British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Which professions are in short supply in USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/professions-short-supply-usa-748623/)

Bigfrank28 Feb 15th 2012 5:42 pm

Which professions are in short supply in USA?

Can anyone tell me if Construction is an area where the USA is short of Managers?

Frank

lansbury Feb 15th 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Which professions are in short supply in USA?

Construction is an area where vast numbers of people at all levels are out of work, some for a very long time.

Bigfrank28 Feb 15th 2012 5:46 pm

HI, is that the case throught the USA?

lansbury Feb 15th 2012 5:48 pm

Very much so. Construction was probably about the hardest hit in the recession.

There might be some pockets where big projects on looking to start up. Portland - Milwaukie light rail at $1.5 billion for example. Employing 14000 but they will come from all over the US to get a job on that, and we will do our best to only employ local people.

Bigfrank28 Feb 15th 2012 5:50 pm

Same over here in Scotland :(

Maybe need to go to plan B!

fatbrit Feb 15th 2012 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bigfrank28 (Post 9903914)
Can anyone tell me if Construction is an area where the USA is short of Managers?

Frank

Unless you are already permitted to work and live in the US, your question is moot. An offer of a construction manager post by an employer will not provide you with a suitable immigration status.

Bob Feb 15th 2012 6:03 pm

There aren't really professions in short supply in the US.

There might be niche skills in short supply, but that doesn't really help you out much.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Pretty much sums it up.

Bigfrank28 Feb 15th 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks anyway guys.

billd Mar 3rd 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9903931)
Portland - Milwaukie light rail at $1.5 billion for example. Employing 14000 but they will come from all over the US to get a job on that, and we will do our best to only employ local people.

Well, if it gets approved! Light rail proposals in the Portland metro area are getting beaten up these days. I gather some Milwaukie tax payers are not too happy with this project.
(I 'm personally a big fan of the MAX, both as a user, and as a piece of urban infrastructure to bind the city together.)

You know, in all your contributing to this forum, I've only just realized you also live in Portland.

dogloverus Mar 3rd 2012 3:36 pm

Doctors needed as around ten thousand foreigners let in every year in the fields Americans don't want!

Bob Mar 3rd 2012 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by dogloverus (Post 9933546)
Doctors needed as around ten thousand foreigners let in every year in the fields Americans don't want!

Just a bit of retraining from construction manager though...and not to mention expensive. It's like you you can study in the UK and be qualified in the US automatically either :/

ian-mstm Mar 4th 2012 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by dogloverus (Post 9933546)

Why are you going on about doctors when the OP is in the construction business? Such nonsense!

Ian

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 4th 2012 1:48 pm

to answer the original question and thread heading:

Viable Republican candidates for the Presidency

lansbury Mar 4th 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by billd (Post 9933210)
Well, if it gets approved! Light rail proposals in the Portland metro area are getting beaten up these days. I gather some Milwaukie tax payers are not too happy with this project.
(I 'm personally a big fan of the MAX, both as a user, and as a piece of urban infrastructure to bind the city together.)

You know, in all your contributing to this forum, I've only just realized you also live in Portland.

Don't worry unless the Federal funding is pulled it will be built. TriMet should sign the full funding agreement with the FTA first week of May. Work to build the Milwaukie end of the line starts this month. The Milwaukie Baseball park might not happen.