could barely get round. Called for an ambulance at the end and they didn't show for over a day--too busy. He died at home in the most horrible of manner. This poor woman was beyond traumatised.

It was very sad, and most certainly does happen in Britain. We have a friend who has waited 18 months for removal of an ovarian cyst. She was due to have the Op in June and has been delayed again. She hasn't worked in 2 years due to the pain...her private insurance won't touch the case.

These problems happen everywhere....unfortunately.

Last edited by jen_andreson; Jul 22nd 2006 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Absolutely.

I've posted before. Our business partner cut his arm with a circular saw a while back. Husband rushed him to the ER and sat around for hours and hours dripping blood on the floor (with the best healthcare insurance - he's wealthy and one of the area's best hospitals) with the staff doing bugger all for him. Dh had to keep bandaging him up. This is the norm in the US.

A maintenance sub-contractor at an apt complex we lived in years ago died from cancer of the stomach, without getting any painkillers, meds for his condition or seeing a doctor as he could not afford healthcare.

I know a couple who died within months of each other in absolute squalor, cancer, as he'd lost his job through being ill, had lost his health insurance, savings gone, and they couldn't afford to eat never mind meds.

That is the reality of healthcare here. It would not have happened in most other countries.

45 million and growing every year.

My grandfather just died two months ago, he had several health concerns (he was 89) congestive heart failure, pancreatic cancer - both he'd had for years and had been treated succesfully for, for years. My grandparents are not wealthy by any means, they have medicare and have a supplement insurance, plus my grandfather was able to get his medications and treatment because he was a army veteran (most US men can also get this, if they've served in the military) He had very good healthcare and was able to die peacefully at home (with the help of hospice) He was never denied any care, nor did he go without medications.

I think there are a lot of horror stories - on both sides. But, nothing is the "norm" here, nor is it in the UK. Some councils have really good healthcare and some are pretty damn scary. While I don't agree with this country not providing for their citizens who are stuck with no medical insurance (I certainly was among them and I know how it feels) I still think there are good things about medical care here as well.

As I said previously, you can't really say which is better. Unless you're in a bad situation, then its pretty obvious, or a good situation..... As said by other posters, I do hope that the US can get around to figuring out a universal healthcare....
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
It is sad...but it's just as sad as the Brits retiring to Spain, etc. In both cases I think that overall cost of living is a factor (that and wanting year round sunshine), and not strictly health care.

In Britain we watched our neighbour die of heart disease as he was discharged due to a shortage of beds. He was 80 and put in the care of his 85 yr old sister...they shared a flat above ours. She was left to tend to him full-time, and the poor dear could barely get round. Called for an ambulance and the end and they didn't show--too busy. He died at home in the most horrible of manner.

It was very sad, and most certainly does happen in Britain. We have a friend who has waited 18 months for removal of an ovarian cyst. She was due to have the Op in June and has been delayed again. She hasn't worked in 2 years...and her private insurance won't touch the case.

These problems happen everywhere....
Our Nan is 86 and living in a home in England. We tried to get her over here, but the system was set against her (medically). With the sale of her house and all life's savings put together, she has about 5 years worth of monthly payments for the home she's in.
Oh, yeah - very equitable. Work yer whole life and save just to have it all taken away as a trade for the last few years.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gardnma
Our Nan is 86 and living in a home in England. We tried to get her over here, but the system was set against her (medically). With the sale of her house and all life's savings put together, she has about 5 years worth of monthly payments for the home she's in.
Oh, yeah - very equitable. Work yer whole life and save just to have it all taken away as a trade for the last few years.
That's so sad about your Nan. Are you saying that she doesn't get any UK government help with the fees for her home? I know it can be this way in the US, but I've no experience with the UK care homes.

The above mentioned 85 yr old was going to go to Australia to live with her daughter, and her visa was denied...as she is too old. So, she remains in Britain on her own.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
That's so sad about your Nan. Are you saying that she doesn't get any UK government help with the fees for her home? I know it can be this way in the US, but I've no experience with the UK care homes.

The above mentioned 85 yr old was going to go to Australia to live with her daughter, and her visa was denied...as she is too old. So, she remains in Britain on her own.
Not being a US resident, she couldn't get ANY health care assitance in the US. Residency would have taken too long for her age and frailty, so in the end the decision was made to "send her back". She will get a kicker from the UK toward UK home costs when her savings are depleted. Aparantly, these days, there are less and less options for state homes in the UK, but its still a more viable option than her staying here in the US with us.

Thanks for your reply, all the best.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is the same here for the elderly. Fortunately my father was able to live in an in-law apartment in my sister's house for the last 25 years. Now at the age of 90 he finally had to be placed in a nursing home because he needs 24/7 in nursing care. We had to liquidate all life insurance policies, turn those funds and all his money to the nursing home before he could be accepted. That includes is social security check, his veteran's disability check, and his pension. He is not allowed to have one penny in assets. It does suck big time to work all your life, to save and plan, only to have it all taken from you before you die.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not being a US resident, she couldn't get ANY health care assitance in the US. Residency would have taken too long for her age and frailty, so in the end the decision was made to "send her back". She will get a kicker from the UK toward UK home costs when her savings are depleted. Aparantly, these days, there are less and less options for state homes in the UK, but its still a more viable option than her staying here in the US with us.

Thanks for your reply, all the best.
I'm sorry about your Nans ordeal. Best wishes to her, and to you.

I see what you mean--I wasn't clear before if you were referring to US or UK depleting her funds. It's a shame that she can't join you, but that would be the same in the UK, wouldn't it? I mean, my in-laws (Americans) couldn't move there and get care (firstly as Americans cannot move over without work permits or visa's and secondly as they wouldn't be residents). That's why I mentioned the UKC who couldn't go to Australia--I think most countries are careful about letting OAPs in, knowing they need care.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

It is the same here for the elderly. Fortunately my father was able to live in an in-law apartment in my sister's house for the last 25 years. Now at the age of 90 he finally had to be placed in a nursing home because he needs 24/7 in nursing care. We had to liquidate all life insurance policies, turn those funds and all his money to the nursing home before he could be accepted. That includes is social security check, his veteran's disability check, and his pension. He is not allowed to have one penny in assets. It does suck big time to work all your life, to save and plan, only to have it all taken from you before you die.
Glad to say we agree.
24/7 is what she has in Bath. Nowadays, it seems we have to be money management experts to pull off looking after our parents when they need more than breakfast and a bed. Its all a bit demeaning for them, they deserve to have the benefit of their life's labours in their last few years.
A silly little point, but it seems to matter......
Think I'll go back to looking at holiday cottages in the UK, this is getting depressing.

Cheers.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's a shame. That's one reason we told our parents not to hoard too much money or to try to save too much to pass on to us or the grandchildren. If they end up in a home then the money will disappear, so they may as well enjoy it now. That's the case for mine in the UK and hubbies folks in the US.

It's so depressing...
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Still a pretty small gap. Thanks for the information.
You're right. My point is that a nation that spends 250% more per head should expect to be much better, not slightly worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.