Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Problem with new school places

Problem with new school places

Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

budleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nice
Default Problem with new school places

After somehow managing to get our wires crossed when speaking with the new school, it turns out that although the kids places for next year are safe they have no space for my 8 year old son for the 6 weeks left in this school year once we arrive

There is another school approx 1 mile away with places but it is a brand new school and I can't find any details/stats/reviews or anything about it other than the address and school website.

Are options now seem to be:

Put 6 year old in kindergarten in the more local and preferred school
Put 8 year old in Grade 2 of new school

Put 6 year old in kindergarten in local school
Put 8 year old in new school until new school year then switch to more the local school

Put both children in new school

Home school 8 year old for 6 weeks and start him in local school in new school year.

or something else????

Feel awful that already we are compromising the kids a bit in the move
I want them to settle and make friends quickly, like everyone does I suppose.

Any advice would be great
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:51 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with new school places

Extra 6 weeks holiday and you are the best mum in the world - .

OK maybe don't let the kids see this post....
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You're talking 6 weeks here, not 6 months. And those 6 weeks are end of the school year with little work being done anyway. Send the 8 year old to the new school and the 6 year old to the school they will be continuing to attend in the next school year. If having them attend the same school is important to you then transfer the 8 yo to the originally planned school. Surprised that you have a choice.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:44 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with Rete. The 8 year old wont do much actual work in the last 6 weeks but it will give him an earlier taster of how it will all work and give him a chance to try stuff out and not have to wait until september. id send him to the alternative school and find out the earliest date you can register for the new school in sept and make sure you get him registered as close to day 1 as possible.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:37 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Since it's only 6 weeks, and it isn't the school he'll be going to in September, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. What I would recommend is signing them for some summer camps this summer so they can start meeting other kids in the area. School tends to start wrapping up in those final weeks. Best regards, Naomi.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:53 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MsElui
i agree with Rete. The 8 year old wont do much actual work in the last 6 weeks but it will give him an earlier taster of how it will all work and give him a chance to try stuff out and not have to wait until september. id send him to the alternative school and find out the earliest date you can register for the new school in sept and make sure you get him registered as close to day 1 as possible.
In some ways, this could be a good thing for the 8 year old. He can make his mistakes fitting in to a new environment at the other school, then come to the local school in Sept with the lessons of that experience learned, yet without it following him. Bargain!