Reload this Page >

Providing a copy of SS card

Wikiposts

Providing a copy of SS card

Old May 25th 2006, 1:30 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Providing a copy of SS card

Originally Posted by abboy
I am applying to lease a car , I have provided my SSN but the dealer still want me to fax him a copy of my SS card. Is this a norm? I thought only employer is allowed to request for my a copy of my SS card.

I am uncomfortable to let him make a copy of my SS card, Isnt my SSN enough? I have also provided my drivers license info, my work offer letter. With all this info, I am already at risk of identity theft.
The guy has your SSN, so if any damage was to be done that's all a person would need. The only reason I could see the guy asking for a copy of the card would be to make sure you were really giving him your SSN.

I would have at least asked why the copy was needed and that you wanted it back after the credit check was done if he wouldn't do it without it.

The Privacy Act regulates the use of SSNs by government agencies. When a Federal, State, or local government agency asks an individual to disclose his or her Social Security number, the Privacy Act requires the agency to inform the person of the following: the statutory or other authority for requesting the information; whether disclosure is mandatory or voluntary; what uses will be made of the information; and the consequences, if any, of failure to provide the information.

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested.

Giving your number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.
Old May 25th 2006, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
The guy has your SSN, so if any damage was to be done that's all a person would need. The only reason I could see the guy asking for a copy of the card would be to make sure you were really giving him your SSN.

I would have at least asked why the copy was needed and that you wanted it back after the credit check was done if he wouldn't do it without it.

The Privacy Act regulates the use of SSNs by government agencies. When a Federal, State, or local government agency asks an individual to disclose his or her Social Security number, the Privacy Act requires the agency to inform the person of the following: the statutory or other authority for requesting the information; whether disclosure is mandatory or voluntary; what uses will be made of the information; and the consequences, if any, of failure to provide the information.

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested.

Giving your number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.
I have refused to give my SS number many times and never had any problems.
Old May 25th 2006, 1:43 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have refused to give my SS number many times and never had any problems.
The service or item you were trying to obtain could have been refused and you couldn't have done anything about it if they had insisted on you giving them your SSN.

But that does go to show that people shouldn't be so quick to give up their SSN when asked.
Old May 25th 2006, 1:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
The service or item you were trying to obtain could have been refused and you couldn't have done anything about it if they had insisted on you giving them your SSN.

But that does go to show that people shouldn't be so quick to give up their SSN when asked.
Well in that case......its their problem. They need my money......I don't need them.......I can go elsewhere. Their problem is they want me to think that I need them.......and I know I don't.
Old May 25th 2006, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

All car sales people are liars and should be treated as such !

I spent my first 6 months working here as a car sales man and they tried hard to make me like them but it didn't work. I was sometimes discusted by the things they did behind customers backs with the use of their SS number, laughing out loud at customers credit history if less than perfect, then once refused credit they would keep popping in to the credit history now and again to show a hit, all those hits make the record even worse. I have seen this going on months after a customer has gone away.
Old May 25th 2006, 5:23 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Never had to show my SS card to anyone, including employers.

As for the car thing, I don't even set foot on a dealer's lot unless I've already negotiated the final price. Bring outside financing with me - if the dealer can do better, fair enough. But I also won't leave the lot until the financing is finished.
Old May 25th 2006, 11:59 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
nope do not give it or show it to anyone......my cpa accountant neighbour told me yesterday about his identity theft last fall....his ss number was stolen and the thieves tried to open a visa account with it, he's still not sure where the thieves got their info from. i had a run in with a local drs 4 yrs ago when i tried to register they wanted my ss number and i asked what for, they said their records and they said i could not see the dr unless i gave it so off i went and found another dr that would take other info instead. only last week i was standing behind an old boy in walgreen's the chemist and he was picking up his prescription and the lady behind the counter asked him for his ss number and the poor old boy duly gave it out loud...when it was my turn to be served i reminded the walgreen's lady about it and informed her that i now had the old boy's ss number and did she realise i could steel his identity....it's unbelievable how naive this lot are, no wonder identity theft is growing...give it to no-one..if they want your business they'll take other details/info.

I've been stood behind two of those old dears myself this week doing the same thing!
Old May 26th 2006, 12:00 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hey.....nice avatar.

Thanks!
Old May 26th 2006, 12:01 am
Blondie22

Originally Posted by TruBrit
not as nice as mine

Oh I beg to differ!
Old May 26th 2006, 1:54 am
Peter21

One problem with arriving in USA is that you almost immediately have to deal with two of the biggest groups of slimebags -- real estate agents and car sales people.

Old May 26th 2006, 3:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Peter21
One problem with arriving in USA is that you almost immediately have to deal with two of the biggest groups of slimebags -- real estate agents and car sales people.

Can't be done with realtors myself. All that part of the family routine, mithering every 5 minutes, isn't for me. Don't you just love the photos on their business card, soft focus taken 50 yrs ago? LOL.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:19 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Never had to show my SS card to anyone, including employers.

As for the car thing, I don't even set foot on a dealer's lot unless I've already negotiated the final price. Bring outside financing with me - if the dealer can do better, fair enough. But I also won't leave the lot until the financing is finished.
I guess that you have, or have heard of people who have, been "spotted" into a new car without the finance being settled.

I hate that business but understand why it is done in the retail market.

Your system, of having finance pre-arranged so that you have a base line to refer to makes a lot of sense for the normal retail customer.

It's nice to "meet" an intelligent shopper.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:45 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abboy
I am applying to lease a car , I have provided my SSN but the dealer still want me to fax him a copy of my SS card. Is this a norm? I thought only employer is allowed to request for my a copy of my SS card.

I am uncomfortable to let him make a copy of my SS card, Isnt my SSN enough? I have also provided my drivers license info, my work offer letter. With all this info, I am already at risk of identity theft.

Should I just personally show my SS card to him but not let him make a copy?

What are you thoughts?
Speaking as a Commercial Account Manager in a seriously large Ford dealer, who has several customers who are not US citizens.

I have never asked to see a customer's SSN card and cannot imagine why I would. This does not mean that some customers have not volunteered them to me. However, I have never photocopied one.

Either you have a credit score here or you don't. Having a copy of the SSN card will not affect that.

Personally, I have never shown or copied my own SSN card to anyone.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Peter21

Aren't you the opinionated slob who lives in Iowa ?

Apparently there are good reasons, based on your own experiences, for not living in the place you previously claimed is such a paradise.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 2:35 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Your system, of having finance pre-arranged so that you have a base line to refer to makes a lot of sense for the normal retail customer.

It's nice to "meet" an intelligent shopper.
Thanks. Actually, all three new cars I've bought have been dealer financed. I just came with my own 'baseline' as you say. If you have a good credit score, there is some incentive for a dealer to get you a few fractions better to help him out with the 'package'. Plus, since my buying tactics tend to take me a couple of hundred miles from home, it's often easier to take the dealer finance if he gives me an equivalent or better rate. I have no problem with that. (I know several people who would never do dealer finance.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.