British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   proof of status while pending adjustment? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/proof-status-while-pending-adjustment-108564/)

Harry May 26th 2002 5:13 am

proof of status while pending adjustment?

Hey all,
I have a question that I was hoping someone could help me with. I came here on a K1, I'm married now :D!!!, and filed my AOS papers by mail. I'm just wondering how I will proove my status when my K1 expires. I've read about the little cash register receipt they give you. But would that only apply if you handed in your applications in in person? Do they send you an NOA for the 485? Seems I've gone from being fairly knowledgeable about the K1 to almost clueless about AOS! Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
-Harry

ps. To anyone in the Dallas area who's interested, unfortunately I can confirm it's true that they've stopped doing same day AOS.

Rete May 26th 2002 11:25 am

Re: proof of status while pending adjustment?

You will probably NOT get an NOA. I've only heard of a very few INS offices that send that. The majority of them send the cash register receipt in the mail to you. The proof of your status will be the EAD card. Although Dallas no longer does instant AOS, they are still relatively quick and I believe you willl be interviewed in about 3 months or so.

Rete

Ranjini May 26th 2002 5:20 pm

Isn't that wierd? The little cash register receipt is all you have of proof of
FILING for adjustment. Your K1 status expires when you file for AOS and you become
"pending aos". You probably know that already. So you are perfectly legit as far as
the INS. To travel you apply for advance parole to work you apply for work
authorization (EAD). I suppose what you are asking is do you get some kind of a
stamp? I think you know you don't. I know you feel like you are in limbo (which, in
fact, you really are!! lol). <<But it would that only apply if you handed in your
applications in in person?>>

I hope not. I think they mail it to you. Suggest you get a copy of your cheque from
the bank once they have cashed it and it has cleared

<<I'm just wondering how I will proove my status when my K1 expires.>>

Ther is no "proof" per se. Only your A# which will bring up your INS status on their
computers. I know it sucks. But you will have to learn to live with it. We all do.
Best wishes, Ranjini

> Do they send you an NOA for the 485>>
No they don't. "Harry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all, I have a question that I was hoping someone could help me with. I came
    > here on a K1, I'm married now :D!!!, and filed my AOS papers by mail. I'm just
    > wondering how I will proove my status when my K1 expires. I've read about the
    > little cash register receipt they give you. But would that only apply if you handed
    > in your applications in in person? Do they send you an NOA for the 485? Seems I've
    > gone from being fairly knowledgeable about the K1 to almost clueless about AOS!
    > Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! -Harry
    >
    >ps. To anyone in the Dallas area who's interested, unfortunately I can
    > confirm it's true that they've stopped doing same day AOS.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Donna Maindraul May 26th 2002 5:20 pm

In article <0Z7I8.38429$cQ3.1759@sccrnsc01>, "Ranjini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The little cash register receipt is all you have of proof of FILING for
    > adjustment. Your K1 status expires when you file for AOS and you become "pending
    > aos". You probably know that already. So you are perfectly legit as far as the
    > INS. To travel you apply for advance parole to work you apply for work
    > authorization (EAD).

My husband recently got a questionnaire for jury duty, and they asked for a copy of
his green card if he claims that he isn't a citizen. He sent a copy of his work
permit, since he doesn't have a green card yet. I'll let you know if he gets
summoned anyway.

-Donna

Ranjini May 26th 2002 6:20 pm

This brings up another question. What if you decide you aren't going to work or
travel?? Then you have no EAD. I know that my daughter decided not to apply for one
(she filed an independent petition based on her marriage to her USC husband ) After
she married she gave up working to attend grad school and didn't need one. Ranjini

"Donna Maindrault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > In article <0Z7I8.38429$cQ3.1759@sccrnsc01>, "Ranjini"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > The little cash register receipt is all you have of proof of FILING for
    > > adjustment. Your K1 status expires when you file for AOS and you become "pending
    > > aos". You probably know that already. So you are perfectly legit as far as the
    > > INS. To travel you apply for advance parole to work you apply for work
    > > authorization (EAD).
    >
    > My husband recently got a questionnaire for jury duty, and they asked for a copy of
    > his green card if he claims that he isn't a citizen. He sent a copy of his work
    > permit, since he doesn't have a green card yet. I'll let you know if he gets
    > summoned anyway.
    >
    > -Donna

Ranjini May 26th 2002 6:20 pm

He won't be summoned Donna. You can be sure of that. Hehas to be a citizen to do jury
duty. My son was called too, but they didn't ask for any proof of non-citizenship,
although he did have his conditional green card at the time. Perhaps, the county
clerk (Ithink that's who it is (??)) was being somewhat over-zealous in your
husband's case?? Anyway, do let us know. Every little tid bit adds up. Ranjini

> In article <0Z7I8.38429$cQ3.1759@sccrnsc01>, "Ranjini"
    >
    > > The little cash register receipt is all you have of proof of FILING for
    > > adjustment. Your K1 status expires when you file for AOS and you become "pending
    > > aos". You probably know that already. So you are perfectly legit as far as the
    > > INS. To travel you apply for advance parole to work you apply for work
    > > authorization (EAD).
    >
    > My husband recently got a questionnaire for jury duty, and they asked for a copy of
    > his green card if he claims that he isn't a citizen. He sent a copy of his work
    > permit, since he doesn't have a green card yet. I'll let you know if he gets
    > summoned anyway.
    >
    > -Donna

Donna Maindraul May 26th 2002 7:20 pm

In article <5d9I8.87240$L76.140265@rwcrnsc53>, "Ranjini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> He won't be summoned Donna. You can be sure of that. Hehas to be a citizen to do
    > jury duty.

He must be a citizen to serve. But if their concern is that people are lying to get
out of it, the question becomes "what is acceptable proof that he's NOT a citizen,"
and their standard seems to be a green card. I suspect that back in the olden days,
people didn't make it onto the jury rolls until after the INS had time to process
their applications!

-Donna

Ranjini May 26th 2002 7:20 pm

I suppose that's another way of looking at it. Interesting!! Ranjini

> In article <5d9I8.87240$L76.140265@rwcrnsc53>, "Ranjini"
    >
    > > He won't be summoned Donna. You can be sure of that. Hehas to be a citizen to do
    > > jury duty.
    >
    > He must be a citizen to serve. But if their concern is that people are lying to get
    > out of it, the question becomes "what is acceptable proof that he's NOT a citizen,"
    > and their standard seems to be a green card. I suspect that back in the olden days,
    > people didn't make it onto the jury rolls until after the INS had time to process
    > their applications!
    >
    > -Donna

Harry May 27th 2002 8:55 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone, that was a lot of help.

-Harry