British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Proxy vote (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/proxy-vote-928960/)

sarasota chic Oct 30th 2019 8:02 pm

Proxy vote

How do I register for a vote by proxy for the up coming U.K. election? I was previously registered in the U.K until we moved here in 2017. TIA.

lansbury Oct 30th 2019 8:41 pm

Re: Proxy vote

Check with the elections office for the constituency where you used to live. Problem with a proxy vote is your proxy either has to go to the polling station you would have voted at, or arrange for themselves to vote by post on your behalf. Will they have time to do the latter?

When we arranged for a postal vote Hillingdon allowed it to be done online. Not doing a proxy vote as the time constraints beat us.

Andrews Mum Oct 30th 2019 10:23 pm

We registered to vote through the gov.uk website. We’ve elected for a postal vote, rather than a proxy vote, as we have no family or close friends living in constituency in which we were are registered to vote. The process was very quick as our local electoral office emailed the postal vote request forms to us straightaway, and we emailed them back. Hopefully we will receive the ballot papers in good time to be able to return them by the 12th December, but adding the Christmas post into the mix, we’ll see! Good luck with your proxy vote.

RICH Oct 31st 2019 12:07 am

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
Your proxy. can apply for postal vote on yor behalf if they can't get to your precinct. If set up in time it would remove the international mail delay.

sarasota chic Oct 31st 2019 1:06 am

Thank you for your replies, my sister will be my proxy she only lives 7 miles from where we were registered in the U.K. I’ll look on the gov.uk site.

park99 Nov 16th 2019 3:31 pm

Hope you have sorted it out as the GE is coming soon!

I asked a good friend of mine who lives across the road to be my proxy and I have just got all the registration sorted. The local council told me my friend would get a notification soon.
One thing I would say is that this friend of mine is very much on the same page as me when it comes to politics, so I felt comfortable to ask the favour.

sarasota chic Nov 16th 2019 9:17 pm

Thank you Park 99 I have sorted it I sent the form by email and had an automated response should be good for December 12th, my sister will be my proxy she has the same political views as I do.

Originally Posted by park99 (Post 12764712)
Hope you have sorted it out as the GE is coming soon!

I asked a good friend of mine who lives across the road to be my proxy and I have just got all the registration sorted. The local council told me my friend would get a notification soon.
One thing I would say is that this friend of mine is very much on the same page as me when it comes to politics, so I felt comfortable to ask the favour.

Tilbury1 Nov 17th 2019 12:20 pm

The Electoral Commission are recommending proxy voting, they are not sure postal votes from abroad will make it back on time.

Anyone struggling to find a proxy you may find the local party is able to help you

lansbury Nov 17th 2019 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tilbury1 (Post 12765003)
Anyone struggling to find a proxy you may find the local party is able to help you

The problem with that is you have to name the person holding your proxy vote on the form. Not that easy to arrange through a local party. They would do it but it would take time to arrange someone. We decided if the ballots get here we will overnight FedEx/UPS them back. We vote in John McDonnell's constituency, and it's worth $100 to get them back.

Tilbury1 Nov 18th 2019 2:54 pm

Fed-Ex is a good idea to make sure your ballot paper gets back in time.

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12765100)
The problem with that is you have to name the person holding your proxy vote on the form. Not that easy to arrange through a local party. They would do it but it would take time to arrange someone. We decided if the ballots get here we will overnight FedEx/UPS them back. We vote in John McDonnell's constituency, and it's worth $100 to get them back.