Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Providing a copy of SS card

Providing a copy of SS card

Old May 25th 2006, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default Providing a copy of SS card

I am applying to lease a car , I have provided my SSN but the dealer still want me to fax him a copy of my SS card. Is this a norm? I thought only employer is allowed to request for my a copy of my SS card.

I am uncomfortable to let him make a copy of my SS card, Isnt my SSN enough? I have also provided my drivers license info, my work offer letter. With all this info, I am already at risk of identity theft.

Should I just personally show my SS card to him but not let him make a copy?

What are you thoughts?
Old May 25th 2006, 10:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Providing a copy of SS card

ID theft is indeed rife. But I can't really see letting him copy the card is going to open you up any further to this problem. However, it does show the dealer is getting the upper hand and dictating terms which isn't a good place to be. How desperate are you for the credit? Unless you are taking a manufacturer's zero or near zero incentive offer, it's nearly always best to arrange the financing separately and not through the dealer.

Unless, of course, you're going for leasing. :scared:

Hope you thoroughly read Car Buying Tips before approaching the sharks.
Old May 25th 2006, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abboy
I am applying to lease a car , I have provided my SSN but the dealer still want me to fax him a copy of my SS card. Is this a norm? I thought only employer is allowed to request for my a copy of my SS card.

I am uncomfortable to let him make a copy of my SS card, Isnt my SSN enough? I have also provided my drivers license info, my work offer letter. With all this info, I am already at risk of identity theft.

What are you thoughts?
Tell him you'll take your business elsewhere. I've never shown my SS card to anyone neither has my hubby. I always take the view that it is them that want your business and the piper plays the tune.
Old May 25th 2006, 11:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Tell him you'll take your business elsewhere. I've never shown my SS card to anyone neither has my hubby. I always take the view that it is them that want your business and the piper plays the tune.
that's true, it's how they make there money, so if you can show that you'll get a better deal with less hassle from the bank, they might listen
Old May 25th 2006, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

What are you thoughts?
nope do not give it or show it to anyone......my cpa accountant neighbour told me yesterday about his identity theft last fall....his ss number was stolen and the thieves tried to open a visa account with it, he's still not sure where the thieves got their info from. i had a run in with a local drs 4 yrs ago when i tried to register they wanted my ss number and i asked what for, they said their records and they said i could not see the dr unless i gave it so off i went and found another dr that would take other info instead. only last week i was standing behind an old boy in walgreen's the chemist and he was picking up his prescription and the lady behind the counter asked him for his ss number and the poor old boy duly gave it out loud...when it was my turn to be served i reminded the walgreen's lady about it and informed her that i now had the old boy's ss number and did she realise i could steel his identity....it's unbelievable how naive this lot are, no wonder identity theft is growing...give it to no-one..if they want your business they'll take other details/info.
Old May 25th 2006, 11:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Car dealer told me they would only accept a banker's draft for payment, didn't feel like making a special trip to the bank, so told him he would have to make do with a personal cheque or lose the deal. Guess what.....he took a personal cheque.

Car salesmen act like they're doing you a big favour and can dictate the terms, not to this Brit they can't.
Old May 25th 2006, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Car dealer told me they would only accept a banker's draft for payment, didn't feel like making a special trip to the bank, so told him he would have to make do with a personal cheque or lose the deal. Guess what.....he took a personal cheque.
course he would....he'll run a credit check then take any form of payment
Old May 25th 2006, 11:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TruBrit
course he would....he'll run a credit check then take any form of payment

They think you're stupid and you'll do whatever they say, especially if its a woman.

Another thing that annoys me is when its gonna be my car and they talk to my husband. One salesman actually called my husband to negotiate, think it was because I was busting his balls. So I went to another dealer, a few days later he called my husband again, and was told he lost the deal because he didn't call me. LOL.
Old May 25th 2006, 11:54 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

What are you thoughts?

I wouldn't do it, they shouldn't need it IMO.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by blaze
I wouldn't do it, they shouldn't need it IMO.
Hey.....nice avatar.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Hey.....nice avatar.
not as nice as mine
Old May 26th 2006, 12:14 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
not as nice as mine
If you're into the Rocky Horror type stuff...then yeah!

I wouldn't even go back there again, find another dealer, they're dime a dozen, most who want to throw money at you.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
If you're into the Rocky Horror type stuff...then yeah!

I wouldn't even go back there again, find another dealer, they're dime a dozen, most who want to throw money at you.
Better still go to cars.com or similar site. Find how much the car will cost you through one of the internet dealers, look through all the dealerships in your area and source the exact spec. you want. Print out the quotation, take it to the dealership, tell them where the vehicle is that you want, then tell them if they can better or match the internet price, you'll consider doing business with them. I have done this twice now and its worked each time.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I hate car salesmen. The first time I went to one here, actually the first time ever, I was pretty sure I wanted the car so started talking price with the guy. An hour later I just thought he was talking crap so left. The next one I went to me and my father in law tag teamed the guy and he got so pissed he yelled at us and his boss called him into his office. Ended up getting a deposit that they wanted "to secure the car" from $500 non refundable but would be taken of the price of the car to $25 that was refunded when I picked the car up and a price that now 2 years on can still squeeze a slight profit from the car if I sold it (acording to edmunds.)
Old May 26th 2006, 12:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

They always try to push you into buying a car that they have on their books. Source the car you want and tell them to get it for you if they want the sale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.