Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pros and cons of being a USA citizen

Pros and cons of being a USA citizen

Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pros and cons of being a USA citizen

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think someone already alluded to that fact.
I was "improving" on the accuracy of your post.

Actually, I see Tennessee recently abolished its inheritance tax so the total is now four...
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Only five states have an inheritance tax.
Thanks for this info. It appears that Oregon inheritance/death tax became an estate tax in 2012. I had missed this change.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
You'll be liable to complete a tax return every year for the rest of your life, even if you move back to the UK (unless you renounce your citizenship). You'll also become liable for jury duty. Your inheritance will be subject to UK inheritance tax so unless it's a very large sum, you're unlikely to have to pay anything over here.

It was a no-brainer for us. Opens up a lot more options in the long term, brings stability to our position over here, and jury duty every few years isn't that big a price to pay

(Is there a typo (UK/US) here, or am I misunderstanding this?)

As I understand it, if one is a dual US and UK citizen and one dies when living in the US, one is subject to US but not UK tax, is this right?
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asg123

As I understand it, if one is a dual US and UK citizen and one dies when living in the US, one is subject to US but not UK tax, is this right?
If you die in the US your estate will be subject to US estate tax. The beneficiaries will pay local inheritance tax if applicable. It gets more complex if your estate is in multiple jurisdictions.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 9:30 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asg123

Sorry - I was referring to a US citizen inheriting from an estate within the UK.

I just re-read the OP's question and realised that she was actually asking if there were any additional tax implications to being a citizen - to my knowledge, the answer to that is no: tax is levied in the same way whether you're a citizen or just resident.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Pros and Cons to Getting US Citizenship : British Expat Wiki
Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Sorry - I was referring to a US citizen inheriting from an estate within the UK.

I just re-read the OP's question and realised that she was actually asking if there were any additional tax implications to being a citizen - to my knowledge, the answer to that is no: tax is levied in the same way whether you're a citizen or just resident.
Sorry, I follow now, thank you.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 1:52 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

There's some mistakes in that, maybe I should edit it. The issues with firearms have been done away with, various court cases established it was illegal to discriminate under the 14th amendment.

Also Selective Service applies to LPRs, no difference if you're a citizen.

Anyway my main comment was going to be about estate tax seeing as you're all banging on about it. Bear in mind this is the one huge tax advantage to being a US citizen. First off the limit is way higher than it is in the UK (federally) but bear in mind the US only has estate tax treaties with six countries and the UK is one of them.

As a result, say you live in the UK and your health starts to fail, you can get on a plane to the US and as soon as the US becomes your tax home the estate tax treaty kicks in: UNITED KINGDOM ESTATE AND GIFT TAX TREATY

It does say you've got to be in the US for 3 years to be considered domiciled in the US but hey, that's a lot less than the 7 year taper relief for UK IHT and it also says if you're a citizen of both countries and are domiciled in both countries then it boils down to where your centre of "vital interests" is located. So move to the US, move your vital interests and poof, away goes UK IHT.

To me that seems like a pretty damn big advantage to being a US citizen, if your estate is large enough to be hit by IHT.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 2:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
There's some mistakes in that, maybe I should edit it. .
You should. It's been a while since it was put together. It's a starting point and covers most of the common ground that gets trotted out every time this question is asked, but hasn't been kept up to date in a while.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 2:39 am
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody. You've certainly given me food for thought.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Only five states have an inheritance tax.
Six (NE, IA, KY, PA, MD, NJ).

Does Your State Have an Estate or Inheritance Tax? | Tax Foundation

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jun 7th 2016 at 4:05 am.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 1:58 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Very interesting.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 2:00 pm
Living the NYC dream

Thank you. Very informative.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are also less restrictions being a USC if you are a student pilot.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 3:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

There really are no cons I can think of, but plenty of pros.

I know the tax liability comes up as a con, but even if you do return to the UK or end up in a third country, I am led to understand that it is pretty unlikely any US taxes will actually be owed. Having to fill in the tax return each year is a small price to pay for having US citizenship that will allow a return to the US at any time in the future with no issues other than the logistics of finding employment/accomodation.

Never having to deal with USCIS again is reason alone to do it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.