British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pros and cons of being a USA citizen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pros-cons-being-usa-citizen-878509/)

Rete Jun 9th 2016 4:54 pm

Re: Pros and cons of being a USA citizen

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11967770)
True, but probably also more on local market. Cold weather area and manuals are tougher to get a hold of around here new and if you do see second hand, they're usually a bargain compared to the automatics.

Daughter bought her manual transmission Nissan in Florida and hubby will only drive manuals, even his truck, and bought it here in NY. It was an Izuzu <sp>. The only manual I own previously was a Subaru. Guess foreign imports are easier to get with manual transmissions.

sir_eccles Jun 9th 2016 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 11969264)
Daughter bought her manual transmission Nissan in Florida and hubby will only drive manuals, even his truck, and bought it here in NY. It was an Izuzu <sp>. The only manual I own previously was a Subaru. Guess foreign imports are easier to get with manual transmissions.

Hey, I know people don't like Indiana, but that's taking it a bit far!

Pulaski Jun 9th 2016 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11969268)

You'll be telling us BMW is a South Carolina company, Mercedes is run by a bunch of good ol' boys from Alabama, and Honda is based in Ohio next. :rolleyes:

sir_eccles Jun 9th 2016 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11969273)
You'll be telling us BMW is a South Carolina company, Mercedes is run by a bunch of good ol' boys from Alabama, and Honda is based in Ohio next. :rolleyes:

Yes, and GMC, Chevy, Ford et al are all Mexican.

mrken30 Jun 9th 2016 5:16 pm

Finding the manual option when ordering a new car limits the manufacturer you can choose from. I didn't see a manual option in a new Subaru Outback :( I did find out that a manual Jeep can pull 3000 lbs more than an auto after I bought it :(

sir_eccles Jun 9th 2016 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11969280)
Finding the manual option when ordering a new car limits the manufacturer you can choose from. I didn't see a manual option in a new Subaru Outback :( I did find out that a manual Jeep can pull 3000 lbs more than an auto after I bought it :(

I think Subaru is all cvt now. You can push it across to "manual mode" where you have 6 virtual gears with the flappy paddles. I rarely use it, except sometimes for engine braking.

Anian Jun 9th 2016 5:58 pm

Base model Subaru Forester has a manual option, but it seems that almost everyone goes for the higher up models which don't.

Pulaski Jun 9th 2016 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11969278)
Yes, and GMC, Chevy, Ford et al are all Mexican.

My Fords came direct, special order, from Michigan and Kansas LTP. :)

rbackhouse Jun 9th 2016 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11969347)
My Fords came direct, special order, from Michigan and Kansas LTP. :)

And my Chevy came from Kentucky direct too

Bob Jun 10th 2016 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 11969264)

Yeah, the few I see are usually Mazda's and Suburu's. They are still rare and they are harder to find though, but I didn't say they were impossible to get.

Most of the dealers out my way, won't have a new one on the lot but could get you one easily enough if you wanted a new car.

Rete Jun 10th 2016 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11969268)

That's in Canada, right :rofl:

rbackhouse Jun 10th 2016 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11969871)
Yeah, the few I see are usually Mazda's and Suburu's. They are still rare and they are harder to find though, but I didn't say they were impossible to get.

Most of the dealers out my way, won't have a new one on the lot but could get you one easily enough if you wanted a new car.

As I said before it depends on the car. I bet if you went to a VW dealer looking for a GTI a least half on the lot would be manuals.

Pulaski Jun 10th 2016 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse (Post 11969889)
As I said before it depends on the car. I bet if you went to a VW dealer looking for a GTI a least half on the lot would be manuals.

A good number of Mustangs will be too. Camaros, probably not so much. :lol:

mrken30 Jun 10th 2016 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse (Post 11969889)

That wasn't my experience. Maybe it depends on the local demographics and what sells locally.

Most people around here do not get taught how to drive manuals and there is only one instructor locally that has a manual to teach people. It was an interesting experience sitting in the back when he gave my wife a couple of lessons in preparation for our trip to England. You certainly cannot rent a manual car in my area, I tried everywhere.

rbackhouse Jun 10th 2016 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11970034)
That wasn't my experience. Maybe it depends on the local demographics and what sells locally.

You went looking for with a Golf GTI ?

Herzog-Meier Volkswagen

4275 SW 139th Way Beaverton, OR 97005

http://www.herzog-meiervw.com/new-in...anchor-model-6

4 manuals out of 10