Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old May 10th 2017, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

Down about 3 cents. Works out to 4.90/US gal.
Old May 10th 2017, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
That does not explain the difference and, of course, you have to compare apples with apples.

This is the quote I was replying to: 'What I dislike, however, is that cars sold do not achieve anywhere near the mpg of cars available in Europe.'

Obviously, well informed persons like yourself are aware that a US gallon is considerably smaller than an Imperial gallon but how many of the European metric generation know that?
To clarify, a vehicle that returns 10 miles/litre will achieve 37.8 miles/US.Gallon and 45.4 miles/I. Gallon.

So now that we've gotten that out of the way have readers also considered that Ethanol diluted gasoline will lower the returns they get from a tankful. The UK was, I believe, hovering around the 5% Ethanol content until recently, US gas is generally 10% and Ecofuel returns considerably lower mileage, so much so that gas prices have to be fairly high for it to be economical to use in a flex fuel type vehicle.
Add on the fact that US like for like bodied vehicles tend to have larger engines than their Euro counterparts and, certainly here in Florida, the A/C is running all the time (which will chew your gas mileage figures if you only do urban type driving).

As for emissions, CA is fairly hot on that kind of thing but I'm not sure how much difference it makes. I do know that when sourcing parts for vehicles over here those built for CA tend to have many different parts than those designated for other states.
Old May 10th 2017, 11:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
This is the quote I was replying to: 'What I dislike, however, is that cars sold do not achieve anywhere near the mpg of cars available in Europe.'

Obviously, well informed persons like yourself are aware that a US gallon is considerably smaller than an Imperial gallon but how many of the European metric generation know that?
To clarify, a vehicle that returns 10 miles/litre will achieve 37.8 miles/US.Gallon and 45.4 miles/I. Gallon.

So now that we've gotten that out of the way have readers also considered that Ethanol diluted gasoline will lower the returns they get from a tankful. The UK was, I believe, hovering around the 5% Ethanol content until recently, US gas is generally 10% and Ecofuel returns considerably lower mileage, so much so that gas prices have to be fairly high for it to be economical to use in a flex fuel type vehicle.
Add on the fact that US like for like bodied vehicles tend to have larger engines than their Euro counterparts ....
Larger engines don't necessarily make that much difference I noticed a 1-2 MPG drop when I went from a 1.6 Sierra to a 3.0 Alfa, and barely any drop (except around town) when I went from the Alfa to a 4.6 Mustang. When I bought the 1.6 Sierra I noticed that a 2.0 was more economical when out on the highway.

When the ethanol in US gas went from 5% to 10% the mpg (US) dropped by about 2mpg. Up until then we had been getting 38-41 mpg (UK) fairly consistently except during winter, and on one occasion on an "economy run" on holiday I got about 47mpg (UK). All this was in a 2.4 Accord.

Of course all of this may be different if you drive like a lead-footed ape! FWIW the Accord has now done 250k miles since it last had new brake pads.

Having spent my childhood as a passenger in the vehicles my father chose, all with nasty, screamy engines around 1.3 litres*, I have absolutely no interest in owning anything with less than a 2.0 engine.

* When I got my 3.0 Alfa 164, for all intents and purposes a "5 series" Alfa, my mother, who knows nothing about cars, asked me why my father always bought little Astras that cost more, a lot more, than I had paid for my Alfa?

Last edited by Pulaski; May 10th 2017 at 11:59 pm.
Old May 11th 2017, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

* When I got my 3.0 Alfa 164, for all intents and purposes a "5 series" Alfa, my mother, who knows nothing about cars, asked me why my father always bought little Astras that cost more, a lot more, than I had paid for my Alfa?

That'll be the same 164 that was prone to engine/gearbox/suspension/heating and electrical gremlins, to name but a few? At least it was easy getting parts for an Astra.
Old May 13th 2017, 4:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The bulk store a town over went down to $2.17G but everywhere else has stayed pretty much the same.
Old May 17th 2017, 10:10 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

$2.72 a west coast thing it seems.
Old May 17th 2017, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
$2.72 a west coast thing it seems.
$2.179 can be found on this (Florida) West coast.
Old May 18th 2017, 12:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
That'll be the same 164 that was prone to engine/gearbox/suspension/heating and electrical gremlins, to name but a few? ....
No. In the three years I had mine it had a hydraulic seal fail, and something in the heating/AC ductwork broke, but that was about it for repairs AFAIR. Granted it had had its engine rebuilt at 125k miles.
Old May 18th 2017, 1:07 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Sas $1.99 last night at a 'budget' gas station. Generally $2.05 at the majors
Old May 18th 2017, 1:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Sas $1.99 last night at a 'budget' gas station. Generally $2.05 at the majors
Not half bad, it's been pretty steady at $2.37 round our way, after a short spell at $2.02.

I just did a quick search to see, out of interest, what it is in the UK so I know what to expect when we're there. Average price in my old neck of the woods is 115.9p/litre, which is about 15p cheaper than the last time we were there, which is nice
Old May 19th 2017, 4:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The bulk place a town over is still $2.17 whilst the one in town is $2.21G everyone else seems to be $2.29+ though.
Old May 19th 2017, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Back up a bit. 5.16 per US gal in CAD$.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 6:37 pm

The price of gas is on the slide again as oil has dropped sharply, down below $43/barrel, compared to $55+ earlier this year.

Gas was already down to $2.049 at one station last week, and on Saturday afternoon I checked GasBuddy before I set out, to see where was the cheapest place to get (BP) gas while I was out and about. I set out but I double checked the price while sitting at traffic lights and discovered that the price had dropped 3¢ since I left home!

Today it is down another 1¢, so now $2.009. I anticipate paying less than $2 by the weekend.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 20th 2017 at 6:42 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 6:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Fill the tank yesterday on Route 49 in MS and paid $1.91 per gallon.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

$1.99 readily available here today, including BP and Shell. 5c down from yesterday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.