Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Property tax in CT

Property tax in CT

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property tax in CT

This is correct. Your town taxes are divided up over a 12 month period in addition to your monthly mortgage. They also increase with time as well.
But, as a person living in CT, I will say that figure is extremely high. You must be looking in quite an affluent town.
Consider this, do you really need a $700,000 home here? - A home that fetches that sort of price round here is comparable to a mansion!
I'd say that the majority of middle class folks pay anywhere from $5000 - $6,500 in CT.
(p.s. - a town that charges that extreme fee for taxes would have to be: Greenwich, Fairfield, Simsbury - where all the rich people live)

Hope this helps!

Thanks Blightyboy, my husbands boss recommended Ridgefield or Wilton, I also like Weston. I've looked at Fairfield but prefer the other three.
I have seen some houses with less than $10k as property tax, will all depend on what I find when I'm there I suppose.
I'm not saying I'll spend $700k on a house but that's what I'd get for my UK home so would have up to that to spend, no point moving all that way, giving up my home and friends, and not getting my "dream" home!.
many thanks again.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
Hi,
I'd say that the majority of middle class folks pay anywhere from $5000 - $6,500 in CT.
(p.s. - a town that charges that extreme fee for taxes would have to be: Greenwich, Fairfield, Simsbury - where all the rich people live)
I don't live on the Gold Coast; I don't have close to a $700,000 home; I'm not rich; but my property taxes are double your estimate. It is just a fact of life that the taxes in the lower section of the state, within NYC commuting distance, are expensive.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point

I also looked it up on city-data.com and it said that if a town has little commercial property the overall taxes still need to be paid from somewhere so the property tax on private homes is increased to make up for the lack of commercial property and their subsequent tax.
So I guess I need a small town with lovely large houses and lots of shops!! wow, sounds like a shopaholics dream!.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meshwill
I also looked it up on city-data.com and it said that if a town has little commercial property the overall taxes still need to be paid from somewhere so the property tax on private homes is increased to make up for the lack of commercial property and their subsequent tax.
So I guess I need a small town with lovely large houses and lots of shops!! wow, sounds like a shopaholics dream!.
You're hit the nail on the head! That is exactly the problem. Unfortunately, the ones without any commerce at all want to keep it that way, and there has been a readjustment in shopping habits in the last few decades away from the small shop to the big malls -- the main local ones being in Stamford and Danbury. However, there are still boutique-style shops in places like Westport, Greenwich and Ridgefield.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:20 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

that property tax is high, we brought a house in CT, we are on about $8500 a year, on a house that is nearing your mark, just under, but CT is expensive, and you get what you pay for! (including tax)
you need to look at your needs, what us UK'er don't get and me as well, is that your local property tax translate to police, school's etc,
the local high school where we brought, got a silver on some sort of White House award?? the town was 75th in a "best smallest and forgettable town in America? last year!
if you have children look at the school district and pretend you are sending them to private School, no children find a good district that is rubbish at schooling...believe me in CT they exist! the next but one district, rubbish School, the Gym and most of the school is falling down! but opera and culture that's the place!