Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Probably heard it a thouisand times before...

Probably heard it a thouisand times before...

Old Sep 5th 2003, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

gabbaman99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Probably heard it a thouisand times before...

Hello,

i am looking into the possibility of moving to america for a few years. Having checked the official government sites, i have discovered that they are almost incomprehensible. i wonder if you, more experienced, and english sensitive, guys may be able to shed any insight on the possibility of this happening.

heres my basic stuff:

university graduate 2 years ago.
i've got family living in america (uncles, cousins and aunties only, although 1 aunt and 2 cousins are americans)
i am not a proffessional.

come on america, i'm a good guy. i'm not aiming to subvert you or nothing.

any help muchly appreciated (i'll buy you a pint when i arrive)

cheers

rich
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:30 pm
ScarlettHill

Default Re: Probably heard it a thouisand times before...

Originally posted by gabbaman99
Hello,

i am looking into the possibility of moving to america for a few years. Having checked the official government sites, i have discovered that they are almost incomprehensible. i wonder if you, more experienced, and english sensitive, guys may be able to shed any insight on the possibility of this happening.

heres my basic stuff:

university graduate 2 years ago.
i've got family living in america (uncles, cousins and aunties only, although 1 aunt and 2 cousins are americans)
i am not a proffessional.

come on america, i'm a good guy. i'm not aiming to subvert you or nothing.

any help muchly appreciated (i'll buy you a pint when i arrive)

cheers

rich
"There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

I hope this helps."

Old Sep 5th 2003, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

gabbaman99 is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers for that.

doesnt sound too promising then. anybody actually done it in a similar way to what i would be trying?
Old Sep 6th 2003, 1:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScarlettHill
...... from: Pulaski, 2002-3, BritishExPats.
ROFLMAO!

Have I invented the "self-posting post"?
Old Sep 6th 2003, 2:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
ROFLMAO!

Have I invented the "self-posting post"?
They have got a damm cheek...Especially on your 5th star day.....

All questions to Pulanski today please..........
Old Sep 6th 2003, 11:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
They have got a damm cheek...Especially on your 5th star day.....

All questions to Pulaski today please..........
I've been out all day, and as it is quiet on the boards on a weekend I'd have to dig though some really old threads to get up to 1,000 before tomorrow night. The landmark number of posts will come all in good time.