Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of transatlantic flight.

Price of transatlantic flight.

Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:27 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of transatlantic flight.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes, you are correct. "Taxes and fees".
I was going to say - is this fees as well? You often see that in Australia (as you must know "Ozzi" doc) - Flights to Hong Kong for just $300!! Click through a couple of times and it's suddenly $2800 ($2500 "fees"), etc. Just more bullshit.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:29 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Make that statement after making a Transatlantic Trip on a 757, as opposed to a 777.

Jim
Did that to JFK on Continental. Never again.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

I've found google flights is a good place, seems to be a simpler version of all those other cheap flight sites. And it offers a readable graph of the best dates/times to fly for price.

I still haven't used the SAN-LHR flight, although most of european pals in San Diego swear by it.

I still fly on the old continental route SAN-NWK-Belfast. By far the fastest way to get to N. Ireland from the US. Unfortunately United took over, and the service got way worse.

I am curious, does everyone else have the same problem with United that I do? Cancellations/Delays/Changed flights in the last three attempts. I am surprised United are in business, but i think i must have been really unlucky.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
I've found google flights is a good place, seems to be a simpler version of all those other cheap flight sites. And it offers a readable graph of the best dates/times to fly for price.

I still haven't used the SAN-LHR flight, although most of european pals in San Diego swear by it.

I still fly on the old continental route SAN-NWK-Belfast. By far the fastest way to get to N. Ireland from the US. Unfortunately United took over, and the service got way worse.

I am curious, does everyone else have the same problem with United that I do? Cancellations/Delays/Changed flights in the last three attempts. I am surprised United are in business, but i think i must have been really unlucky.
Not me. I prefer to use AA between Chicago and Manchester, as the UK Homestead is 40 mins from Ringway. One problem, only, after quite a few round-trips.

I'm quite pleased with my experience with AA.

Jim
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Well United are going to have to make this kind of price drop to keep anybody flying with them. As soon as I've spent all my airmiles with them, I'm done with them.

I never figured out the 'taxes'. BA's taxes are considerably higher than United's...
Taxes and fees per passenger are partially based on the size of the plane. 747s and A380s have a large storage capacity and instead of adding fees for cargo, airlines usually just add fees to the ticket price for passenger planes to compensate. Although the cargo fees are part of the passenger ticket price, those fees are passed on to the receivers of the cargo by the airlines.

It is just easier for airports and airlines to bill it that way for passenger planes. In the end it all evens out. If the plane is half full, the airline probably loses money for passenger service but has a higher cargo load for non passengers and on a full plane, the airline makes money on the passenger service but has a smaller cargo load for non passengers.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 29th 2013 at 9:04 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

We flew United back to England in June, Phoenix-Washinton-Manchester, and it was $1200 each, for 4 of us. Not too bad a trip, mind you - the transatlantic leg was on those baby planes with only 6 seats across but was at least a new one with a good entertainment system.

And for the domestic legs, hubby got Me+One upgrades as he flies fairly frequently for work: on the way out, he took our daughter into Premium Economy, and on the way back they two of them squeaked up at the last minute into First Class, and the nice departure gate man gave Son and I the then spare Premium Economy seats!

Roll on a couple of years, and the kids will be old enough to leave a dozen rows back on their own whilst I get the +One upgrade...
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'd like to one day. I haven't had a chance to fly a 747 yet and they'll probably all be re-tasked as cargo planes before I ever do. Bollocks.
Give me a 777 over a 747 any day, unless I'm flying in the bubble of course LOL

Last edited by markonline1; Aug 29th 2013 at 10:22 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:07 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Give me a 777 per 747 any day, unless I'm flying in the bubble of course LOL

The BA 777s I flew were great planes. I suppose it's better that I get to admire the 747s from the outside as they fly over our area on the way to/from O'Hare, depending on the wind. If I was inside, it's not the same I suppose.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering

That's my preferred route. I booked three transatlantic flights at the same time - all for me, all on my own dime. Two direct, the other - cheapy - one requiring a change and with United.

The one dodgy trip - that mentioned here - saves me more than $2000 for that trip compared to the direct route as I wont be away for a Saturday night and I'd already arranged a few shenanigans with the other flights...

I'm 5'0 tall and can generally squeeze into and sleep in any old seat. It ought to be fine
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Lot's of tips on this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653462

none of which I have tried...
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

The BA 777s I flew were great planes. I suppose it's better that I get to admire the 747s from the outside as they fly over our area on the way to/from O'Hare, depending on the wind. If I was inside, it's not the same I suppose.
A 777 is also much better for the environment, better for the profits of the company (keeping prices down) and for noise level. As an aviation fan I love the Jumbo, but it's time she was retired.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:17 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by civilservant
A 777 is also much better for the environment, better for the profits of the company (keeping prices down) and for noise level. As an aviation fan I love the Jumbo, but it's time she was retired.
NO way !! next you'll be calling for Concorde to be put to bed !
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:18 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

have not been on a 777 yet, is BA still flying 747s between Orlando and gatwick or are they using 777s?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:24 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by callowman
NO way !! next you'll be calling for Concorde to be put to bed !
Ummmmmm..... 2003 anyone?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

hit the reward based credit cards and rack up some miles...I took out the Chase BA card and within a couple of months got the full bonus of 100 000 miles.....my next trip is BA ...TPA-LGW in CW and then back on the LCY-JFK 'semi-private ' 32 seater A318.....its a fantastic service...'fees' ran me less than $1000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.