Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Problems with DSL

Problems with DSL

Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:09 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jaytee
Definitely re-wire it so that you can plug in both your phone AND your ethernet. You have one 8 wire cable from the control box for each room right? How does it terminate at the control box for both phone and dsl? Is it a Y-cable with two connectors that you must choose which one to use?

The limitation is then the bedroom4 RJ-11 (phone) wall port which can only accomodate 4 wires .. while you need 2 for phone and 4 for ethernet! They should have put in RJ -45 ports in the walls and that would have enabled you to use a Y-cable with one phone connector and one ethernet connector.
AHA! That's a thought! Still not sure it will solve the initial problem, but it does seem that we've been short changed with the ports. Each cable has just 1 connector at the end to use in the control box, so it's either phone or ethernet, not both. No Y-cables (as far as I know) The RJ-45 ports have 2 sockets in them I presume.
Oh God....... I'm going to have to start moaning at them again. At least I'm armed with something new to argue with them about. Don't really want to try wiring in one by ourselves just yet. Want to wait until we reach a dead end, otherwise the arseholes will say we've voided our warranty (yes, they've already tried that one before as well)
Old Aug 8th 2003, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
AHA! That's a thought! Still not sure it will solve the initial problem, but it does seem that we've been short changed with the ports. Each cable has just 1 connector at the end to use in the control box, so it's either phone or ethernet, not both. No Y-cables (as far as I know) The RJ-45 ports have 2 sockets in them I presume.
Oh God....... I'm going to have to start moaning at them again. At least I'm armed with something new to argue with them about. Don't really want to try wiring in one by ourselves just yet. Want to wait until we reach a dead end, otherwise the arseholes will say we've voided our warranty (yes, they've already tried that one before as well)
Following the appropriate wiring.. you should put 2 plugs onto the cable at the control box.. and plug both phone and ethernet in at the control box. Then, on the other end at the bedroom wall, replace the rj-11 phone port with an RJ-45 port. Then fashion a Y cable to go from the wall port to your computer network card and to your phone.

You would need:

some cat5 cable
RJ-45 keystone jacks and faceplates for each room
a punchdown tool to wire the keystone jacks
RJ-45 / RJ -11 crimp tool
RJ-45 / RJ -11 connectors

to make it easy, you could start with something like Belkin's network in a box http://www.provantage.com/buy-220649...t-shopping.htm

I used separate cables for phone and ethernet with a home run phone line to the DSL modem and a filter to the rest of the house.

Last edited by jaytee; Aug 8th 2003 at 2:13 am.