Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Not even remotely. US vehicles still decades behind European ones. The new VW Golf launched here doesn't even have the 1.4 TSI engines. Minimum is a guzzler 1.8TSI which something stupid like 200bhp. Totally unnecessary. But Americans don't grasp the concept that small engine can == fast and efficient engine.
I can't remember the exact numbers but the actual horsepower needed to maintain an average car at 65mph on a level road is something ridiculous like 10-20bhp. Do you really need to accelerate so hard from one red light to the next?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:13 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
But then when was the last time you got a 4x8 in the back of your Pious?
I have no idea what a 'Pious' is, nor what remote relevance a 4x8 is?

I use my vehicle for work which usually means I am moving lots of bulky materials around, in my case a dinky little hybrid just won't do what I need it to.
You make two wrong assumptions:

1. That you are required to buy a hybrid to obtain good mpg. It's that type of dimwitted American attitudes that are half the problem and;

2. That you should have to use your gas guzzler work vehicle for your family trips. Work vehicles should be used for the purpose for which they are purcased: i.e., commercial work use.

This trip we have to take the big guy and the trailer as we are picking up our new kitchen. We are still saving big on delivery charges and thankfully the gas downstate is cheaper than it is here so our return trip cost less.
Whilst I abhor delivery charges here (a complete con, and one I have cancelled expensive orders with shops just as a point of principle) it does seem bizarre to complain about petrol costs when you're going to be saving significant amounts of money by collecting your kitchen yourself (that's the first time I've ever heard of anyone collecting their own kitchen BTW).

Love how people are so judgemental :\
It's called an 'opinion'. Deal with it.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:14 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I can't remember the exact numbers but the actual horsepower needed to maintain an average car at 65mph on a level road is something ridiculous like 10-20bhp. Do you really need to accelerate so hard from one red light to the next?
No. Of course one doesn't, but that's exactly my point: America is wedded to gas guzzlers.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael
That's OK since HH also thinks that people that don't buy most expensive products are dumb.
No. Absolutely I do not believe this. I believe people buy what is right for them in line with their finances. Whether they make the correct decision, of course, is something I could probably easily dispute.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

No. Absolutely I do not believe this. I believe people buy what is right for them in line with their finances. Whether they make the correct decision, of course, is something I could probably easily dispute.
Then why do insult people when they don't buy a Miele?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:21 pm
Banned

Then why do insult people when they don't buy a Miele?
I have?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I have?
Lets say you may not directly insult them but calling everything else junk is the same as insulting people who own what you perceive as junk.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Prius. Typo.

I was driving the Ranger the other day, puppy simply could not get comfortable. Figited the whole way. Much prefers the F150.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:27 pm
Banned

Lets say you may not directly insult them but calling everything else junk is the same as insulting people who own what you perceive as junk.
Well, that's just your perception. Mostly everything is junk compared to high end German appliances, remember. I had to use a friends top loaders once out in Vegas, and OMG the damn thing managed to rip one of my t-shirts. Yet I still speak to Americans who swear by these awful things. They genuinely believe that a shorter wash is a good thing. Honestly, that type of mentality is so backward.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Boiler
Prius. Typo.

I was driving the Ranger the other day, puppy simply could not get comfortable. Figited the whole way. Much prefers the F150.
#firstworldproblems
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, that's just your perception. Mostly everything is junk compared to high end German appliances, remember. I had to use a friends top loaders once out in Vegas, and OMG the damn thing managed to rip one of my t-shirts. Yet I still speak to Americans who swear by these awful things. They genuinely believe that a shorter wash is a good thing. Honestly, that type of mentality is so backward.
You just can't help yourself. Even when you try to defend your comments, you insult people.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:37 pm
Banned

You just can't help yourself. Even when you try to defend your comments, you insult people.
That's just me, Mike :-) Speaking my mind. American Free Speech - LOVE it.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

#firstworldproblems
Bigdogproblem
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, but to suggest that a tank of petrol here in the US is ever going to 'cripple' you, is - to a European at any rate - frankly ridiculous.

Plus, Americans are paid more than Europeans.
Cost fluctuations are quite hefty though, can make the difference between a tank costing $45 or $75....someone on a tight budget, doing a tank a week might not be able to afford spending close to double that amount, especially when one is driving significant mileage.

Back in the UK, my mum might moan about petrol, but then a tank lasts her a month and she can get on the bus for 10p as a OAP...the same OAP here doesn't usually have that option.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's just me, Mike :-) Speaking my mind. American Free Speech - LOVE it.
There is also something know as tact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.