British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Proof of Address ... Hotel OK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/proof-address-hotel-ok-926829/)

Fred456 Jul 31st 2019 1:47 pm

Proof of Address ... Hotel OK?

Hi All,
Im moving to the USA (Georgia) in a few months, will be opening a bank account etc. initially with HSBC USA from the UK, getting my amex ported over from the UK to USA, so hopefully some credit / bank issues saved.
However, for the first couple of months I will probably be staying in an extended stay hotel / motel or similar to get the lay of the land, find an apartment etc ... there will Im sure be a number of things which need address / proof of address (e.g. drivers licence etc) ... are extended stay temporary housing / motels ok for this purpose?
Thanks!
F

GeneralPowerpoint Jul 31st 2019 2:00 pm

Re: Proof of Address ... Hotel OK?

What address did you use for your visa application?

Fred456 Jul 31st 2019 2:04 pm

Also a hotel (My lawyer said that putting a hotel on visa application was also fine) - thanks!

civilservant Jul 31st 2019 2:11 pm

For things such as cards etc, I would be opening a PO Box close to where you will be living. Having it sent to a hotel and relying on the minimum wage desk clerk to get it to you is not something I would want to chance personally.

petitefrancaise Jul 31st 2019 2:12 pm

I've had a quick look at the Georgia DL site for you and you have 30 days after you establish residency to get your Georgia license. Is a temporary hotel "establishing residency" though? I think the question is more "how comfortable will you be getting some very sensitive documents sent to this address?"
You're going to need 2 documents to prove your residence for the DL as well as your social security number.
Your SSN letter would work - can be sent to work address if that is more secure but that means you can't use it as your proof of address.
Bank account statement? possibly but they are checking addresses now and will no longer authorise a mailbox address for example
utility bills -no, you won't get any.
If you were my client, I would be counselling you to wait until you have your own apartment/house and consider the lease start date is the start of your residency. Will you be leasing or buying a car shortly after arrival?

Fred456 Jul 31st 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks all for getting back so quickly
I will probably uber for the first couple months to be honest ... assuming I have a bank account from HSBC + Amex, and I have my SSN, does anything else desperately need a proof of address (at least for the first 60 days or so)
Thanks!
Freddie

civilservant Jul 31st 2019 2:19 pm

Driving License is really the only other thing, which, if you're not going to get quite yet, is irreverent irrelevant.

petitefrancaise Jul 31st 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12717254)
Driving License is really the only other thing, which, if you're not going to get quite yet, is irreverent.

irreverant!!! :rofl:
yes, being in the USA with no DL is quite possibly irreverant!

Fred456 Jul 31st 2019 2:24 pm

Awesome thank you so much everyone!!

MidAtlantic Jul 31st 2019 4:16 pm

Welcome to GA!

tht Jul 31st 2019 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Fred456 (Post 12717233)
Hi All,
Im moving to the USA (Georgia) in a few months, will be opening a bank account etc. initially with HSBC USA from the UK, getting my amex ported over from the UK to USA, so hopefully some credit / bank issues saved.
However, for the first couple of months I will probably be staying in an extended stay hotel / motel or similar to get the lay of the land, find an apartment etc ... there will Im sure be a number of things which need address / proof of address (e.g. drivers licence etc) ... are extended stay temporary housing / motels ok for this purpose?
Thanks!
F

are you moving for work? I did similar with HSBC, I used my office address for everything until I had my first proper apartment.