Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Problems Registering Cars

Wikiposts

Problems Registering Cars

Old Jul 26th 2012, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problems Registering Cars

Hi all

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this or give us some advice if they have any experience.

We have been in NJ 3 weeks. My husband had his SSN so when we bought a used car from the owners of the house we are renting we went to the nearest DMV to transfer title. The initial problem that the seller had entered his driving license number in the wrong box meant we had to get him to fill in a form saying he had done this in error and get it notarized. Luckily he hadn't yet left the country for Switzerland and got it done the same day.

The next day we went back to the DMV but this time there was a new problem. Apparently my husband is not showing in their system??? They had to raise a query with IMS (immigration services??) to verify his information as they state there is a problem with his I94?? They took a mobile number and said they will call when it is sorted and we can then go back to transfer title.

A week passes and we don't hear anything so my husband decides to buy a new car from a dealer. To avoid any more issues (we thought) we did it all in my name. The dealer tells us that to get temporary plates I need a NJ drivers license. OK I got my SSN on Friday so thought I thats fine I can go and do the written and sight test to get my license. We went back to DMV yesterday and the plan was to get license, collect new car and take back rental (that we had extended once already)

When I went to apply for my permit to take test it is flagged that although I am in the system fine, there is a problem with my husband and as he is on an L1A and I am on L2 that means they cant do anything with me until his problem has been sorted.

So 8 days since they said they will call us when its sorted and we have no idea when it will be. I took back my rental anyway as it was costing a fortune and will need to get a smaller cheaper one locally. We have a car at a dealers awaiting collection and one on the drive with no plates, both insured.

Is there anything we can do to find out what the problem is and how we can help solve it??

They are not very forthcoming with any information. My husband asked to speak to a manager but the next person we spoke to said the manager goes through any replies to queries every morning and there is nothing we can do until we get a call.

Please let there be something we can do. The DMV is a minimum 1 hour round trip plus the time in there waiting (up to an hour so far each time), all with 2x 5 year olds and a 7 year old in tow.

Just want to be able to drive our cars!!

Any ideas??

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems Registering Cars

Minister for transport type office, get in touch with them to question things....exact title will depend on the state, but you should be able to google it...
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is a new SSN it can take time to show up.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Hes's had his SSN a couple of weeks. I only got mine Friday and I am in the system?? Next problem will be the insurance wanted the car examined within 10 days, which we cant get done as cant get plates!!
Fingers crossed the call comes tomorrow.