Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of food in Brit Stores

Price of food in Brit Stores

Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:05 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of food in Brit Stores

I bought 2 tins of Heinz beans back from the Uk 3 years ago they are still in the cupboard.. I have found that I really dont miss any British food...
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice

Originally Posted by rivit
This manager sounds like a Brit
Yeah, he is. Maybe I expected to find "the jolly innkeeper" kind of fellow when I went. So I guess you could blame my own expectations. The other Brit food stores I'd frequent in Las Vegas and Long Beach were really lovely and always had a cheery hello for everyone. And I'd spend tons of money as they made me feel welcome.

I used to look around the sparse, dusty store here in Phoenix and think "Hmm.. this place has so much potential!" To be fair to him, he did explain how much it actually costs to bring this kind of food over to the US, so the prices weren't a big deal for me. I can understand that as well as the small pool of potential customers (Sth African, Aussies, Brits NZ'rs ) I was willing to pay the extra for it, but his "unhappy expat" demeanor got to me after a few visits and I haven't been back in a long time, much as I'd like to support his endeavour.

Last edited by Angelstation; Apr 25th 2010 at 2:20 pm. Reason: Speeling mistooks.....
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice

Originally Posted by candy wy.
I bought 2 tins of Heinz beans back from the Uk 3 years ago they are still in the cupboard.. I have found that I really dont miss any British food...
I hear ya. Cupboard full of mushy peas and pickled onions and full jar of Marmite here. Been sitting there for years. Never feel inclined to touch them anymore. I just buy the occasional Cadbury block from Cost Plus.

I still like my Vegemite though.....
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:35 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelstation
I hear ya. Cupboard full of mushy peas and pickled onions and full jar of Marmite here. Been sitting there for years. Never feel inclined to touch them anymore. I just buy the occasional Cadbury block from Cost Plus.

I still like my Vegemite though.....
Vegemite when I lived in Australia (I see you did too) its their version of marmite I think!
AWFUL stuff lol..I wanted to eat it because everyone else did but it was like petrol on toast

I still have salad cream,gravy,mint sauce, angel delight,HP brown sauce just sitting there and lemon curd.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Vegemite when I lived in Australia (I see you did too) its their version of marmite I think!
AWFUL stuff lol..I wanted to eat it because everyone else did but it was like petrol on toast
It's definitely an acquired taste. I think you have to start eating it before you are 2 years old and then it latches on to your DNA.

It's actually quite nice on those plain rice cakes. But spread it THIN!!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

vegemite, far superior to marmite

Yeah, I have some birds custard in the cupboard past the date. I did a spring clean yesterday and realised I could start my own tea shop with all the tea bags I have all over the place.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

I still have a small jar of Devon Clotted Cream in the fridge......expired Apr 2007. Time to chuck it perhaps? I've been waiting for the lid to expand and blow out (kinda like a science experiment)

Perhaps I should pry the lid off and see if it's any good. My mission? To find "new life and new civilizations" !
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelstation
I still have a small jar of Devon Clotted Cream in the fridge......expired Apr 2007. Time to chuck it perhaps? I've been waiting for the lid to expand and blow out (kinda like a science experiment)

Perhaps I should pry the lid off and see if it's any good. My mission? To find "new life and new civilizations" !
Now, I've seen that stuff for sale, but as it was UHT type of thing I thought it would probably be terrible. Is it decent? It should be for about $7 per jar.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Now, I've seen that stuff for sale, but as it was UHT type of thing I thought it would probably be terrible. Is it decent? It should be for about $7 per jar.

I will make some scones this week and open the jar (carefully). If all goes well, I will post my results. If not, I will try to email from hospital.

Stand back. We're goin' in (click)......................
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Bless her, she's always a little put out when I say I don't want it.

This thread has got me missing you know what again, I won't mention the breakfast cereal it always gets me in trouble
Oh yes the breakfast cereal and I started thinking about Wensleydale cheese
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh yes the breakfast cereal and I started thinking about Wensleydale cheese
Ready brek, Thats the only breakfast I really miss.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:18 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Ready brek, Thats the only breakfast I really miss.
I can honestly say I have never tried it
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I can honestly say I have never tried it
Me neither. It gives you a radioactive glow
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:28 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Other foreign food shops usually have a British section. I've been to an Asian and an Indian/Middle Eastern store here and in both places incidentally ran across many of the British items you guys crave. Prices seemed pretty reasonable and some even seemed cheap.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Me neither. It gives you a radioactive glow

Oh I remember this particular advert well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.