Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Proper" house builders in the Northeast US

"Proper" house builders in the Northeast US

Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all
Default "Proper" house builders in the Northeast US

Does anyone know of any homebuilders in the northeast US who will actually build a house from bricks, with proper slate tiles on the roof? Me and the missus are thinking of building instead of buying (we've been offered a good deal on a piece of land), but I refuse to spend money building something that looks like a big garden shed - all wood framing, shingles and vinyl siding, like most of the houses here seem to be, and I can't find builders who'll build a house any other way.

I don't like the look - it looks cheap to my eyes, plus, I like the idea that the house I build will still be standing in 100 years... I guess my mother always told me to put my money in "bricks and mortar" and that's remained with me.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:59 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Proper" house builders in the Northeast US

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
Does anyone know of any homebuilders in the northeast US who will actually build a house from bricks, with proper slate tiles on the roof? Me and the missus are thinking of building instead of buying (we've been offered a good deal on a piece of land), but I refuse to spend money building something that looks like a big garden shed - all wood framing, shingles and vinyl siding, like most of the houses here seem to be, and I can't find builders who'll build a house any other way.

I don't like the look - it looks cheap to my eyes, plus, I like the idea that the house I build will still be standing in 100 years... I guess my mother always told me to put my money in "bricks and mortar" and that's remained with me.

Any suggestions?

I'm sure people like that exist, a friend of mine worked a construction job where the house was reroofed with slate tiles. This was in St. Louis, so I can't help where you are, but I'm sure that kind of thing is available if you've got the $$$$ to pay for it.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions?
Try emailing these people: http://www.gobrick.com/

Or call a local brick supplier and ask if they can refer you to someone.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Dan723 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about the situation in your location, but as someone who lived in the northeast for a long time,
I can tell you that homes with siding and shingled roofs tend to be the norm.

However, many people do like the look of brick homes so you will find some.
Bear, in mind that the cost could be significantly more. I am surprised that the builders you approached
would not do a brick home. Perhaps, you should try looking for a larger construction company.
Larger companies might have an internet presence, so you could try online.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dan723
Not sure about the situation in your location, but as someone who lived in the northeast for a long time,
I can tell you that homes with siding and shingled roofs tend to be the norm.

However, many people do like the look of brick homes so you will find some.
Bear, in mind that the cost could be significantly more. I am surprised that the builders you approached
would not do a brick home. Perhaps, you should try looking for a larger construction company.
Larger companies might have an internet presence, so you could try online.
Some of the people I've spoken to will put a brick "facade" on the front of a house, but that's it, and that's not enough for me. I don't want even one panel of vinyl siding on my house.

Also, is it just me, or is it hard to find decent glazing here? In the UK, you couldn't escape the people selling double glazing, and here you almost never see it, despite the energy-efficiency and security benefits.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:03 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the people I've spoken to will put a brick "facade" on the front of a house, but that's it, and that's not enough for me. I don't want even one panel of vinyl siding on my house.
Pretty much any custom home builder will do this for you. It isn't going to be cheap, though. A good slate roof runs 5-10 times the cost of a shingle roof. The vast majority of roofers offer slate, though.

Also, is it just me, or is it hard to find decent glazing here? In the UK, you couldn't escape the people selling double glazing, and here you almost never see it, despite the energy-efficiency and security benefits.
Not sure what you're talking about. Almost every house built in the last 20 years will be double glazed. I don't think it's even possible to buy single glazed replacement windows anywhere, regardless of climate. This may be a semantics thing, some people might not called "double glazing" here. Commonly, people call it "double pane" here. I have triple pane windows from Preservation in my house.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Pretty much any custom home builder will do this for you. It isn't going to be cheap, though. A good slate roof runs 5-10 times the cost of a shingle roof.
It's worth it to me. If I'm going to be spending out money for the rest of my working life on paying for a house, it's got to be right.

Not sure what you're talking about. Almost every house built in the last 20 years will be double glazed. I don't think it's even possible to buy single glazed replacement windows anywhere, regardless of climate. This may be a semantics thing, some people might not called "double glazing" here. Commonly, people call it "double pane" here. I have triple pane windows from Preservation in my house.
I've never seen them in any houses up here. They all seem to be the regular, wood-framed single-pane sash windows you see everywhere, even in the new developments.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:09 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen them in any houses up here. They all seem to be the regular, wood-framed single-pane sash windows you see everywhere, even in the new developments.
Very strange, must be something specific to your neighborhood.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth it to me. If I'm going to be spending out money for the rest of my working life on paying for a house, it's got to be right.
What would worry me is the builders experience in building brick homes as they're not common, I'd want to see examples.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

The majority of new homes, are literally a "House in a box", they can throw them up quickly, and can be sold quick (well could before the economy took a dive). That seems to be the norm nowadays in America, and your house, could blow away at any time! or better still if theres a fire you can pretty much guarantee, you have a very expensive bombfire.

Personally I agree and prefer the look and materials of a brick home, and when we were looking to purchase a home, we did look and end up purchasing a fully breeze block/brick, split level home. They definately exist, but tend to be older properties (ie; ours is 20 years old) in older neighbourhoods.

My guess is building a brick home from scratch, requires more labor, time, and more expensive materials and probably skill many builders in the US dont have.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's even possible to buy single glazed replacement windows anywhere, regardless of climate. .
Can in Florida
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:33 pm
I approved this message

Originally Posted by Ray
Can in Florida
I thought about that before I posted. I've seen those cheapo aluminum framed windows in Florida, but I thought hurricane-proof windows are required on remodle? I'm probably wrong.

What a boring conversation.... I'd like to apologize. Let's discuss boobies.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I
What a boring conversation.... I'd like to apologize. Let's discuss boobies.
The Double D ones ..LOL
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions?
Hi Rusty Chainsaw, To build a house like they do in UK is gonna cost you an arm and a leg and there is no need to build them like that over here. If it were me then i would go with cinder block (Breeze blocks in UK) walls on the perimeter,then find some nice bricks and build on the outside of the wall up to about three feet.From the top of the brick i would Stucco to the roof.Stucco is a great insulator and can be painted any color you wish to paint it.For the roof i would select some nice Spanish tiles as they wont be so heavy as slate.Just remember you will have to go with stronger roof trusses,at least 2X6,s.On the inside walls (perimeter) you can use either furring strips or 2X2,s so you can get all your electrics etc behind the sheet rock you will be placing over the furring strips.I have been over here 35 years and have always had double glazing.Home Depot and Lowes etc sell windows that are double glazing and pretty cheep.I was a construction superintendent for the last 28 years.I built my own house (and its still standing lol).Its 2600 square feet with a large garage workshop.Its the only way to go if you wanna save some money. I dont know if you are a DIY sort of guy and can do some of these things yourself,if not you can always put it out to bid,at least three bidders and see what they come up with,or you can sub out different phases of the construction,ie the block work/the framing/the roofing/the concrete work/the pluming etc.All these can be subbed out separatly and you can get some good deals on them. BTW I have about $75000 invested in my house including a pool and an acre and a quarter of land, mind you it was back in 1983 when i built it. Its worth now around half a mill all paid for by 1994.Good luck in what ever you decide,hope this has given you a little insight,Regards Brian.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions?
You do see the odd new house which is all brick...but they are built around a timber frame.

Regarding double glazed windows...most houses apart from old ones with the original frames have double glazed windows. Pella is one of the main suppliers...not far from you on Rt 10 Randolf.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 18th 2008 at 4:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.