Pros/ Cons

Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice
Default Pros/ Cons

Ok so I have posted several threads previously looking at advice for obtaining a visa for my husband of 10 years. We have sent the petiton and now he is asking for a lists of pros/cons for going.
It has taken me 10 years of persistant nagging to get this far lol.
Anyway, I think I may be a little biased and blind sighted as America is my home and where my family is.
So can anyone give me any true and unbiased opinions of the pros vs cons of living in the States as opposed to the UK?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pros/ Cons

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
So can anyone give me any true and unbiased opinions of the pros vs cons of living in the States as opposed to the UK?
I'm afraid that the answer to the specific question that you asked is - "No" ...

If you search the forums or just wait for a day or two for a new thread to start up you will quickly find that there is no shortage of opinions on this topic which, precisely because they are opinions, are almost always biased towards the particular circumstances and point of view of the person who holds them.

Other than a few general truths about the relative costs of things like healthcare and education there are so many variables that it is hard to make many statements about the pros and cons of living in the US that will be universally applicable. As you must be aware, the US is a big and very diverse place - California, Florida, Texas, New Hampshire, Louisiana and Iowa are all very different - in fact I really can't think of much that they all have in common apart from a common currency, the fact that they all drive on (mostly) the same side of the road and a general disdain for the other states and the Federal government.

So - what is it about the US that makes you want to return?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Originally Posted by md95065
So - what is it about the US that makes you want to return?
Hmmm, that is the same question my hubby keeps asking. lol

In no particular order-
Pros-
1. My family
2. Lower tax on gas, food, savings (EVERYTHING REALLY)
3. Cheaper housing
4. Opportunities for my children
5. School systems-ie. extracurricular activities
6. Lifestyle
7. BETTER WEATHER
8. More to do/ see
I am sure there are more, but can't think of them at the mo

Cons-
1. No NHS
2. His family are in the UK
3. Secure jobs in the UK
Again, I am sure there may be more that I haven't noticed yet
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not so sure that, with the exception of gas, the taxes really are lower in the US by the time you add up federal and state income taxes, social security and Medicare taxes, sales taxes, and property taxes. Add to that the cost of medical insurance and the higher cost of auto insurance and it may not be as cheap as you think.

Housing costs vary widely depending on where you are planning to live.

Most public schools are desperately short of money right now.

The weather is certainly better in lots of places but again that depends on where you are.

If you have school age children do you expect that they will eventually go to college or university and, if so, do you know how much it is likely to cost and how you and they are going to pay for it?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
7. BETTER WEATHER
I'm always bemused by the "better weather" assertion. Are we talking about Maine or New Mexico? Missouri or Hawaii? Even in England, you have 25 inches of annual precipitation in Cambridge, and 80+ inches in many places in the northwest. But if I were to generalise, I would say the weather is infinitely better in the UK than in the US.. fewer tornadoes, hurricanes, less snow, less 95 degrees & humid for weeks on end.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

*OP* have you spent much time in the US?

We have just returned after 7 -ish years...and most of what you are hoping for is very subjective.

Tax is added according to state when you purchase things ... our shopping bill regularly had another 7% added when we went shopping.

Food is not cheap, its much more than the UK.

Employers can lay you off without a second thought...and don't get me started on vacation entitlement!

Homes are not cheaper in all states , and then there is the property tax to consider.

Schools don't 'do' all that much extra curricular activities than the UK- in fact more happens at my son's schools here than when we were in the US.

Gas is a bit cheaper, but you might need to travel longer distances, that soon cancels out any savings.

Then there is the medical/healthcare element ;-) a minefield ....if you think the NI contributions are expensive try paying for private insurance each month, PLUS each time you visit the doctor/hospital.

It can be $$$$$$$$$$$$ for the simplest thing.

The weather is 'safer' in the UK lol, no real nasty weather problems to watch out for.

Unfortunately your post sounds like you need to do a little more research, the things you are hoping for sound very innocent, I'd hate to see you regret your move

Good luck.

The UK really isn't all that bad.

