Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Property Ownership

Property Ownership

Old Oct 11th 2009, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road
Default Property Ownership

If I live in the UK, and my husband lives in Washington state, can I get my name added to a house deed/title if I'm a non-resident?

I tried to google and search the forums but didn't come up with much. Although that may be because I'm not really sure what to search for. I'd be grateful to anyone who can answer this, or point me to a resource that may be helpful.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 12:56 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property Ownership

Originally Posted by smartiegirl88 View Post
If I live in the UK, and my husband lives in Washington state, can I get my name added to a house deed/title if I'm a non-resident?
Short answer - I don't see why not.

More helpful answer - You would want to make sure that it doesn't cause any problems with any mortgage (e.g. the lender might need you to sign stuff - at best, or block it - at worst), insurance policies etc.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

What if the house is paid off? And is there a website you know of that explains any of this?

Thanks for the help...
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:06 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

a lawyer local to the area and aware of local regs would probably be able to tell you.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:25 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The rules on ownership would be in the Washington State Property code, aka google is your friend

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=64

I think this is the bit you are interested in:

RCW 64.16.005
Aliens' rights and interests in lands same as native citizens'.

Any alien may acquire and hold lands, or any right thereto, or interest therein, by purchase, devise or descent; and he may convey, mortgage and devise the same, and if he shall die intestate, the same shall descend to his heirs, and in all cases such lands shall be held, conveyed, mortgaged or devised, or shall descend in like manner and with like effect as if such alien were a native citizen of this state or of the United States.

[1967 c 163 § 2.]
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Thank you to everyone who responded!! This is all really helpful
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:04 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smartiegirl88 View Post
What if the house is paid off?
It yours.. you can do what you like. Often Title determines survivorship so makesure you do title correctly. Quit Claim Deed is often what peeps use but consult relevant professional as everything has legal consequences. You being added to title means that you are part of the estate so next step would be updating the US will etc as well as looking into tax consequences. Also make sure title insurance is still good and valid and with whom etc.