Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

proof of residence

Wikiposts

proof of residence

Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

nadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to all
Default proof of residence

wht counts as proof of residence- for purpose of opening a bank account/ giving a driving test.

i am making a trip to us for a few weeks in june and would like to get the driving licence and open a bank account- the initial stumbling block i have is proof of residence. i will be staying with my inlaws.

some one suggested to get them write tht u live with them-and that should be good enough? i cant believe it can be tht easy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

ian1976 will become famous soon enoughian1976 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: proof of residence

Good question. I'm moving to California next month, although I have already managed to open bank accounts from the UK as I am a US Citizen, but I intend to use a friend's address when I go into the DMV to apply for a licence, hopefully this will be accepted?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

This differs depending on who it is, but generally you would either need to show a lease/mortgage statement, or a bill with the address on it.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadnad
wht counts as proof of residence- for purpose of opening a bank account/ giving a driving test.

i am making a trip to us for a few weeks in june and would like to get the driving licence and open a bank account- the initial stumbling block i have is proof of residence. i will be staying with my inlaws.

some one suggested to get them write tht u live with them-and that should be good enough? i cant believe it can be tht easy
You may also be required to provide a Social Security Number, in order for you to take a driving test.

Jim.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:09 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i dont remember having to show anything with an address on. We had to know our ssn though.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Here in Denver I just needed the following:

- Two forms of identification, one of which must establish lawful presence. So your passport/visa/I-94 (check with your DMV as in Colorado some visa classification are not permitted to obtain a state drivers license.

- SSN, if you do not have one then you need a letter from the Social Security Office stating that you have either; not been issued one or that you are unable to obtain one or that you have been denined one.

- Supply a State residence address, I took my lease as proof, just incease but was never asked to present it.

Take a look at your states' DMV website, it should have the basic information you will require. I would say to give them a call also when you get here but they tend to be very clueless and the information you receive will probably vary from one employee to the next.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:24 am
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

It is different from state to state, as with most things over here But a US utility bill with your name on it is what I used over here in Nu Yalk.

When you first move over here you have to be very patient with all the bureaucracy. From start to finish expect everything to take about a month.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to do anything without a proper VISA - I suspect you'll be on a waiver if it is only a two week pre-move visit, but if I were to do it again I would follow these steps:

- First thing to do is hire a car for two weeks on a UK licence and credit card.
- Buy a cheap pay as you go cell phone for now.
- Get an ID card and proof of income from your employer. They will have to issue you a proper pay cheque until your accounts are open.
- Find an apartment. Your passport+visa, and employee info should be enough ID to get one. Only get a 6 month lease as you'll probably find somewhere better once you are settled in.
- Go to the social security building and apply for a social security number. It will take about 2 weeks to arrive but you can phone them after two working days and they will tell you what the number is.
- Open bank accounts.
- Set up your gas/leccy, cable, phones (not cell, not yet) etc.
- Now go look for a car. You'll need an ASS LOAD of ID in order to register it. This is the main reason for setting up all the other stuff first.
- Get insurance. Most places seem to be able to insure you on a UK licence, it'll cost a bit extra but it'll only be for a while.
- When the SS number arrives now apply for your learners permit and away you go.

Until you have a state learners permit, carry your passport with you everywhere. Most places around here stopped recognizing foreign licences as ID about a year ago.

If you have any questions, you've found the right place to ask them
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Check the state dmv's site to find what you will need to prove your residence. Here in IL you have to show your SSN (or ITIN), a utility bill and another id such as your passport. Some states don't allow rental cars to be used either for testing.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:58 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

If you have banks in mind, check their websites. I would think there's a page explaining what documents can be submitted as proof of residence.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Visited Florida prior to getting GC's, went into a Bank of America with passport, paid some cash, I think $100, gave my UK address and as they say" Bob' your uncle ".No proof of residence needed. Had it over two years just keep tranferring money by XE, as and when.No probs.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on who is asking...but utility bills and drivers license are the usual ones...
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:50 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need proof of local residence to open a bank account (not that I recall .. ).

But getting a driver's license is basically tied to your immigration status. Florida will let you get one, as a visitor, but they are a rare case. Since you'll still be 'just visiting' in June, I don't know how realistic it is to get a DL.
BUT, it is all state-specific.. look up the DMV for your State and see what documentation they require.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

nadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to all

to clarify my resident status - i have a gc
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

to clarify my resident status - i have a gc
Do you actually have it already? I thought you were applying for an immigrant visa?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

no i have already got one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.