Last edited by Gabgoeshome; Apr 28th 2012 at 1:17 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 1:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Healthcare is the major con IMO...followed closely by 'fire at will' policy.

This following is something I never considered and reading these forums over the years...it's something that most people don't consider. If you move with children and the marriage breaks up...the parent who stays in the country can refuse to give permission for the children to move back to the UK. I have read about several families this has happened to in our Moving Back to the UK forum. One parent can't settle and wants to move back home...the other doesn't. The one who doesn't refuses to allow the children to move away from their country of residence. Don't underestimate the pressure that homesickness can put on a marriage...especially if the spouse wants to work but can't find work.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I am not so sure that, with the exception of gas, the taxes really are lower in the US by the time you add up federal and state income taxes, social security and Medicare taxes, sales taxes, and property taxes. Add to that the cost of medical insurance and the higher cost of auto insurance and it may not be as cheap as you think.

Housing costs vary widely depending on where you are planning to live.

Most public schools are desperately short of money right now.

The weather is certainly better in lots of places but again that depends on where you are.

If you have school age children do you expect that they will eventually go to college or university and, if so, do you know how much it is likely to cost and how you and they are going to pay for it?
+1

Monthly bills seems to go up every month.

Hubby's individual health insurance has just increased by $60.00 per month!

Pity our savings and investment interest rates can't do the same.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

It is a pretty complex combination of variables.

Tax of petrol is lower BUT your car typically uses more AND the US gallon is smaller than the UK gallon - take all those factors out and the actual cost per mile is almost the same - the gap alone is not big enough to warrant a move of 5000+ miles!

TV/cable & internet costs are, where we live, at least double what we paid back home, closer to 2.5 times.

Some food stuffs are cheaper here - most meats (not lamb!), certain fruits, while others are much more expensive - for us, on balance it's works out about the same. I'm going on the basis of similar quality...

Housing is significantly cheaper here - £100K buys a nice, roomy 4 bed place in reasonable parts of town. A great part of town, 5 beds and a pool will set you back perhaps £170K.

We're very lucky with medical insurance/cover from our employer... for us with our current level of health and demands we have of the medical services, by the time our premiums and out of pocket expenses are rolled in, along with the lower taxes here, we are paying EFFECTIVELY the same rate of tax as back home.

So when looking at financial comparisons it may help to look more at proportion of income that is taken up by housing, medical, etc etc etc...

Overall we are financially better off here - SWMBO isn't working just now, and we're getting by. In the UK we needed her salary too. My salary here was basically my UK salary turned in to $ at the then exchange rate...

It's a great job I have, great prospects, good company etc.

But, as just reminded this morning, having skyped back home, we are 8 time zones and 5500 miles from family, none are getting younger or fitter, and my new nephew was just 2 weeks old when we left, so we've missed out on a few things.

Having said all that, despite its trials & tribulations it has been a great experience and I'm glad we did it.

I hope you find your answers..
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

Housing is significantly cheaper here - £100K buys a nice, roomy 4 bed place in reasonable parts of town. A great part of town, 5 beds and a pool will set you back perhaps £170K.

Where do you live? The figures you've quoted would find you zip around here.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Where do you live? The figures you've quoted would find you zip around here.
You would only be able to get a mobile home for that here.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You would only be able to get a mobile home for that here.
Here, we got a four bedroom, two bathroom house (approx 2,500 sq ft) on five acres for $53,000. Mind you, it is 130 miles to a proper town. (Or across an international border.)
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by robin1234
Here, we got a four bedroom, two bathroom house (approx 2,500 sq ft) house on five acres for $53,000. Mind you, it is 130 miles to a proper town. (Or across an international border.)
What year did you buy it?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Here, we got a four bedroom, two bathroom house (approx 2,500 sq ft) on five acres for $53,000. Mind you, it is 130 miles to a proper town. (Or across an international border.)
Jeepers, I feel like I'm out in the sticks.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What year did you buy it?
That's a good point. Some of our neighbours bought for about $50,000 30-40 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.