British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Proposed changes to VWP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/proposed-changes-vwp-868663/)

lansbury Nov 30th 2015 9:01 pm

Proposed changes to VWP

Mentioned in another thread are proposed changes to the VWP.

Details here: After Paris, Obama Administration Changes Visa Waiver Program : NPR

As can be seen what is proposed will not have much bearing on the traveler. Save the proposed increase to the amount airlines can be fined, which may well make them be more vigilant at check in.

Steve_ Dec 1st 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Proposed changes to VWP

Fortunately I'm exempt, but I thought I'd just post here because CBSA and CBP were supposed to link up their systems back in July last year but it got held up because the enabling legislation got delayed in Parliament, so they're planning on doing it now sometime before CeTA or whatever it will finally be called is implemented in April.

So bear in mind this trick of getting around ESTA by coming in through Canada by land will shortly no longer be possible.

CBP actually helped CBSA come up with the system, the regulations are almost word-for-word the same as the VWP. The main difference being that Canada considers convictions spent after ten years, which is not the case in the US.

BritInParis Dec 1st 2015 11:14 pm

From a end-user point of view it appears the only difference will be some extra questions about your recent travel history when signing up. Most of changes will happen behind the scenes and affect the US government, the governments of VWP countries or airlines flying to the US. A BBC article on the same subject mentions the mandatory requirement for ePassports although any remaining valid British non-ePassports will expire in early 2016.

rpjs Dec 2nd 2015 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11806208)
From a end-user point of view it appears the only difference will be some extra questions about your recent travel history when signing up. Most of changes will happen behind the scenes and affect the US government, the governments of VWP countries or airlines flying to the US. A BBC article on the same subject mentions the mandatory requirement for ePassports although any remaining valid British non-ePassports will expire in early 2016.

My non-ePassport doesn't expire until next November.

lansbury Dec 2nd 2015 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11806670)
My non-ePassport doesn't expire until next November.

That must be one of the very last of its type. The first e-passports were issued starting March 6th, 2006. Did you get yours overseas?

rpjs Dec 2nd 2015 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11806685)
That must be one of the very last of its type. The first e-passports were issued starting March 6th, 2006. Did you get yours overseas?

No, but I think I had just over a year's validity left on the old one when I renewed so they carried some of that over. My passport was issued in late Feb 2006.

BritInParis Dec 2nd 2015 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11806724)
No, but I think I had just over a year's validity left on the old one when I renewed so they carried some of that over. My passport was issued in late Feb 2006.

As lansbury says it must be one of the last to be issued then and with nine months added also one of the very last to expire.

durham_lad Dec 2nd 2015 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11806731)
As lansbury says it must be one of the last to be issued then and with nine months added also one of the very last to expire.

+1

I have an epassport which was issued in October 2006. I plan on renewing it after getting back to England next May.

BritInParis Dec 2nd 2015 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 11806736)
+1

I have an epassport which was issued in October 2016. I plan on renewing it after getting back to England next May.

Back to the future then? ;)

durham_lad Dec 2nd 2015 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11806742)
Back to the future then? ;)

Thanks for pointing that out - I've fixed the date in the OP :p