British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pros and cons of being a USA citizen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pros-cons-being-usa-citizen-878509/)

Anian Jun 10th 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Pros and cons of being a USA citizen

I got my manual car back from valet parking once - the gear knob had been rotated by 90 degrees, which takes some serious strength and I have no idea why anyone would apply that much to it. Who knows what damage they did to it, car died from clutch/transmission problems 6 months later.

Pulaski Jun 10th 2016 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse (Post 11970086)
But then alternatively you car is also less likely to be stolen.

Correct.

There was a story a few months ago about an armed car-jacking in Florida where the robber threatened the driver out of the vehicle at gun point. The robber then forced the driver back into the vehicle at gun poing because the robber couldn't drive a manual transmission. The driver was forced to take the robber several miles and drop him off.

mrken30 Jun 10th 2016 4:03 pm

they are also more difficult for the police to stop. The technique that they use to spin cars makes the engines in automatics stop. In a manual you just put your foot on the clutch and off you go again.

robin1234 Jun 10th 2016 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11970089)
i have the same problem with my hybrid and valets.

Hard to get a good valet these days.

Pulaski Jun 10th 2016 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11970094)
they are also more difficult for the police to stop. The technique that they use to spin cars makes the engines in automatics stop. In a manual you just put your foot on the clutch and off you go again.

That's good to know, but when I was chased by a police car I got away before he had any chance to spin me out. :lol:

This is not a joke. .... The officer caught up with me later, when I had parked and was already out of the car. I hadn't actually realised I was being chased. :o

Bob Jun 10th 2016 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse (Post 11969889)
As I said before it depends on the car. I bet if you went to a VW dealer looking for a GTI a least half on the lot would be manuals.

Like I said, right where I am, not so much.

Bob Jun 10th 2016 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11970093)
Correct.

There was a story a few months ago about an armed car-jacking in Florida where the robber threatened the driver out of the vehicle at gun point. The robber then forced the driver back into the vehicle at gun poing because the robber couldn't drive a manual transmission. The driver was forced to take the robber several miles and drop him off.

Bit smarter than the chap who robbed a bank not to far away and then went and parked up in the lot behind the bank to go buy stuff at Lowes, with the money he just stole :D

Rete Jun 11th 2016 12:07 am

That's nearly as bad as one of my former neighbors (now deceased) who went to the drive thru window of the bank and robbed it using her own car. Of course, the car's photo was taken with the license plate. They were waiting for her before she got home.

rbackhouse Jun 11th 2016 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11970340)
Like I said, right where I am, not so much.

Where are we talking about in MA ? The VW dealers I took a look at in Lexington and Worcester had plenty of manuals.

Like I said ....

Bob Jun 11th 2016 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse (Post 11970412)
Where are we talking about in MA ? The VW dealers I took a look at in Lexington and Worcester had plenty of manuals.

Like I said ....

In between...and the ones I looked at in the last couple of weeks didn't, they had maybe one in but as I said, were able to get them in quickly enough if I was serious.

They're there, but they're not popular and definitely not on the second hand market and definitely not for anyone who doesn't want a sporty hatch and has crap and kids to haul around.

Plus, VW...not exactly a big deal down my way.