Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Property in NYC for Brits...

Property in NYC for Brits...

Old May 14th 2007, 8:33 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Property in NYC for Brits...

Hello,

I live in the dank and musty Middle East Forum section of BE - I rarely leave there, it's just too scary...

So anyway, I just wondered if someone can advise and answer (even PM me) on a Brit purchasing and owning a property in NYC.

Specifically - would a mortgage be available, would there be a visa (of any nature) on purchase and has any one you know bought without a residence visa?

I'd be really grateful if you can give me any pointers... don't flame me too bad...

Thankie,

Auto.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property in NYC for Brits...

You can purchase but there's no right to visit or live in your property....so you'll probably be stuck with the 90-day visa waiver, i.e. you receive no special benefit from owning property regarding the visa. You should spend more time out than you spend in, and you can't work while here.

Getting a US mortgage is probably possible but you'll need to put down around 30% and have to shop around a lot. Expect to pay a premium for not having US residency, work history and credit score.

Watch out for property taxes -- they can be steep.

Might be an idea if you told us what you wanted it for. Investment? Rental income? Regular visits?
Old May 14th 2007, 9:01 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You can purchase but there's no right to visit or live in your property....so you'll probably be stuck with the 90-day visa waiver, i.e. you receive no special benefit from owning property regarding the visa. You should spend more time out than you spend in, and you can't work while here.

Getting a US mortgage is probably possible but you'll need to put down around 30% and have to shop around a lot. Expect to pay a premium for not having US residency, work history and credit score.

Watch out for property taxes -- they can be steep.

Might be an idea if you told us what you wanted it for. Investment? Rental income? Regular visits?
Top answer - many thanks.

Mainly investment at this stage with long term rental covering a 70% repayment mortgage in an upcoming area. Most likely Manhattan, below 59th / Central Park. Would love to have the abilty to live / visit significantly in about 10 years from now...

The current goal is to own long term rental properties with repayment mortgages in capital cities that will come to fruition as we go from 45 years to 65 years old...
Old May 14th 2007, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy

Mainly investment at this stage with long term rental covering a 70% repayment mortgage in an upcoming area. Most likely Manhattan, below 59th / Central Park. Would love to have the abilty to live / visit significantly in about 10 years from now...
Once your old and wrinkly, like Ray, and retired, you'll be more likely able to get the B1/2 visa, basically a tourist visa that'll let you in for up to 6 months as long as you can show you've got the readies to cover the cost of living without the need for work, mind you, by then, medical insurance will be insanely expensive and part of the reason a lot of people don't retire here for the long term.
Old May 14th 2007, 9:12 pm
Powered by cows

Originally Posted by Bob
Once your old and wrinkly, like Ray, and retired, you'll be more likely able to get the B1/2 visa, basically a tourist visa that'll let you in for up to 6 months as long as you can show you've got the readies to cover the cost of living without the need for work, mind you, by then, medical insurance will be insanely expensive and part of the reason a lot of people don't retire here for the long term.
I'm 34 now Ol' bobbie - I love NYC. Would love the ability to visit decently each year. With the right place and 100% re-investment of the long term rental we's have the appartment investment paid off in 15 yrs.... just a little dream i guess.
Old May 14th 2007, 9:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Top answer - many thanks.

The current goal is to own long term rental properties with repayment mortgages in capital cities that will come to fruition as we go from 45 years to 65 years old...
So you're likely looking for a condo/coop there. If the maths adds up, would think the make/break of the whole scheme depends on the reliability/honesty of who you choose as property managers. BTW, under current IRS rules, you will be liable for CGT on selling.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:52 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

How much do you want to spend for a place?
Old May 15th 2007, 4:03 am