Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Progressive Insurance...completely crazy!

Progressive Insurance...completely crazy!

Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Progressive Insurance...completely crazy!

This may not (probably is not) just a Progessive thing but I find it crazy none the less!

Last Oct I got myself a speeding ticket, I was ticketed for doing 40 in a 30. On saturday we got our policy renewal from Progressive we are now paying a $102 extra per 6 month (I was expecting some kind of increase). The thing that I find bizarre is that Progressive work on a 'Merit Rating Plan' and give you points depending on your offence. I got 2 points for speeding however if I was caught with a DWI/DUI (drink driving) I would have only been given 1 point WTF!!!

So today I called Progressive to ask if they would do anything about the increase (they won't) but while I was on the phone I asked about the point thing and got the standard blah blah blah about that is how insurance companies work. She addmited she had no answer when I asked how it was right to assign more points to a driver who could have missed the speed limit sign (the road I was driving changes speed limits 3 times within a mile, 4 at school time) than to a driver who knowingly drinks then drives!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:21 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Progressive Insurance...completely crazy!

Did you have the option of taking a driver's education course to have the ticket forgiven? (ie not show on your record for insurance purposes)

I only trust two auto insurers:

USAA*
State Farm

*military connection required to get this; my ex's dad served in WWII but because not an officer, we were excluded. My brother's wife's grandfather was an officer in WWII and they qualify!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:23 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Did you have the option of taking a driver's education course to have the ticket forgiven? (ie not show on your record for insurance purposes)

I only trust two auto insurers:

USAA*
State Farm

*military connection required to get this; my ex's dad served in WWII but because not an officer, we were excluded. My brother's wife's grandfather was an officer in WWII and they qualify!
You may want to recheck this now, USAA has relaxed their requirements somewhat.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
This may not (probably is not) just a Progessive thing but I find it crazy none the less!

Last Oct I got myself a speeding ticket, I was ticketed for doing 40 in a 30. On saturday we got our policy renewal from Progressive we are now paying a $102 extra per 6 month (I was expecting some kind of increase). The thing that I find bizarre is that Progressive work on a 'Merit Rating Plan' and give you points depending on your offence. I got 2 points for speeding however if I was caught with a DWI/DUI (drink driving) I would have only been given 1 point WTF!!!

So today I called Progressive to ask if they would do anything about the increase (they won't) but while I was on the phone I asked about the point thing and got the standard blah blah blah about that is how insurance companies work. She addmited she had no answer when I asked how it was right to assign more points to a driver who could have missed the speed limit sign (the road I was driving changes speed limits 3 times within a mile, 4 at school time) than to a driver who knowingly drinks then drives!

That sounds pretty crazy to me!! We go with Allstate, we used to have USAA, but we have found Allstate to be even cheaper than them (even being military) They do the 'accident forgiveness' plan, so you don't get any premium increase for just one ticket etc, they also send me a 'safe driving' check every 6 months and each year you are with them, your claim deductable goes down by $100. If I were you, I would do some insurance shopping, but the idea of doing the driving course is a good one, if that will remove the 'points' from your license.
Good Luck!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
You may want to recheck this now, USAA has relaxed their requirements somewhat.

Here in New York the points will be taken off but the insurance company still charges for the tickets. It has everything to do with your license but not a darn thing with your insurance.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
That sounds pretty crazy to me!! We go with Allstate, we used to have USAA, but we have found Allstate to be even cheaper than them (even being military) They do the 'accident forgiveness' plan, so you don't get any premium increase for just one ticket etc, they also send me a 'safe driving' check every 6 months and each year you are with them, your claim deductable goes down by $100. If I were you, I would do some insurance shopping, but the idea of doing the driving course is a good one, if that will remove the 'points' from your license.
Good Luck!
You know, I wonder about that 'safe driving' check. We've been with Allstate for at least 18months and we haven't received a damn thing. I think I'll have to give our agent a call.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:49 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

The insurance company will run an MVR to see if there any hits. If you have something common - like speeding - they will jack up your premium. You can reduce your premium a little with safe driving credits and things like that (depending on your state).

Honestly, call your insurance company back and ask to speak to an underwriter just to have it clarified. The CSR will transfer you over and the underwriter will at least have a good reason. They might even give you some pricing if you are chirpy and not pissy about it.

Oh, and get broken glass coverage. It's like $5 and is well worth it.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:04 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Esurance has worked out well for me, following my little slide-into-the-back-of-someone bad driving a few years back. Used to be with Progressive but they doubled my premiums, so I switched to Esurance.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You know, I wonder about that 'safe driving' check. We've been with Allstate for at least 18months and we haven't received a damn thing. I think I'll have to give our agent a call.

Yeah, when we moved and changed agents, we realised they had 'forgotten' our bonus check, I called them, they started to give me some crap about it starting from scratch. because I had changed agents! I told them that was ridiculous, its the same policy, we got the check
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Here in New York the points will be taken off but the insurance company still charges for the tickets. It has everything to do with your license but not a darn thing with your insurance.
Thats pretty much what I was told too.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anyone have any experience with Gieco? looks like I could save if I swtiched but I have heard they have a bad rep with claims.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyone have any experience with Gieco? looks like I could save if I swtiched but I have heard they have a bad rep with claims.
I don't know anyone that uses them, but I have heard the same complaints about the claims process.
love the little gecko though
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:37 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have any experience with Geico? looks like I could save if I swtiched but I have heard they have a bad rep with claims.
Only one claim in the last 4 years but they paid up promptly and didnt increase the premium. They also arranged and paid for a loan car from the garage where the work was being done.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Me! I've been a GEICO policyholder with the same policy since 1975.

I've never ever had a problem with them on claims. In fact, I think their claims department and their handling of claims is topnotch. I hit someone in 1989, the same day my mother died, and the person I hit continued to call me at home even during the luncheon at my apartment after the funeral. I called GEICO and they told me not to talk with that person again and to leave everything in their hands. They were wonderful.

DH had two accidents the last two years (one his fault and one not his fault). Both times GEICO handled everything and his truck was inspected within 24 hours and repair work started within 48 hours. Rental car available for one under our policy and for the other under the other person's policy.

DH had the windshield replaced this fall. They came and did it at his place of employment. He was not happy with the installation and they came out a second time. Still not happy with it (it vibrated at high speed) and this time took it to the shop and fixed correctly. Everything handled through GEICO.

You can call them toll free 24/7 and always speak with a person and not a recording. I can handle all premium payments online if I choose to. My brother in law didn't like their claims department but then my brother in law was trying to get work done on the car that was caused by the accident.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 17th 2009 at 3:48 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I was just letting SB know that USAA is I believe, now open to NCOs as well as officers,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.