Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of transatlantic flight.

Price of transatlantic flight.

Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:52 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of transatlantic flight.

I would just never choose to have a connection if I didnt have to. Too many variables.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately for me, I have to fly United into Edinburgh in 2 weeks as that's the only airline I can take from here to import our pets. Not to mention, there's only 1 flight/day leaving from any airport within 150miles that can handle our pets and get them to Newark - and they still have to board them overnight as they can't our furbabies there for the EDI flight. When Continental was still around, they had no problems with the size of planes and number flights/day and had no issues getting our cats to EWR in time for the int'l flight. :-/

Over $1500 for my flight!!! I seem to recall back in 2003/2004 when I visited Scotland several times, it was about half that price to fly! Heck, even a couple of years ago, I think it was about $300 cheaper than that!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
It is, but I flew through that way at Christmas last year and Air Canada's computer automatically bumped me off the 2nd flight although I had a boarding pass in hand and was at the Toronto gate 45 minutes beforehand - automatically assumed I would miss the connection! Much begging, pleading and luck got me onto the last flight out.
Yeah, but this can happen with any airline at any time, so no need to worry unnecessarily!

Originally Posted by civilservant
I would just never choose to have a connection if I didnt have to. Too many variables.
Agreed, but the options from here are Delta (yugh!) or BA (marginally better) and the prices were considerably higher. I got a notification of Delta flight that was cheaper, but it's too late to change now. I have reasonable layover times (aroud 1:45 going and just under 3 hours coming back, so I should be OK. My last return involved an overnight in DC due to missing connections!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes, you are correct. "Taxes and fees".
Of which the biggest component is the dubiously named "fuel surcharge". I think taxes are now in the range of $200 for a return transatlantic flight to the UK. I know I posted a breakdown a while back.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
Just did LAX to LHR on a new AA jet (no idea which model) and it was great. Decent seats and legroom, big screens in the seat-back with tons of choice and the food was actually pretty digestible. Would definitely use them again though I do miss the days when someone else would pay for my bus class flights.
That would have been a 777, for that route. You're lucky - the 777 is easily the most comfortable plane I have flown on (I have flown transatlantic in the 757, 767 and 777 so far), though mine was BA. Out of Chicago, we would get the 767 for most routes which is OK, but a little lacking in facilities and worse still, some get the 757 on AA, which is a great plane but not for an 8 hour flight!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The type of plane makes little difference to the comfort level offered apart from a newer plane may be kitted out better!

It's down to the design of the interior, not the aircraft itself. Most airlines customize the interior, takng into account the look and feel and, most of all, the best way to pack the cattle in the most efficiently while still trying to maintain an appearance of actually caring about passenger comfort.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
The times we wanted, the aircraft is a 767-300 so not sure what we'll get. Will just load the ipad up prior to flying
It's about 50/50 at Heathrow between the 777 and 763 so you may get lucky. I flew out to Vegas via Chicago once on UA. I knew the station manager so good upgrade chance. I found out I was flying on a 767 so had a chat with one of the engineers to see what they were like as I'd heard they were an old fleet. He just laughed LOL. The connection between Chicago and Vegas was on one of their Ted 320's and I seriously doubt whether that thing even had a certificate of airworthiness.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The type of plane makes little difference to the comfort level offered apart from a newer plane may be kitted out better!

Make that statement after making a Transatlantic Trip on a 757, as opposed to a 777.

Jim
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:50 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Have to agree-prices are on the up and up.
for me from Orlando to LGW its 1200 return the thing that gets me is the price of the seat was only 580 the TAXES and FEES were 620 !!
how the F can taxes and fees be more than the seat !!

also looking into Orlando to Iceland to London...
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Make that statement after making a Transatlantic Trip on a 757, as opposed to a 777.

Jim
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
Have to agree-prices are on the up and up.
for me from Orlando to LGW its 1200 return the thing that gets me is the price of the seat was only 580 the TAXES and FEES were 620 !!
how the F can taxes and fees be more than the seat !!
Because it's at least partially a scam some airlines (primarily European) use to charge these "fees" on frequent-flyer tickets. As I've already pointed out the bulk of "taxes and fees" is a "fuel surcharge".
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
also looking into Orlando to Iceland to London...

Screw Iceland........after all the disruption caused by their wonky volcano!

Jim.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The type of plane makes little difference to the comfort level offered apart from a newer plane may be kitted out better
Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Not just those 2 aircraft. Compare a 747 to a 777, compare an old 340 200 to a 340 600. Noise levels are different, even turbulence levels can be different due to improved aerodynamics on more modern models.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:19 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by markonline1
Compare a 747 to a 777 ...
I'd like to one day. I haven't had a chance to fly a 747 yet and they'll probably all be re-tasked as cargo planes before I ever do. Bollocks.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately we're stuck on a crappy 747-400 out of SFO the week after next. We had United points to use and that was the only decent option out of here. Maybe time for some good sleeping pills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.