British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Problems Finding Health Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/problems-finding-health-insurance-631923/)

Doolittle Sep 22nd 2009 1:25 am

Problems Finding Health Insurance

Hi,

I recently married an American and we moved to Michigan this March.
I'm having a hard time finding health insurance. My husband has his own insurance but the company providing it won't add me.

All the insurance companies I've been in touch with say they won't insure me until I've been resident for two years.

I've had a look at the other threads but couldn't find any info - sorry if I'm repeating someone else's question.

If anyone could give me advice or recommend a company I'd be very grateful!

snowbunny Sep 22nd 2009 1:30 am

Re: Problems Finding Health Insurance

Why won't his company add you?

There are companies who will insure you, but it's pricey doing a private policy.

Doolittle Sep 22nd 2009 1:44 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 7952427)
Why won't his company add you?

They said the same thing - until I've been resident for two years they won't do it...

snowbunny Sep 22nd 2009 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Doolittle (Post 7952467)
They said the same thing - until I've been resident for two years they won't do it...

That's BS.

Are the other spouses of employees offered coverage?

Is this a state law they are quoting?

chrisfromusa Sep 22nd 2009 1:52 am

You could always try to purchase temporary health insurance. For example, Blue Shield in my area offers temporary coverage but for up to 6 months, go to the local health organization's website in your area and see what plans some doctors accept, and go to each company's website and see if they offer temporary coverage. It is typically less expensive than having a permanent plan, though one for 2 years would be hard to find.

Duncan Roberts Sep 22nd 2009 1:52 am

I agree on the BS. They are trying to get you to miss the enrollment period so they wont have to pay.

Bob Sep 22nd 2009 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7952499)
I agree on the BS. They are trying to get you to miss the enrollment period so they wont have to pay.

and break the continous coverage to...

What about a job at walmart or something? won't be cheap coverage but you'll be able to get something...

dbj1000 Sep 22nd 2009 2:03 am

Bollocks. Find someone more senior at the insurance company to talk to.

chrisfromusa Sep 22nd 2009 2:20 am

I would agree that this is not right, health insurance is not provided by the government here, why would they need residency requirements?

Bluegrass Lass Sep 22nd 2009 2:52 am

I added my husband to my health insurance when he had been in the US for less than 6 weeks. Sounds like utter bullshite. Ask them to provide a copy of the policy and point out the page and section where it says you have to be resident in the state for 2 years. If that was the case, then anyone else in your husband's company that had been in the state for less than 2 years would have had the same problem when they tried to get covered. Have your husband ask around and see if anyone else has been quoted the same crap. Don't accept the first 'no' that you get.

snowbunny Sep 22nd 2009 2:55 am

I added my husband to mine days after we married, even though he had to leave the US to await his CPR! I paid for a few months of completely useless coverage (he was still covered under the Dutch system) but I had to add him straightaway or I wouldn't be able to later.

chrisfromusa Sep 22nd 2009 2:58 am

I think there are about 30-day grace periods where you can enroll someone into your plan, as well as enroll into your own plan, then after that passes you have to wait for the next enrollment period correct? If that's the case, then they are trying to save a quick buck by delaying your spouse's coverage

snowbunny Sep 22nd 2009 2:59 am

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 7952663)
I think there are about 30-day grace periods where you can enroll someone into your plan, as well as enroll into your own plan, then after that passes you have to wait for the next enrollment period correct? If that's the case, then they are trying to save a quick buck by delaying your spouse's coverage

Yes, it's a "qualifying event" that starts that 30 days ticking. It's why I had to add my husband right away, and in a rather weird twist, I may have to add him back very soon.

chrisfromusa Sep 22nd 2009 3:01 am

You have to add him back? Awfully strange insurance provider your job has contracted with :p but yeah my new job also has a qualifying period of 30 days, after that, have to wait till next year when enrollment opens up again

snowbunny Sep 22nd 2009 3:04 am

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 7952672)
You have to add him back? Awfully strange insurance provider your job has contracted with :p but yeah my new job also has a qualifying period of 30 days, after that, have to wait till next year when enrollment opens up again

Chris... you don't have all night to hear the story. :p Look at my "joined" date - I have a few years on ya in this mad world of international relationships. ;)