Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry's new Job - what visa ?

Prince Harry's new Job - what visa ?

Old May 8th 2021, 1:45 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry's new Job - what visa ?

Originally Posted by Boiler
He would have to go GC first before US Citizenship

But I can see an A1 is possible but did not think it came with work authorisation.

However it does come with Diplomatic Immunity of some sort.

How would he be paid?
Should be able to rule out the H1b, I don’t think he went to university, and his role is not listed:

https://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=Be...ity=&year=2020

https://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=Be...ity=&year=2021
Old May 8th 2021, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He seems to be work authorised so H and L are out.

A1 would seem to apply if he was a dependent? That seems to get work authorisation.
Old May 8th 2021, 1:53 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

He seems to be work authorised so H and L are out.

A1 would seem to apply if he was a dependent? That seems to get work authorisation.
That does not seem to fit, unless the Queen asked him to do everything he is doing out here for her government?

To qualify for an A-1 or A-2 visa, you must be traveling to the United States on behalf of your national government to engage solely in official activities for that government.”

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...diplomats.html

Last edited by tht; May 8th 2021 at 2:00 pm.
Old May 8th 2021, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The more I look at it the less likely an A would apply.
Old May 8th 2021, 2:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon he has a spousal visa. They stayed in Canada until the visa was through.

Old May 8th 2021, 2:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I reckon he has a spousal visa. They stayed in Canada until the visa was through.

I go with you on this, JG. As they are celebrities, I'm sure that they bypassed the normal wait time for the Immediate Relative Visa (CR-1 in his case as they were married less than 2 years). He will be eligible to apply for naturalization in 2 years or so since he has been here since last 2020.
Old May 8th 2021, 2:15 pm
tht

The more I look at it the less likely an A would apply.
Pretty terrible reporting to no even look at the basics of a visa before suggesting it.

I think asylum can be ruled out because he has since traveled back to the UK multiple times.

Would the Royals even be considered a “social group”?

My guess is it’s not a usual status, and maybe something granted by executive order or by some other alternate process.

“Every year people come to the United States seeking protection because they have suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution due to:
  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinion

Old May 8th 2021, 2:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think so too. Would have been easy to have applied from the UK when they made their minds up about leaving, and just waited out the process in Canada.
Old May 8th 2021, 2:25 pm
tht

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think so too. Would have been easy to have applied from the UK when they made their minds up about leaving, and just waited out the process in Canada.
The one thing that backs this up is the comment about being cut off financially by the Royals, that could have been the way they avoid all the tax exposure with him becoming US tax resident.

Although that would directly contradict:

A royal source said: "The Duke has not made an application for dual citizenship, and I don't think he will apply for a green card at any point."

Unless they are being clever with words because he already has a green card, so he has no need to apply for one.
Old May 8th 2021, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
The one thing that backs this up is the comment about being cut off financially by the Royals, that could have been the way they avoid all the tax exposure with him becoming US tax resident.

Although that would directly contradict:

A royal source said: "The Duke has not made an application for dual citizenship, and I don't think he will apply for a green card at any point."

Unless they are being clever with words because he already has a green card, so he has no need to apply for one.
The Express is no better than the National Enquirer. How on earth can they speculate about whether or not Haz has made an application for US citizenship…when he is not yet eligible to do so?

Their US tax returns should be interesting.
Old May 8th 2021, 2:38 pm
tht

The Express is no better than the National Enquirer. How on earth can they speculate about whether or not Haz has made an application for US citizenship…when he is not yet eligible to do so?

Their US tax returns should be interesting.
A green card seems to be the only “normal” status that would allow him to have multiple paid roles / jobs legally:

Apparently it came from a Royal source, also reported by other venues:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...hold-f5w0xvcdt

I can’t remember if the renouncing of titles was only at US citizenship or part of the GC as well?

Last edited by tht; May 8th 2021 at 2:43 pm.
Old May 8th 2021, 2:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by tht
A green card seems to be the only “normal” status that would allow him to have multiple paid roles / jobs legally:

Apparently it came from a Royal source, also reported by other venues:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...hold-f5w0xvcdt

I can’t remember if the renouncing of titles was only at US citizenship or part of the GC as well?
It is when obtaining US citizenship. USC’s are not entitled to use titles, therefore I cannot see him applying to become a USC anytime soon. Although she is still trying to milk her title for all she can get out of it. If some reports are correct, sometime in the future, there may be a President Duchess of Sussex.
Old May 8th 2021, 2:56 pm
tht

It is when obtaining US citizenship. USC’s are not entitled to use titles, therefore I cannot see him applying to become a USC anytime soon. Although she is still trying to milk her title for all she can get out of it. If some reports are correct, sometime in the future, there may be a President Duchess of Sussex.
What would he be then? First Prince of the United States ?

Last edited by tht; May 8th 2021 at 3:03 pm.
Old May 8th 2021, 3:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by tht
What would he be then? First Prince of the United States ?
Old May 8th 2021, 3:10 pm
tht

His recent travel could also give clues to his status, as only certain status would allow him to travel back directly:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/prince-harry-london/

assuming he flies commercial, which immigration line he uses may also give clue, unless they have a VIP suite like at LHR they could send him though..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.