British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Processing time for SSN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/processing-time-ssn-884982/)

AZbound Oct 24th 2016 7:02 pm

Processing time for SSN

Hi everyone, newbie here but have been lurking for a while and have found so much helpful information over the last few months so, thanks all.

My husband entered the US a couple of weeks ago on an L1 visa and he's trying to find a home to rent before myself and the kids can join him out there. Now, the company are providing a relocation package for us but this can't/won't be finalised until he has switched over to an american contract (he is currently on a contract with the british branch of the company). And the company can't/won't change him to a US contract until he has his SSN.

From my research on here, my understanding was that he should wait 2 weeks after entering the country on the L1 visa before applying for his SSN. Also, that the processing time could be a few weeks but he could wait 24 hours after applying and then go back in to write down his SSN (I may have misunderstood this part or read old information?).

Anyway, he went to the social security office today and he has been told that it will take 4-6 weeks before it is issued and there is absolutely no way he can find out his number before this.

I understand in the grand scheme of things 4-6 weeks isn't too bad but obviously, we are keen to join him out there as soon as possible (especially with christmas fast approaching).

So, to my question, was I totally wrong in believing he could find out the SSN 24 hours after applying? Or has he been given the wrong information?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Jack8602 Oct 24th 2016 7:15 pm

Re: Processing time for SSN

Hi,

I moved to Texas in January this year, i went to the social security office on the 2nd day i was here, i got my card in the mail 10 days later.

Also - my company employed and paid me without an SSN. I believe there is some sort of code for a 'pending' SSN.

morpeth Oct 24th 2016 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by AZbound (Post 12084673)
Hi everyone, newbie here but have been lurking for a while and have found so much helpful information over the last few months so, thanks all.

My husband entered the US a couple of weeks ago on an L1 visa and he's trying to find a home to rent before myself and the kids can join him out there. Now, the company are providing a relocation package for us but this can't/won't be finalised until he has switched over to an american contract (he is currently on a contract with the british branch of the company). And the company can't/won't change him to a US contract until he has his SSN.

From my research on here, my understanding was that he should wait 2 weeks after entering the country on the L1 visa before applying for his SSN. Also, that the processing time could be a few weeks but he could wait 24 hours after applying and then go back in to write down his SSN (I may have misunderstood this part or read old information?).

Anyway, he went to the social security office today and he has been told that it will take 4-6 weeks before it is issued and there is absolutely no way he can find out his number before this.

I understand in the grand scheme of things 4-6 weeks isn't too bad but obviously, we are keen to join him out there as soon as possible (especially with christmas fast approaching).

So, to my question, was I totally wrong in believing he could find out the SSN 24 hours after applying? Or has he been given the wrong information?

Thanks in advance for any information.

The company certainly "can" take care of the situation but just don't want to, especially if they have a sister company in UK. Makes me wonder in long run is this the sort of company to work for. In the past I was with a company that brought UK employees, we bent over backwards to help them in such situations especially if they had families.

Noorah101 Oct 24th 2016 7:38 pm

Did the SS rep tell him why it would take so long? If, for some reason, your husband's immigration information was not in their system, then they have to do a manual verification, and that does take 4 to 6 or even 8 weeks to complete. But if he waited 2 weeks after arrival, his info should have been in there.

Your understanding is correct as far as I'm aware, assuming the information is in the SS system.

Rene

AZbound Oct 24th 2016 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jack8602 (Post 12084688)
Hi,

I moved to Texas in January this year, i went to the social security office on the 2nd day i was here, i got my card in the mail 10 days later.

Also - my company employed and paid me without an SSN. I believe there is some sort of code for a 'pending' SSN.

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear you had such a speedy process and hopefully we aren't waiting 6+ weeks.

AZbound Oct 24th 2016 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12084697)
The company certainly "can" take care of the situation but just don't want to, especially if they have a sister company in UK. Makes me wonder in long run is this the sort of company to work for. In the past I was with a company that brought UK employees, we bent over backwards to help them in such situations especially if they had families.

I do agree that there must be something the company can do but i can't really complain about them too much. They have been fantastic in most respects and he has worked for them for over a decade. I think half the problem is the chain of communication re the specifics of the relocation package/process is a bit jumbled, the stock response to most queries seems to be they need to speak to someone else (or several different people) to find out the information or to receive approval.

AZbound Oct 24th 2016 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12084707)
Did the SS rep tell him why it would take so long? If, for some reason, your husband's immigration information was not in their system, then they have to do a manual verification, and that does take 4 to 6 or even 8 weeks to complete. But if he waited 2 weeks after arrival, his info should have been in there.

Your understanding is correct as far as I'm aware, assuming the information is in the SS system.

