Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

proof for "spur of the moment marriage"?

proof for "spur of the moment marriage"?

Old Jun 15th 2002, 10:34 am
Blanca22

Default proof for "spur of the moment marriage"?

Hello everyone,

what would be proof for a "spur of the moment"-marriage?
Showing them that we DON'T have joint bank accounts/insurance policies or a flight ticket back to the home country, etc.???
Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Blanca (B-2)

Old Jun 15th 2002, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: proof for "spur of the moment marriage"?

Well now your answer to your own question is interesting. What you are proposing as proof of a spur of the moment wedding will show the examiner that you and hubby have not comingled your lives together. It does nothing to proof that you married spontaneously.

You do not have to prove to the INS that your marriage happened without forethought. You have to prove that you are a viable married couple by including evidence of your lives together through the sharing of financial resources, living accommodations, social avenues, etc.

Whereas there are few ways to show spontanity, one is that your wedding was a small affair. Albeit one can have a "nice" wedding with a formal dress, a bridesmaid and groomsman, and a sprinkling of guests and a small reception afterwards, it can still be a spontaneous wedding. However, if yours were a lavish affair with guests attending from around the world, INS might well think that there was nothing quick about this wedding. Such an affair takes months of preparation to rent halls, hire musicians, order floral arrangements, coordinate menus, etc.

If the INS were suspicious, they might look at the fact that the foreign spouse quit their job before arriving in the US. They might have sold off their residence. Stored their belongings and/or arranged shipment of those belongings to the US before departing their homeland.

Rete
Old Jun 16th 2002, 2:21 am
Blanca22

ohh I see - thank you Rete

then I guess it's good that I haven't cancelled my apartment in my home country yet ;-) maybe I should show the contract to the INS

Thanks again,
Blanca

Old Jun 16th 2002, 2:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't show INS anything of this nature unless asked for proof. It is rare that INS will ask for proof of spontanity. Never volunteer more than was asked. Have it ready with you but don't show it until you are asked for it.
Old Jun 16th 2002, 3:23 am
Blanca22

oh ok - good to know

thank you very much, Rete

Blanca

Old Jul 24th 2002, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Camerican is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering about this. We got married quite shortly after I arrived in the US from Canada. Some sites talk about a 30-60 rule that sounds like we'll automatically be questioned. After reading some things online about rules and regulations I was wondering if we would likely be hassled about it; if we should try to put together some 'proof' that I didn't know we were getting married on this visit, and what would happen in the unlikely case that our evidence wasn't sufficient. Has anyone on this forum had problems with this? In our 'us' file we have his plane ticket from having visitted us up north, my return plane ticket that I never used to go back, what else would we need? My landlord and Dad packed up my things back in Canada; should I get a letter or something? I want to be have all my ducks in a row for the AOS interview.

Originally posted by Rete
Don't show INS anything of this nature unless asked for proof. It is rare that INS will ask for proof of spontanity. Never volunteer more than was asked. Have it ready with you but don't show it until you are asked for it.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 5:58 pm
Concierge

The 30-60 day rule, as told to me by two attorneys, pertains to the US Consulate rulings and not INS. It is not a bad rule to follow.

However, in over four years of participating in this forum, I've yet to hear of anyone who has had to prove to INS that their marriage was spontaneous. In fact, my gf Caroline from Boston married Wade from Nova Scotia, one week after he entered the US and adjusted status successfully in Boston five months later. They did this at the suggestion of the Boston INS office.

It pays to be prepared but it is worth gold not to get yourself into a ditzy about what "ifs". The ducks that you need to be concerned with are the ones that show that you have the right to bring your child to the US, that you and your husband have a viable marriage which is provable by the co-mingling of your lives together, financially, socially, habitatingly, etc. Get your name on his life insurance, health insurance, 401(k) plans, etc. as beneficiary. When you start working place his name in the same categories. Open a joint bank account, if allowable have your name added to the utilities and if possible on the lease to your apartment. If he is a home owner, he might want to hold off adding you to the deed for a while. Joint car insurance when and if you have or get a car. You won't have a lot because your interview is in six months.

You seem to have a handle on the situation so my sage advice is not to overread and not to worry about non-essentials. Don't project everyone else's problem into a possible problem for you.

Rete
Old Jul 24th 2002, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Camerican is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks You've got my number, a wee bit of a worrier. Some of the online information looks scarey and we are so happy; the kids finally have a stable family life. Me too, for that matter. I love my husband and our new life. Now if only my EAD picture wasn't so awful! LOL Thanks for being here with us all. Your encouragement and advice, not to mention know-how are very much appreciated!

THe Camerican Girl

Originally posted by Rete
The 30-60 day rule, as told to me by two attorneys, pertains to the US Consulate rulings and not INS. It is not a bad rule to follow.

However, in over four years of participating in this forum, I've yet to hear of anyone who has had to prove to INS that their marriage was spontaneous. In fact, my gf Caroline from Boston married Wade from Nova Scotia, one week after he entered the US and adjusted status successfully in Boston five months later. They did this at the suggestion of the Boston INS office.

It pays to be prepared but it is worth gold not to get yourself into a ditzy about what "ifs". The ducks that you need to be concerned with are the ones that show that you have the right to bring your child to the US, that you and your husband have a viable marriage which is provable by the co-mingling of your lives together, financially, socially, habitatingly, etc. Get your name on his life insurance, health insurance, 401(k) plans, etc. as beneficiary. When you start working place his name in the same categories. Open a joint bank account, if allowable have your name added to the utilities and if possible on the lease to your apartment. If he is a home owner, he might want to hold off adding you to the deed for a while. Joint car insurance when and if you have or get a car. You won't have a lot because your interview is in six months.

You seem to have a handle on the situation so my sage advice is not to overread and not to worry about non-essentials. Don't project everyone else's problem into a possible problem for you.

Rete