Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of transatlantic flight.

Price of transatlantic flight.

Old Sep 13th 2013, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

needle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Price of transatlantic flight.

Has the UK/US flight market got some kind of cartel going? Is that why its so much more expensive than flying to europe and beyond??

Old Sep 13th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

flying from the UK is expensive because of the high APD...that's why some people find it cheaper to go from London to Amsterdam then the US even at times with a stopover in London
Old Sep 13th 2013, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Heard about this on GMA this morning. Some people were getting flights for ZERO dollars! It went on for about 2 hours before United fixed the problem.

They haven't said whether or not they'll honour the bookings, just that they'll 'do what's appropriate'. My guess is they'll offer them at a price, but greatly reduced because of their error - but enough so that people who just took advantage won't pay!
United has decided to honor the fares, so some very lucky people got a very good deal.

United say's because it was a human error and not a computer glitch, they decided to honor the fares because of this.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/13/news...html?hpt=hp_t3
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:59 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
flying from the UK is expensive because of the high APD...that's why some people find it cheaper to go from London to Amsterdam then the US even at times with a stopover in London
We've been using the Amsterdam route for about 12 years, partly because it was cheaper, partly because the connections to "up north" were better, and partly because they lost our bags less frequently. The connections are still better, the bag record is still good, but unfortunately the prices are now equivalent to transiting through London
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:21 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We've been using the Amsterdam route for about 12 years, partly because it was cheaper, partly because the connections to "up north" were better, and partly because they lost our bags less frequently. The connections are still better, the bag record is still good, but unfortunately the prices are now equivalent to transiting through London
It all depends on connection time at the airport for the UK leg. See section 4 of HMRC Notice 550
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
It all depends on connection time at the airport for the UK leg. See section 4 of HMRC Notice 550
Not sure what you are trying to say, and I don't have time to read through a 60 page link, but all I was saying was that the flights via Amsterdam used to be a few hundred bucks cheaper per seat. I've read that UK taxes are lower for short haul/European destinations vs long haul/transatlantic destinations, and that may have explained the original difference in pricing. Now that difference has virtually disappeared. I don't know/care what the relative breakdown is/was on taxes, surcharges, duty etc because the only number that is really relevant to me is the one that hits my bank account for getting me to my destination.