Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Process for applying for US Driver's License Following Adjustment of Status

Process for applying for US Driver's License Following Adjustment of Status

Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:38 am
Just Joined

brian_birch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Process for applying for US Driver's License Following Adjustment of Status

I am currently starting the adjustment of status process following getting married in the US.

I'm still within the 90 days of my entry via the Visa waiver and have been driving using my UK license to date.

Can anyone recommend the best time and process to apply for a driver's license in California? I do not have a social security number, temporary or otherwise, as yet.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process for applying for US Driver's License Following Adjustment of Status

If you aren't able to get a SSN, you can get a letter stating so, but if you're eligible, you have to apply for it.

If you came here on a K1 and have gotten married, then you need to get the EAD which would allow you to get the SSN.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process for applying for US Driver's License Following Adjustment of Status

Well, firstly, California only lets you drive on your UK license for 10 days, so just bear that in mind when you're creeping over the speed limit or rolling a stop sign. If you download the California drivers handbook, which you'll probably need to look at to pass the written test, it gives full details in there.
You will need a SSN. If you've been here longer than 2 weeks, you can now apply for a SSN. Mine took about 4 days to arrive after applying at my local office. If you applied for an EAD, once that arrives, you can apply for a license but it will only be valid for as long as your EAD, ie 12 months. If you wait until you have a green card, the license will be valid for as long as your green card.

***edit*** just read you came in on the visa waiver, not a K1 so my post may not be relavant, except the opening line.

Last edited by markonline1; Oct 16th 2013 at 3:55 am.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:49 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with California dl but I look forward to hearing about your vwp/aos experiences. Please keep us updated on that. It is quite unusual.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that's the case? Until the OP adjusts status he's still a nonimmigrant, a visitor, in the USA.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by markonline1
Well, firstly, California only lets you drive on your UK license for 10 days, ...
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If If you came here on a K1 and have gotten married, then you need to get the EAD which would allow you to get the SSN.
The OP can get the SS card based on his K-1 entry (doesn't have to wait to get the EAD in hand), as long as he isn't past his 76th day in the USA.

Edit, I just realized you said you entered on the VWP. In that case, you can't get your SSN until you have your EAD in hand. If CA requires you to have a SSN in order to get a DL, you won't be able to get one until after you have your EAD in hand and get your SSN.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 16th 2013 at 6:05 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:05 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No, as Rene wrote, a K-1 is EA incident to status and can get a SSN up until the point where they have only 14 days of status remaining. An EAD is necessary for a K-1 to be employed, but not necessary for a K-1 to get a SSN.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Bob
If you came here on a K1 and have gotten married, then you need to get the EAD which would allow you to get the SSN.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing something here? Everyone is talking like he entered on a K1, but he said entry on VWP.

OP - are you attempting to Adjust from the VWP?

EDIT: I see Rene is on the ball as always
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Am I missing something here? Everyone is talking like he entered on a K1, but he said entry on VWP.

OP - are you attempting to Adjust from the VWP?

EDIT: I see Rene is on the ball as always
LOL, I missed that he said it right at the beginning of this thread! I had to go back and re-read!

Rene
Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:19 pm

Not everyone. Bob brought up the K-1, don't know why, but in any case he provided incorrect information that needed to be corrected even if it doesn't apply to the OP.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by civilservant
Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Are you sure that's the case? Until the OP adjusts status he's still a nonimmigrant, a visitor, in the USA.

Regards, JEff
I didn't even know you could enter on the VWP, get married and look to stay. Once you start a process to become a resident in CA, you fall into the 10 day category. I suppose technically, you could show the cop the entry stamp in your passport and he'd be none the wiser. It would be good to drive like a saint bough just in case. As for the license, you do need a SSN in CA and you also need state issued ID. That will be either an EAD or a green card.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:14 pm

I didn't even know you could enter on the VWP, get married and look to stay.
One can, although there are severe penalties if the case is denied. It's not an adviseable immigration route.

As for the license, you do need a SSN in CA and you also need state issued ID. That will be either an EAD or a green card.
I think you mean "Federal ID". The EAD and green card are Federal ID's.

Rene
Old Oct 16th 2013, 10:03 pm

You've missed all of the many threads on the subject? Of course you can, and although the law doesn't permit it many people try it. Many of those who try are successful, some are not.
I didn't even know you could enter on the VWP, get married and look to stay.
Do you have a source for that? Just curious, although not curious enough to research it myself.
Once you start a process to become a resident in CA, you fall into the 10 day category.
Neither of which are state issued ...
... you also need state issued ID. That will be either an EAD or a green card.
Regards, JEff
Old Oct 16th 2013, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Didn't miss the threads, didn't read them as don't care as it doesn't affect me. Source is the California Drivers Handbook. The wording is a little vague, but basically it says anyone not visiting and that is establishing residency falls under the 10 day rule. I would have thought marrying an American then applying for green card is establishing residency. If you tweet CA_DMV, they are very helpful, surprisingly. They answered a tonne of my questions when I first moved over.

Last edited by markonline1; Oct 16th 2013 at 10:33 pm.