Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of food in Brit Stores

Price of food in Brit Stores

Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice
Default Re: Price of food in Brit Stores

Originally Posted by dave2702
I thought "Gold Blend" over here was "Taster's Choice". it certainly tastes pretty similar to me
I tried Taster's Choice. If you're looking for a caffeine fix it will work, but it's......unsatisfying and a bit rough and it's no Gold Blend. I had a lady at work ask me for some coffee one day and I gave her the whole container. I just couldn't hack it any more. I drink coffee all day and if you have one or two it's Ok but after a while you go......what IS this stuff? :curse:

Now if I need a quick coffee fix, I get those instant Starbucks "Via Ready Brew" at Costco. About $16 for 24 of them. They are VERY good !
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I hated the Starbucks ready brew I was really hoping I like it.
I stick to plain old Folgers instant in the red container, I just make it a bit stronger.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of instant....I have a huge stash of Nescafe samples, the poncey ones, some chap was giving out samples out by the TD Garden in beantown but was getting late and couldn't be bothered any more, so I got a lot more than expected.

First time in years I had instant...it weren't that bad either.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
First time in years I had instant...it weren't that bad either.
Yes, yes it were, Bob.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, yes it were, Bob.

I don't drink that much coffee, so prefer to make it properly, usually only make it when the in-laws are over or we're headingo n a drive.

New kettle, making even more tea than ever
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:56 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob

I don't drink that much coffee, so prefer to make it properly, usually only make it when the in-laws are over or we're headingo n a drive.

New kettle, making even more tea than ever

Headingo! I like it!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I hated the Starbucks ready brew I was really hoping I like it.
I stick to plain old Folgers instant in the red container, I just make it a bit stronger.
Don't think I've tried the Folger's instant. I drink their brewed coffee (red tub) in the mornings.

Had some lovely instant coffees in Australia. Dozens of instant coffee choices there.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:08 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Have you had Seabrooks????

They are a million times better than walkers!!
When I ran playschemes we used to be always looking for trips to keep the kids entertained, I took them to a sweet factory where they got bored with the lengthy explanation of the process.

We went to Seabrooks and it was - this is a potato this is it chopped, fryed, flavoured, now help yourselves. the kids could take as many as they could carry and we were given a box for the staff...still like walkers though!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

My girlfriend's an American and just can't understand my liking for Instant Coffee wondering why I just don't make the "proper" stuff. Fortunately we live in a very large Polish community and they, like me, seem to think that Instant is the only coffee
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:18 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

My girlfriend's an American and just can't understand my liking for Instant Coffee wondering why I just don't make the "proper" stuff. Fortunately we live in a very large Polish community and they, like me, seem to think that Instant is the only coffee
Hey Dave, I'm just down the road from you!

If you aren't aware of Jerrys Fruit and veg , you should be

They even sell HP and something akin to Jaffa Cakes in about 5 different flavours.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:56 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same way about instant. It conjures visions of old ladies sitting in their trailer kitchens smoking ciggies, drinking instant coffee and playing cards.

When my 4 SIL visiting last Oct., the first day they went to the grocery store and bought a jar of Nescafe instant even though I offered to make them some fresh brewed (and grind the beans).

Last edited by tamms_1965; Apr 29th 2010 at 1:58 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I will usually make a small cup of instant (nescafe) while I am waiting on my machine to 'perc', it's the only time I drink it
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:07 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer intstant any day
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Hey Dave, I'm just down the road from you!

If you aren't aware of Jerrys Fruit and veg , you should be

They even sell HP and something akin to Jaffa Cakes in about 5 different flavours.
Oh I know Jerry's and their wierd Polish Cadbury brands the Shop and Save further up Milwaukee recently were selling Chocolate Hobnobs off at a $1 a pack & the Jewel in Glenview and the one on Touhey actually do pretty good UK selections

Psst the Shop & Save also sell Danish Bacon
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I feel the same way about instant. It conjures visions of old ladies sitting in their trailer kitchens smoking ciggies, drinking instant coffee and playing cards.
You've been to Niles then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.