Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Progressive Insurance...completely crazy!

Progressive Insurance...completely crazy!

Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:41 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Progressive Insurance...completely crazy!

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The mandatory insurance just happens to be the most exspensive as well, so even buying the optional insurance from a private insurance company doesn't always save a whole lot.
Is it mandatory, or not?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:57 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
This may not (probably is not) just a Progessive thing but I find it crazy none the less!

Last Oct I got myself a speeding ticket, I was ticketed for doing 40 in a 30. On saturday we got our policy renewal from Progressive we are now paying a $102 extra per 6 month (I was expecting some kind of increase). The thing that I find bizarre is that Progressive work on a 'Merit Rating Plan' and give you points depending on your offence. I got 2 points for speeding however if I was caught with a DWI/DUI (drink driving) I would have only been given 1 point WTF!!!

So today I called Progressive to ask if they would do anything about the increase (they won't) but while I was on the phone I asked about the point thing and got the standard blah blah blah about that is how insurance companies work. She addmited she had no answer when I asked how it was right to assign more points to a driver who could have missed the speed limit sign (the road I was driving changes speed limits 3 times within a mile, 4 at school time) than to a driver who knowingly drinks then drives!

no offense Ash, but that's horseshit.

the whole of Michigan works of the same points system for rating and eligibility requirements. as per the Secretary of State and OFIS.

6 points for DUI
2 points for speeding.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Is it mandatory, or not?

Basic insurance coverage is required by law and has to be purchased through the government run monopoly.

Basic includes:

Third Party Liability coverage- $200,000
Accident benefits (if you hit a bicycle or pedestrian as well as passengers.)
Under insured motorist
Hit-and-Run and Uninsured Motorists coverage
Inverse Liability

Basic is required if you drive a vehicle.

Most also want comprehensive/collision and higher liability coverage and this coverage can be purchased from any insurance company.

For me the basic insurance was 151 per month, and the optional coverage was 46 per month, the optional was collision/comprehensive, glass replacement, 1.8 million liability, and car rental coverage. $500 deductible.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
no offense Ash, but that's horseshit.

the whole of Michigan works of the same points system for rating and eligibility requirements. as per the Secretary of State and OFIS.

6 points for DUI
2 points for speeding.
Didn't make any sense to me but that was the way it was written on the renewal and the woman I spoke to comfirmed it... I am guessing there are more speeders than drink drivers so they make them pay more.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Manc; Mar 21st 2009 at 8:29 pm. Reason: didn't realise you were talking from Canuckistan
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:54 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

im with progressive...i called to have my mother removed from my policy and she only lowered my rate 17 dollars, when i asked to speak with an underwriter, my rate was lowered nearly 100$ I have previously had a no insurance ticket and i even rear ended someone in 2006, the kid i rear ended admitted to break checking and causing the accident because i had a shiny new car and he thought he could get some claim money out of it and progressive worked with me, never increased my rate, ive been with them since 2006 and my rate is 87$ for full coverage on my car including comp collision underinsured and uninsured, medical payments, loan lease pay off and having a foreign international licensed driver on my policy...