British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Professional Networking - Southern California - Interested? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/professional-networking-southern-california-interested-333394/)

Minty Oct 24th 2005 9:11 pm

Professional Networking - Southern California - Interested?

Hi

I have been in the US now since May and been spending a lot of time looking for work, and the search goes on. One of the things that people often say is that its all about networking and who you know. That's fine if you know someone but being new to a country creates challenges.

I was wondering if there were any expats in southern California who would be interested in meeting somewhere down the I15 from Riverside County, Murrieta, Escondido etc down to San Siego for some professional networking?

Any takers or comments on the idea?

Minty

NC Penguin Oct 25th 2005 12:54 am

Re: Professional Networking - Southern California - Interested?

Originally Posted by Minty
Hi

I have been in the US now since May and been spending a lot of time looking for work, and the search goes on. One of the things that people often say is that its all about networking and who you know. That's fine if you know someone but being new to a country creates challenges.

I was wondering if there were any expats in southern California who would be interested in meeting somewhere down the I15 from Riverside County, Murrieta, Escondido etc down to San Siego for some professional networking?

Minty

Any way you can network with Americans? This will increase your chances of finding work even more?

Do your neighbors hold block parties and the like? Do you belong to an HOA? What about leisure interests? Any clubs you could join?

If you have kids, maybe you can volunteer at their schools and meet other parents?

NC Penguin

Bob Oct 25th 2005 3:32 am

there are some networking type websites like linkedin.com but i don't know how good they are...hasn't done me any good anyway *l*

britontour Oct 25th 2005 6:38 am

Hi

Minty

Don't know about professional networking but if you just want to get out and meet people checkout www.meetin.org their in most cities and you can see who's going to what event before you turn up!

Lord Lionheart Oct 25th 2005 4:48 pm

Hi

Minty

I've been looking since May too, 200 odd applications, 8 interviews......... but I've been here since 1987 :o :D
I use career builder and monster in addition to head hunters. What do you do? What are your job hunting stats? :D
Maybe you have some resource I don't ............. probably not if you have been looking since May too.