Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old Apr 5th 2019, 7:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Biggest hurdle for most and driving in large parts of US/Canada are not designed for people not having cars. Here within the city its decent transit, but your going to be largely stuck in the city as Greyhound pulled out so there is very limited inter-city transportation these days and most city's don't have 24/7 transit so shift workers are often stuck with no alternatives.
Yeah, outside of the city and a semi-normal routine, you're kind of left in the cold without a car here.

It wasn't just gas, the overall costs to drive a car became crazy.$400-$500 per month just for gas and insurance excluding the costs for oil changes, tires, parking fees etc.
That's quite a lot if it doesn't include the cost of the car. I don't know how insurance costs work up there though, that's probably the biggest factor.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 7:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

$2.54 here in GA today. Most I have seen in in 6 months. Missing that $20 fill up now.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yeah, outside of the city and a semi-normal routine, you're kind of left in the cold without a car here.

That's quite a lot if it doesn't include the cost of the car. I don't know how insurance costs work up there though, that's probably the biggest factor.
Depends on the province some like Alberta and Ontario have private insurance like the US, but rates are still higher vs comparable coverage in the US.

Where BC and some others have government insurance for basic, so in BC basic insurance is through ICBC, there are private options for the optional coverage like comprehensive, but the bulk of insurance cost at least for our policy was the basic required through ICBC.

That amount was just gas + insurance didn't include the payment or cost to purchase the car.

Old Apr 5th 2019, 8:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the province some like Alberta and Ontario have private insurance like the US, but rates are still higher vs comparable coverage in the US.

Where BC and some others have government insurance for basic, so in BC basic insurance is through ICBC, there are private options for the optional coverage like comprehensive, but the bulk of insurance cost at least for our policy was the basic required through ICBC.

That amount was just gas + insurance didn't include the payment or cost to purchase the car.
I honestly don't know what our insurance rates are per month, my wife does the books and it's kind of a hybrid policy because hers and my cars have full coverage, but our son is now driving her old one, and he has liability only, which he pays us for but the policy stays in our name. It's complicated, but I think it's something around $2,500 - $3,000 a year for all 3, a little elevated because I had two minor accidents in mine that required repairs costing more than our deductible (one was deemed 50:50 and the other one I was rear ended by a guy with no coverage so yay me). My car will be paid off early next year though, but my wife just got a new one, borne out of necessity, last week so we're kind of boned until our 2020 tax return comes in with a trip to Ireland we still have to find a way to pay for
Old Apr 5th 2019, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't know what our insurance rates are per month, my wife does the books and it's kind of a hybrid policy because hers and my cars have full coverage, but our son is now driving her old one, and he has liability only, which he pays us for but the policy stays in our name. It's complicated, but I think it's something around $2,500 - $3,000 a year for all 3, a little elevated because I had two minor accidents in mine that required repairs costing more than our deductible (one was deemed 50:50 and the other one I was rear ended by a guy with no coverage so yay me). My car will be paid off early next year though, but my wife just got a new one, borne out of necessity, last week so we're kind of boned until our 2020 tax return comes in with a trip to Ireland we still have to find a way to pay for
I think we paid around $1,900 a year when we had it, maybe a little less, varied a bit year to year and address to address. Weirdest increase was when moved apartments within the same building, but new apartment had a different postal code, rates went up despite the car being parked in the same exact garage..

I always wanted to go to Ireland, probably never will but its on my list.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Dropping down, saw $2.549 at one local station today, several others at $2.579.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 2:31 pm
I have a comma problem

I think we paid around $1,900 a year when we had it, maybe a little less, varied a bit year to year and address to address. Weirdest increase was when moved apartments within the same building, but new apartment had a different postal code, rates went up despite the car being parked in the same exact garage..
Will you get a reduction in your rate when you turn 40? My wife got one last year and I should in a couple months. Not much but every little helps.

My two accidents are still what's jacking our rates up. I don't know if we'll ever get our deductible back from that one where the guy had no insurance. They said they suspended his license but it's been almost 4 years so maybe we'll get lucky if/when it becomes time to renew.

I always wanted to go to Ireland, probably never will but its on my list.
Keep it on your list, maybe you'll get a chance one day. Keep looking for deals as well, you never know.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
$2.54 here in GA today. Most I have seen in in 6 months. Missing that $20 fill up now.
Yeah my cheapie station near Winder has climbed rapidly, now 2.69!!
Old Apr 8th 2019, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Got gas at $2.579 on Saturday evening, by Sunday lunch time it was $2.499 at the same station.

Old Apr 8th 2019, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Will you get a reduction in your rate when you turn 40? My wife got one last year and I should in a couple months. Not much but every little helps.

My two accidents are still what's jacking our rates up. I don't know if we'll ever get our deductible back from that one where the guy had no insurance. They said they suspended his license but it's been almost 4 years so maybe we'll get lucky if/when it becomes time to renew.

Keep it on your list, maybe you'll get a chance one day. Keep looking for deals as well, you never know.
I don't think they reduce rates at 40, seniors get a rate reduction I know, but never heard of one at 40. We have no accidents or tickets and do already get the maximum discount offered. They are changing the structure later in the year on how they decide rates, so who knows what that will bring in.

I'll keep it on my list, maybe one day we will have money, housing is why we are so bad off, renting is highly expensive these days, well so is buying, housing really keeps people down here financially. (Canada is a tough place, high cost of living with wages about the same as the US, so not like we are getting paid much more to cover the extra costs, doesn't help our dollar keeps losing value.)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 8th 2019 at 5:56 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 5:55 pm
I have a comma problem

I don't think they reduce rates at 40, seniors get a rate reduction I know, but never heard of one at 40. We have no accidents or tickets and do already get the maximum discount offered. They are changing the structure later in the year on how they decide rates, so who knows what that will bring in.
I hadn't heard of a reduction at 40 but apparently our insurance offers one. It's piddlingly small, but better than nothing at any rate. Especially considering I'm now getting within 25 years of my rates starting to go back up again due to age

I'll keep it on my list, maybe one day we will have money, housing is why we are so bad off, renting is highly expensive these days, well so is buying, housing really keeps people down here financially.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't, right?
Old Apr 8th 2019, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

I hadn't heard of a reduction at 40 but apparently our insurance offers one. It's piddlingly small, but better than nothing at any rate. Especially considering I'm now getting within 25 years of my rates starting to go back up again due to age

Damned if you do and damned if you don't, right?
Biggest discount I saw in insurance (I was still in California) when I went from 24 to 25, I went down a good 70% virtually overnight.

Old Apr 8th 2019, 6:10 pm
I have a comma problem

Biggest discount I saw in insurance (I was still in California) when I went from 24 to 25, I went down a good 70% virtually overnight.
I was already 26 when I moved out here, and 27 by the time I was able to get my license, so I never got to experience that one
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the better stations selling at $2.549 today. And just as I'm thinking 'nice one' the silly bint on the radio says that it won't last long because the refineries are about to put out the summer blend which is pricier.
​​​​​​ I'm not sure how many of their listeners have the memory retention of a goldfish ( probably quite a few as it's a country station, I only have it on occasionally because they have the best local traffic updates) but I seem to recall they spouted the same 'pricier summer blend' excuse for the first of the large jumps several weeks back...
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:03 am
Account Closed

Seems to be going down 10 cents with stations in the $1.54-$1.55 per liter range. Up and down the roller coaster goes lol

I was already 26 when I moved out here, and 27 by the time I was able to get my license, so I never got to experience that one
It was fun while it lasted, I moved to Canada not long after and oh boy the shock...I was paying more here at 25 then I did at 16 lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.