Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Private Pension from Isle of Man

Private Pension from Isle of Man

Old May 30th 2022, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private Pension from Isle of Man

I've done a search and can't really see anything pertaining to this? I'm looking to cash out a private pension that I took out with Aviva on the Isle of Man in 2001. I turned 55 a few years ago and am able to access it now and I've been told the first 30% is tax free and the rest will be taxed at 20%. Does anyone know if I'll be taxed over here as a citizen too or are the tax implications different seeing as it's the IOM? It's just under £30,000 and would be the deposit on a new house. I appreciate any and all advice.
Old May 30th 2022, 7:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Pension from Isle of Man

The IOM doesn't show it has a double taxation agreement with the USA so the worst possible assumption is it is taxable in both places.

List of countries which do have double taxation agreements with the IOM.

https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-va...on-agreements/
Old May 30th 2022, 8:49 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
The IOM doesn't show it has a double taxation agreement with the USA so the worst possible assumption is it is taxable in both places.
That's correct. I have an occupational pension from employment on the Isle of Man. The IOM taxes it at 20% and the full monthly amount (before taxes are taken) is declared as pension income to the IRS and taxed as such.

The good news is that the IOM tax return is a doddle to complete.
Old May 31st 2022, 12:12 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
That's correct. I have an occupational pension from employment on the Isle of Man. The IOM taxes it at 20% and the full monthly amount (before taxes are taken) is declared as pension income to the IRS and taxed as such.

The good news is that the IOM tax return is a doddle to complete.
Are you not able to take the foreign tax credit/deduction for the tax’s paid in IOM?

The guidance does not mention there needing to be a double tax agreement in place.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...ign-tax-credit

And pensions are excluded so foreign earned income exclusion is not if much help:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...come-exclusion

Last edited by tht; May 31st 2022 at 12:20 pm.
Old May 31st 2022, 2:58 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Are you not able to take the foreign tax credit/deduction for the tax’s paid in IOM?

The guidance does not mention there needing to be a double tax agreement in place.

And pensions are excluded so foreign earned income exclusion is not if much help:

Absolutely. I claim the foreign tax credit. That doesn't necessarily balance the books - for whatever reason I don't get 100% FTC and I have a growing carry-over balance which at least is good for, I think, 10 years.

Last edited by celticgrid; May 31st 2022 at 2:59 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 31st 2022, 4:24 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Absolutely. I claim the foreign tax credit. That doesn't necessarily balance the books - for whatever reason I don't get 100% FTC and I have a growing carry-over balance which at least is good for, I think, 10 years.
Its probably state and city tax…. I had the same issue living in NYC and commuting to London for a few years. You end up paying more out of pocket and have a carryover that will expire. It is hard to use because you effectively need to have income that is taxed at a much lower rate or tax free to use it up…
Old May 31st 2022, 10:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

But that just means he gets a credit for what was paid in the IOM. It doesn't help in avoiding US taxes being due. Although as he is a US citizen I would guess he would be stuffed anyway on the tax free amount if a Treaty did exist.