Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A Problem with British Expatriates

A Problem with British Expatriates

Old Jul 11th 2003, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

As I happen to have been born in Charlotte, I can undestand your sentiments.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 11:11 am
Old Southern Belle

gemini is an unknown quantity at this point

This was such an interesting thread. Loved the pictures of Chicago. We lived there for over 20 years and luckily have a son still there so we get to visit frequently. We also lived in the New York area for a dozen years...not a patch on Chicago. Have now retired to the Deep South ( NOT Florida) as those northern winters became too tough. We have visited many parts of the US and agree that NY and LA do not represent the US.
Having moved south to escape winter we had an unusual snowfall this past winter which paralysed the area. See the snowcovered palm!
Attached Thumbnails A Problem with British Expatriates-snowonpalm2.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2003, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road

I love all the pictures everyone has posted. Some of you guys live in the most beautiful places! I live in Charleston SC- really pretty area....moved here because the hubby has lived in SC most of his life. He's more of a country boy than a city dweller...When we went to WA state to visit some of his family, I loved it up there because the weather reminded me of a cool summer day in UK. But I also got the hayfever I got in UK too!! I still have a lot of travelling to do- I have been here 3 years and have only been to FL, NYC, WA and IL to visit family. We are planning on more travelling to see all the beautiful places in US. Planning on maybe going to VT in Sep to meet up with some friends....
Old Jul 13th 2003, 2:12 am
Just Joined

soniajane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Problem with British Expatriates

Hi
I am a British Citizen I left to go to University in Montreal Canada then left for a great job in Chicago. I think Chicago is a great city except the cold winters. I want to also add that while Chicago is diverse it is increadible segregated. Which is a shame because after living in a diverse place such as Montreal where people of different cultures etc live side by side- it is very distrubing to see such segregation.!
Originally posted by ctwickman
You know I see a real trend/problem on this forum among newcoming Brits. A lot of you tend to focus so much on the coasts that you miss the real America--what's all in the middle. Of course there are a few here that live in the Midwest and South, but there are too many here that think moving to California, Florida, or the Northeast is the way to go, when in fact if you would talk to almost any American they would not be caught dead living in these areas. They are the most polluted, congested, EXPENSIVE places to live in this country, and they offer very little, if anything, over other parts of the country. Most of the country is run by the same corporations and we all get the same television and primary services. Maybe it's just media attention that we Brit expats think that the only America that exists is that which exists in the movies. If you talk to people that have lived here their whole life, you will quickly realize that there are MAJOR differences in cost-of-living between places in America, and very little different in actual day-to-day life.

I was dismayed on this forum how few people have actually been to what most Americans consider to be 2nd to New York in culture and entertainment... that is, Chicago. How many here have actually been to places like Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte, Denver, etc.? These are some of the best and most affordable places to live in this country, yet I see most people here talk only of California, Florida, or New York or Boston like that is all that exists. If you asked MOST Americans, however, they would usually respond that they would never consider moving/living in these places since they are so polluted/expensive/congested and they can have a much better lifestyle pretty much anywhere else in America. The cost of living between a place like San Francisco and Chicago is insanely different (Chicago being almost half the price), yet I would argue that Chicago is a much more culturally friendly, diverse, exciting, entertaining, laid back and friendly place to live. I spent my 4th of July weekend biking along the lakefront in Chicago and Milwaukee and was blown away. There are few cities in the world finer, ESPECIALLY when you take into account what type of lifestyle you can afford with your paycheck.

I have a feeling that a lot of expats have not travelled and gotten to know this country very extensively. I mean, anywhere here that complains that there are no corner pubs and walkable areas in America have obviously never been to places like Milwaukee, Chicago, or Cleveland.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 3:06 am
jester

Hey Haldaman, we're from Bristol too! Now living in Staunton VA and wake up each day thanking the Good Lord we are here. The George Washington National Forest is half a mile up the road and the beautiful Blue RIDGE mountains are thebackdrop to our warm summer evenings sat out on the porch watching the fireflies. Finches Cardinals and squirrels combine to make a regular cabaret in the mornings too, and I honestly cannot remember when I last needed to lock my car. Life just doesn't get any better!

Originally posted by Haldaman
Oops sorry the pic arrived before the text......note conch sheel on picket fence and neighbour relaxing 24/7 on his porch....

Anyway....there is no way I am releasing the location of the place where I will be living the rest of my life with my beautiful southern woman....

It is quiet.....a rest from a hectic UK city....birds sing, the occasional dingbatter drives past in the summer looking for property to buy and become a ditdot...squirrels play in the mimosa, cat sleeps in the shade, dog dozes next to me on the swing with one ear open for the UPS man, (he hates him!), Juice Newton or Barbara Mandrell drifting from the stereo....

The tv is fine. I can watch Formula one though the commentary is crap compared to ITV and there are too many ads, but Wings, Discovery, History keep me occupied when I have time from sitting on the porch just soaking in the NC ambience...

This is heaven!!

Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Here's another
Hey don't i recognise this scene from Close Encounters???
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Here's another
Hey don't I recognise this scene from Close Encounters?
Old Jul 17th 2003, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

markwplatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living in the south

Having been in the DEEP south for teh past six years I have to agree that there is too much empahsis on the coasts.
Yes we are far less cosmopolitan but we do have ballet opera etc.
In addition the people are by far the friendliest I have met anywhere, this includes London Leeds, Boston, Albuquerque and other countries.
Hoems are dirt cheap with a big 4 bedroom house with a pool for around $180000 in a good area.
So if you are in the UK , thinking of moving here look at the whole map not just the edges!
Mark
Old Oct 24th 2003, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
My USC spouse is not from anywhere in particular in the US (moved around a lot before I met him) and before relocating to the UK was living in Fairfax County, VA.

Due to the lack of job opportunities in Northern VA as well as pretty high property prices, we moved to where he found a job. I know of a BritishExpat member who moved this year to where he could find work and it's completely unrelated to where his USC spouse came from.

NC Penguin
This is what we will be doing. I'm originally from California, however, I've no particular longing to go back there for various reasons. In the long run where we live will be defined by where hubby can find work. Although in saying that there are definitely some States I'd take a miss on. Ideally we'd like to stay in Washington State, somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

We know many of these places do afford a lower cost of living...having lived in the midwest for several years. However, we would still choose California over most places. As hubby always says "One does not have to shovel rain in Califonia"! Seen too many accidents, along with people falling on black ice etc in the midwest. Also being shut in for six months of the year, would be reliving England's weather all over again. No thanks, give us the sun anyday, and the price we pay for it. Eveything in life is a trade off...think about it.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Poshpaws
We know many of these places do afford a lower cost of living...having lived in the midwest for several years. However, we would still choose California over most places. As hubby always says "One does not have to shovel rain in Califonia"! Seen too many accidents, along with people falling on black ice etc in the midwest. Also being shut in for six months of the year, would be reliving England's weather all over again. No thanks, give us the sun anyday, and the price we pay for it. Eveything in life is a trade off...think about it.
There are things I especially miss about California, unfortunately its not the heat. I was raised in Southern California and had really lived there all my life, with exception of a year in Texas (wouldn't go back there if they paid me, and of course they might just! ) and a few months in Washington State. While I'm not particularly fond of tons of rain and I'm pretty sure I don't want to live in extreme winter conditions, I suppose that would be the sacrifice I'd make at this point. Unfortunately where we eventually end up will be governed by where hubby finds a job. He's in telecommunications and we understand how the job market is at the moment. It makes it that much harder to leave here as Doug has a pretty good job with BT. However, everything else is right and we've just sold the house, our nest egg. So, with fingers crossed, we're swimming over and hoping for the best.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: A Problem with British Expatriates

Originally posted by ctwickman
You know I see a real trend/problem on this forum among newcoming Brits. A lot of you tend to focus so much on the coasts that you miss the real America--what's all in the middle. Of course there are a few here that live in the Midwest and South, but there are too many here that think moving to California, Florida, or the Northeast is the way to go, when in fact if you would talk to almost any American they would not be caught dead living in these areas. They are the most polluted, congested, EXPENSIVE places to live in this country, and they offer very little, if anything, over other parts of the country. Most of the country is run by the same corporations and we all get the same television and primary services. Maybe it's just media attention that we Brit expats think that the only America that exists is that which exists in the movies. If you talk to people that have lived here their whole life, you will quickly realize that there are MAJOR differences in cost-of-living between places in America, and very little different in actual day-to-day life.

I was dismayed on this forum how few people have actually been to what most Americans consider to be 2nd to New York in culture and entertainment... that is, Chicago. How many here have actually been to places like Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte, Denver, etc.? These are some of the best and most affordable places to live in this country, yet I see most people here talk only of California, Florida, or New York or Boston like that is all that exists. If you asked MOST Americans, however, they would usually respond that they would never consider moving/living in these places since they are so polluted/expensive/congested and they can have a much better lifestyle pretty much anywhere else in America. The cost of living between a place like San Francisco and Chicago is insanely different (Chicago being almost half the price), yet I would argue that Chicago is a much more culturally friendly, diverse, exciting, entertaining, laid back and friendly place to live. I spent my 4th of July weekend biking along the lakefront in Chicago and Milwaukee and was blown away. There are few cities in the world finer, ESPECIALLY when you take into account what type of lifestyle you can afford with your paycheck.

I have a feeling that a lot of expats have not travelled and gotten to know this country very extensively. I mean, anywhere here that complains that there are no corner pubs and walkable areas in America have obviously never been to places like Milwaukee, Chicago, or Cleveland.
I have lived in US for 15 years, and have visited almost every State. I lived in Philly for 10 years and loved it. We lived there because of the work my husband does (he works for Boeing). We now live in Arizona, promotion brought us here and it is divine. So, many of us choose the areas we live in because work necessitates it.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I live in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains, an hour or less to the West. Much more appealing than DC & all the crap there. Guess DC is as much the true USA as London is England, or any capital that country.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 4:49 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I live in Connecticut.... I haven't been home in 16 bloody years, and have traveled the US extensively... What on earth is your point man? I'm betteing that most of us moved to the states we live in for reasons other than their location in respect to the coast!

Grrrrr, forgetting to punctuate... must move on!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some beautiful parts of NY - we live here on Long Island as it's absolutely stunning, close to the ocean yet only 90 mins from the culture of the City.
Attached Thumbnails A Problem with British Expatriates-lighthouse2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.