Rene

Hi and thanks for your reply. The rep didn't give any particular reason for the wait time. She said that the number is not generated until the card is issued and that this would take 6-8 weeks. He did specifically say that he had heard he could go back in the next day to make a note of the number whilst waiting for the card to be issued but she said no and repeated that the number isn't generated until the card is issued.

And yes, I made sure to tell him not to go in before 14 days - from researching this site, which has been such a fantastic resource over the last few months.

TheKingOfHearts Oct 24th 2016 8:21 pm

As above, I came in on an L1 back in March. Thankfully I didn't need the SSN right away as I remain paid in the UK (sigh). Anyways, I went in roughly 3 weeks into being here and whilst I can't say exactly how long, it can't have been longer than 2 weeks to receive it. I'm in Texas, fwiw.

morpeth Oct 25th 2016 3:37 am

Originally Posted by AZbound (Post 12084728)
I do agree that there must be something the company can do but i can't really complain about them too much. They have been fantastic in most respects and he has worked for them for over a decade. I think half the problem is the chain of communication re the specifics of the relocation package/process is a bit jumbled, the stock response to most queries seems to be they need to speak to someone else (or several different people) to find out the information or to receive approval.

Yes some companies always have some reason for why this or that cant be done. Hope it is resolved soon !

AZbound Oct 25th 2016 9:33 am

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts (Post 12084752)
As above, I came in on an L1 back in March. Thankfully I didn't need the SSN right away as I remain paid in the UK (sigh). Anyways, I went in roughly 3 weeks into being here and whilst I can't say exactly how long, it can't have been longer than 2 weeks to receive it. I'm in Texas, fwiw.

Thanks for replying. Glad to hear yours didn't take too long either. Fingers crossed his comes through sooner than expected.

AZbound Oct 25th 2016 9:34 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12084993)
Yes some companies always have some reason for why this or that cant be done. Hope it is resolved soon !

Very true. Thanks, me too!

yellowroom Oct 25th 2016 9:42 am

he has been told that it will take 4-6 weeks before it is issued and there is absolutely no way he can find out his number before this.

It does sound like his application has been put into manual verification - if his details don't match exactly what the CBP officer entered into the system the first time your husband entered under L-1, then it gets bumped to the manual verification. It happened to me, and no, they wouldn't tell me what the number was either until I got the card. Maybe if the application hadn't required the manual verification then yes he could have been told his SSN within 24 hours.

And the company can't/won't change him to a US contract until he has his SSN.

I signed my contract and was working for nearly 3 months before I got my SSN - others here have reported also starting work without while waiting for the number to come through. It seems to be a common misconception among some HR/payroll departments that an SSN is required. It seems that they use the SSN as a proxy for the requirement to show that the employee is authorised to work - your husband's visa does that but getting someone to understand can be tough, especially if "computer says no". Eg they can enter 000-00-0000 as the SSN into the payroll software so he can still get paid.

If your husband's company isn't used to transferring foreign employees into the US office, he may be doing them a favour in the long term by educating them. I guess it may be a case of "pick your battles" though.

It must be very frustrating for you, but you'll get there soon!

AZbound Oct 25th 2016 10:00 am

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12085195)
It does sound like his application has been put into manual verification - if his details don't match exactly what the CBP officer entered into the system the first time your husband entered under L-1, then it gets bumped to the manual verification. It happened to me, and no, they wouldn't tell me what the number was either until I got the card. Maybe if the application hadn't required the manual verification then yes he could have been told his SSN within 24 hours.

I signed my contract and was working for nearly 3 months before I got my SSN - others here have reported also starting work without while waiting for the number to come through. It seems to be a common misconception among some HR/payroll departments that an SSN is required. It seems that they use the SSN as a proxy for the requirement to show that the employee is authorised to work - your husband's visa does that but getting someone to understand can be tough, especially if "computer says no". Eg they can enter 000-00-0000 as the SSN into the payroll software so he can still get paid.

If your husband's company isn't used to transferring foreign employees into the US office, he may be doing them a favour in the long term by educating them. I guess it may be a case of "pick your battles" though.

It must be very frustrating for you, but you'll get there soon!

Hi there and thanks for your response. Yes, I suppose there's nothing we can do now but wait for SSN card to arrive. At least the ball is rolling.

He is going to speak with HR and see if there is anything they can do, given the unexpected delay. Hopefully they can find a way around this and switch him over to a US contract while we wait for the SSN to be issued.

It's just a bit difficult being in a kind of limbo over here, surrounded by boxes waiting for the relocation package to be arranged before we can join him out there. Doesn't help that patience is not one of my virtues!

markcst Oct 26th 2016 9:51 pm

Texas too. Mine took 2 weeks. I was paid in the UK though for my first 90 days and managed to time my transition to US Payroll for 1st Jan.

Phoodilicious Oct 27th 2016 6:20 am

Our first move to the US was to TX as well and our SSNs took less than 2 weeks even though they said expect them in approx. 4 weeks.