British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Price of gas update... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/price-gas-update-565727/)

tamms_1965 Oct 24th 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Price of gas update...

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 6906294)
I want to know why my debit card will swipe in some machines and not others. Some of them have to swip it bottom to top, or put a plastic bag on it etc and some places can whip it through like green corn goes through the new maid. :confused:

when you swipe the card through the reader, the magnetized particles in its stripe generate a signal with "ticks" in it at intervals that the machine is able to interpret as digital ones or zeros. A scratch or other defect in the magnetic stripe can cause a spike (i.e., brief fluctuation) in the signal that a too-sensitive reader will interpret as a tick, meaning that the encoded data will fail the parity check (the numbers won't add up right) and the card won't work. Wrapping the card in plastic increases the distance between the read head and the magnetic stripe, thus reducing the strength and crispness of the signal and smoothing out anomalous fluctuations.

The above is pirated information from the "Ask Metafilter" website.

meauxna Oct 24th 2008 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 6906160)
It is NJ law. I'm not complaining - I hate it when I travel now and have to do it myself.

Come to Oregon; we're the only other state with no self-service IIRC.

frrussre Oct 24th 2008 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 6906323)
when you swipe the card through the reader, the magnetized particles in its stripe generate a signal with "ticks" in it at intervals that the machine is able to interpret as digital ones or zeros. A scratch or other defect in the magnetic stripe can cause a spike (i.e., brief fluctuation) in the signal that a too-sensitive reader will interpret as a tick, meaning that the encoded data will fail the parity check (the numbers won't add up right) and the card won't work. Wrapping the card in plastic increases the distance between the read head and the magnetic stripe, thus reducing the strength and crispness of the signal and smoothing out anomalous fluctuations.

The above is pirated information from the "Ask Metafilter" website.

I will store this info, incase I am ever on University Challenge (Like Jeopardy, but for really clever people)

Brit3964 Oct 24th 2008 8:56 pm

Just filled up again @ $2.44. Cheapest here since oooh ages ago :) I'm off up to NC this weekend. I bet it's more there, it usually is.

frrussre Oct 24th 2008 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Brit3964 (Post 6907443)
Just filled up again @ $2.44. Cheapest here since oooh ages ago :) I'm off up to NC this weekend. I bet it's more there, it usually is.

Build your own, liquid bombmobil
buy several red 5 gallon cans, fillem up, carry in trunk. Seems to be a stupid FL thing.

neil Oct 24th 2008 9:17 pm

The place I filled up at this morning for $2.53 was $2.45 on my way home. I couldn't have made it to work and back on what I had in the tank this morning though.

TruBrit Oct 24th 2008 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 6907479)
Build your own, liquid bombmobil
buy several red 5 gallon cans, fillem up, carry in trunk. Seems to be a stupid FL thing.

:blink:

hiya frank :)

frrussre Oct 24th 2008 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6907484)
:blink:

hiya frank :)

Hi Trubrit, I think being mia on here for a few weeks has rested my old brain. :rofl:
Reg. Frank R.

tamms_1965 Oct 25th 2008 1:34 pm

$2.14 last night at the station attached to Wal-Mart.

lisag8070 Oct 25th 2008 2:07 pm

yep it is...I filled up yesterday for $2.79...(at costco)

tamms_1965 Oct 25th 2008 9:27 pm

Just got back from shopping and saw it at $2.13.

Janek66 Oct 27th 2008 11:45 am

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 6910080)
Just got back from shopping and saw it at $2.13.

God, I am surrounded by states that have much cheaper (by 50c or more) gas than it is here. What is with this state? :(

tamms_1965 Oct 27th 2008 1:44 pm

Sorry to say this (not really) but it is $2.03 at one station in my area, but most stations are at $2.11 this morning.

Janek66 Oct 27th 2008 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 6914413)
Sorry to say this (not really) but it is $2.03 at one station in my area, but most stations are at $2.11 this morning.

Perhaps I need to drive to Ohio to fill up?

tamms_1965 Oct 27th 2008 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Janek66 (Post 6914415)
Perhaps I need to drive to Ohio to fill up?

That doesn't sound that crazy around here. You'd be surpriesed at how many people spend 2 bucks in gas to drive to save 2 bucks in gas!