British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Problems with texts from the UK - help me! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/problems-texts-uk-help-me-285051/)

bored-silly Feb 17th 2005 11:51 pm

Problems with texts from the UK - help me!

Hi
I am having problems with my texts received from the UK. If they are from O2 they come through as from '32545 @ intnlreply.net' rather than the person's name in my phone book. This takes up alot of a text message and I am charged per received text! Also, I never know who the text is from seeing as I know quite a few prople with O2 numbers!
Also, my friend has a new 'Orange' phone and her messages come through as some sort of encrypted letters and numbers.
I am with Cingular. O2 say it is Cingular's fault and Cingular say it is O2's.
Any help from you techy's out there would be greatly appreceiated.
Thanks!
Rachel
:)

Bob Feb 18th 2005 1:04 am

Re: Problems with texts from the UK - help me!

That's a bit weird...they sending the text messages from there phones or via email?

Haven't had any problems myself with text messages so can't really help, only problems I had in the past were messages sent via email program or icq...

There's a fire fox extention that allows you free sms to any phone in the US...
but that doesn't help your problem.

anotherlimey Feb 18th 2005 1:54 am

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Hi
I am having problems with my texts received from the UK. If they are from O2 they come through as from '32545 @ intnlreply.net' rather than the person's name in my phone book. This takes up alot of a text message and I am charged per received text! Also, I never know who the text is from seeing as I know quite a few prople with O2 numbers!
Also, my friend has a new 'Orange' phone and her messages come through as some sort of encrypted letters and numbers.
I am with Cingular. O2 say it is Cingular's fault and Cingular say it is O2's.
Any help from you techy's out there would be greatly appreceiated.
Thanks!
Rachel
:)

I had the same problem when I was in the UK on Vodafone and my fiancee was on Cingular, unfortunately we never got it sorted and both networks blamed it on each other.

However now that I'm here in the US I can text from Verizon->Vodafone and my friends can text from Vodafone->Verizon.

I think you have to make sure international access is enabled at both ends, it's usually blocked when you buy the phone.

Alternatively you can send messages to a Cingular phone via their web interface, you might even be able to email <mobile number>@cingular.com.

-tom

bored-silly Feb 18th 2005 4:25 am

Thanks chaps! It's very frustrating. My friend at home phoned O2 ages ago who said they would sort it but they haven't.
It ridiculous, my mum sends a simple text (she has only just gone with the whole concept of text - she is a bit of a hippie) and it takes 3 messages which I then have to pay for!
O2 say they are not sending it as email but that is how it seems to be coming through. I think my 2 main contacts on O2 do have their roaming on and the international thingy activated but who really knows!!!
AArrggg
Anyone else got any clues?
Thanks
Rachel

Bob Feb 18th 2005 5:11 am

Well I haven't had any problems sending or recieving txt msg from o2, so I'm inclined to think it's cingular that's the problem...

and if you do the email to sms, it's an sms message, not an email, unless you have a wap phone for example.

bored-silly Feb 18th 2005 5:16 am

Bob my darlin, you may as well be speakin' French! I ain't got a clue what you are talkin about!!!

Bob Feb 18th 2005 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Bob my darlin, you may as well be speakin' French! I ain't got a clue what you are talkin about!!!

well you can send a text message via email like someone already mentioned, it's normally phone number @carrier.com so that would be cingular.
The message would be received as a straight txt msg. If you had wap, or a proper email, then they could send it to that, which you would have to get via wap, or the internet on your phone as proper email. But the chances are, your mates are sending you plain text messages, and as I've sent and recieved text messages while both in the UK and the US on O2, so with that, I'm inclined to think that the problem is with cingular...