Reload this Page >

Problems Finding Health Insurance

Problems Finding Health Insurance

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Doolittle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problems Finding Health Insurance

Hi,

I recently married an American and we moved to Michigan this March.
I'm having a hard time finding health insurance. My husband has his own insurance but the company providing it won't add me.

All the insurance companies I've been in touch with say they won't insure me until I've been resident for two years.

I've had a look at the other threads but couldn't find any info - sorry if I'm repeating someone else's question.

If anyone could give me advice or recommend a company I'd be very grateful!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:30 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems Finding Health Insurance

Why won't his company add you?

There are companies who will insure you, but it's pricey doing a private policy.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Doolittle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Why won't his company add you?
They said the same thing - until I've been resident for two years they won't do it...
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:46 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Doolittle View Post
They said the same thing - until I've been resident for two years they won't do it...
That's BS.

Are the other spouses of employees offered coverage?

Is this a state law they are quoting?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

You could always try to purchase temporary health insurance. For example, Blue Shield in my area offers temporary coverage but for up to 6 months, go to the local health organization's website in your area and see what plans some doctors accept, and go to each company's website and see if they offer temporary coverage. It is typically less expensive than having a permanent plan, though one for 2 years would be hard to find.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I agree on the BS. They are trying to get you to miss the enrollment period so they wont have to pay.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:59 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts View Post
I agree on the BS. They are trying to get you to miss the enrollment period so they wont have to pay.
and break the continous coverage to...

What about a job at walmart or something? won't be cheap coverage but you'll be able to get something...
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:03 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Bollocks. Find someone more senior at the insurance company to talk to.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree that this is not right, health insurance is not provided by the government here, why would they need residency requirements?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I added my husband to my health insurance when he had been in the US for less than 6 weeks. Sounds like utter bullshite. Ask them to provide a copy of the policy and point out the page and section where it says you have to be resident in the state for 2 years. If that was the case, then anyone else in your husband's company that had been in the state for less than 2 years would have had the same problem when they tried to get covered. Have your husband ask around and see if anyone else has been quoted the same crap. Don't accept the first 'no' that you get.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:55 am
Lapine Member

I added my husband to mine days after we married, even though he had to leave the US to await his CPR! I paid for a few months of completely useless coverage (he was still covered under the Dutch system) but I had to add him straightaway or I wouldn't be able to later.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I think there are about 30-day grace periods where you can enroll someone into your plan, as well as enroll into your own plan, then after that passes you have to wait for the next enrollment period correct? If that's the case, then they are trying to save a quick buck by delaying your spouse's coverage
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:59 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa View Post
I think there are about 30-day grace periods where you can enroll someone into your plan, as well as enroll into your own plan, then after that passes you have to wait for the next enrollment period correct? If that's the case, then they are trying to save a quick buck by delaying your spouse's coverage
Yes, it's a "qualifying event" that starts that 30 days ticking. It's why I had to add my husband right away, and in a rather weird twist, I may have to add him back very soon.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

You have to add him back? Awfully strange insurance provider your job has contracted with but yeah my new job also has a qualifying period of 30 days, after that, have to wait till next year when enrollment opens up again
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:04 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa View Post
You have to add him back? Awfully strange insurance provider your job has contracted with but yeah my new job also has a qualifying period of 30 days, after that, have to wait till next year when enrollment opens up again
Chris... you don't have all night to hear the story. Look at my "joined" date - I have a few years on ya in this mad world of international relationships.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.