I prefer the US System
21.31%
I prefer the UK System
78.69%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Public or Private Health Care?

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public or Private Health Care?

Originally Posted by Kate2112
The NHS wouldn't and to be fair neither would most decent US medical facilities.
Very true, Kate.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of

Interesting Thread.

My mum is an NHS Manager, and one of her colleagues did a stint in the US, think in New York, a while back and had quite a disturbing story to tell about a young girl who had a scan which revealed a brain tuma. She came from a poor family who lived in a poor neighborhood, and as a result didn't have health insurance and couldn't afford the treatment. She ended up dieing because she didn't have the money or any prospect of money so didn't get treated. I know that is a pretty extreme case, but that would never happen with the NHS, that young girl would of got treated and probably lived. That for me, is where the US health system is wrong because it's only really a worthwhile service for those who can afford it, and their isn't really anywhere to go for the others. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The NHS is flawed, the waiting lists, waiting times etc. but the fact is that it there for everyone and provides treatment for everyone when they really need it without the financial stress. It's too easy to critisise the NHS, as a Brit I am proud of it. If you have the money, private health care is always there for you if you want it, but the NHS is in my opinion underated by many Brits and taken for granted. It's a superb resource.

Last edited by Rob B; Jul 22nd 2006 at 1:03 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:12 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure many people here could bring up positive and negative tales of how the NHS is wonderful/awful and the US system the same. A decent Universal healthcare system in the US would be a marvellous thing. If it were well planned, well implemented and kept up to date with taxes being raised to cope with the incredible initial influx of people wanting to get their dollars worth.
Its going to take time to do this in the US and maybe it will never be done but it is up to the USC's whether they choose this path or not.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:14 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob B
Interesting Thread.
The NHS is flawed, the waiting lists, waiting times etc. but the fact is that it there for everyone and provides treatment for everyone when they really need it without the financial stress. It's too easy to critisise the NHS, as a Brit I am proud of it. If you have the money, private health care is always there for you if you want it, but the NHS is in my opinion underated by many Brits and taken for granted. It's a superb resource.

You're still in the UK right Rob? Interesting post, because in these discussions it often comes down to a "you dont appreciate what you;ve got till you've lost it" sort of point. Its pretty uncommon to see people appreciating it before they lose it! Totally agree.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:24 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

This is a question to anyone living in America. What are your thoughts on the US's Private Health Service in comparison to the UK's Public Health Service?

What would you like to see improved with the US Health System? Would you rather pay more taxes and have a public service that covers everyone?

Discuss? I'm interested
US system - Better your job/income: better the heath coverage.
UK system - Speed of service aside, universal.

I'd pay more taxes for a NHS type system here in the US. Certainly sleep at night if unemployed.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
You're still in the UK right Rob? Interesting post, because in these discussions it often comes down to a "you dont appreciate what you;ve got till you've lost it" sort of point. Its pretty uncommon to see people appreciating it before they lose it! Totally agree.
Well I hope to do a stint in the States in a few years, if it happened, probably on a tight budget, I would fear slipping on a wet floor, breaking my leg and ending up completely buggered financially.

How much is health insurance?
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:40 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Well I hope to do a stint in the States in a few years, if it happened, probably on a tight budget, I would fear slipping on a wet floor, breaking my leg and ending up completely buggered financially.

Well, if you were to break a leg, you'd probably come out of it with just the one arm and an expensive cast for your only remaining leg.

All I know is private health ins. for a family is about $1100 to $1300 per month.
Singles, anyone else?
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Better stay there Rob, if you're worried about it.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

my impression will probably change as our insurance has now dropped down 3 times to $60 a month for coverage that is 5x better...$15 co to see doc, 100% on illness and refunds for preventative things and refunds on alternative medicine, and also 80% on elective stuff.

on previous insurance, even though we had a $20 co pay, wait to see the doctor was 2-3 weeks and if it was urgent we were told to go to the hospital....so that's a lot worse than the UK....

dental care is more expensive, but I've got good cover for that too, so not bad...My eye ball cover is a bit weak, and it's hard to compare costs, but I'd say without insurance it's a lot more expensive over here, and it's something that usually isn't covered by insurance.

so what system do I prefer, overall, the UK system because it has been good to me, yes it has faults, but you have a fall back of getting private, over here, you don't have a safety net unless your practically homeless and your paying a fortune in insurance and taxes for service that could be great, or shite, last dental appointment, bloke was late by 40 mins...back in blighty my dentist was never more than 10 mins, not a great comparrison, but goes to show that shiny marble floors and gold taps doesnt' always equate to good service under the surface.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I truly don't think you can say one is better than the other. Like others I've had good and bad service from both. I can see both sides of the coin, etc. So, a poll deciding on one or the other doesn't quite cover the whole issue.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

spending a year in maine, without insurance, scary stuff watching out for snow and ice, which you can't avoid

and as for cost, it depends on if your single or have a family...if you have a PPO or HMO, if you have dental coverage and what kind of co-pays and deductables you have a year are, so can range from employer paying it all to average of $150-250 a month for a family plan, though obviously it can be a lot more...and your paying social and medicare/caid, which you can't claim for...
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
..... (but you do have to pay NI as well, although I still don't think it gets up to the same level as the extortionate premiums here), .....
See my other post recently: For me (British taxes + compulsory payroll deductions) were significantly greater than (US taxes + compulsory payroll deductions + medical insurance).

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 22nd 2006 at 3:35 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Pulaski
See my other post recently: For me (British taxes + compulsory payroll deductions) were significantly greater than (US taxes + compulsory payroll deductions + medical insurance).
ain't typical though is it....usually works out roughly the same, but here, you have to pay on point of delivery on top of all that insurance and tax...
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Can't do your poll as I haven't experienced government sponsored healthcare. However, I am happy with my private healthcare. I can see any doctor I wish for a $15 fee and there is no deductible for tests and/or hospital treatments. Now when the time comes when I don't have that insurance, yikes I will have to consider moving to Canada.

In all truthfulness I would love to see the US have a US Health Plan for all legal residents of the US.

This is a question to anyone living in America. What are your thoughts on the US's Private Health Service in comparison to the UK's Public Health Service?

What would you like to see improved with the US Health System? Would you rather pay more taxes and have a public service that covers everyone?

Discuss? I'm interested
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:02 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Your poll is like comparing apples to oranges. IMHO it would be better to ask people's opinion of private healthcare in the UK versus private healthcare in the US.

As your poll stands, the more money you can afford to spend on healthcare in the US, the faster and arguably better the treatment.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.