Reload this Page >

Price Comparison sites

Price Comparison sites

Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:27 am
Just Joined

RickyOtto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Price Comparison sites

Hi All
Apologies as ever if this is tucked away on another thread.
I am looking for the best price comparison site (UK has moneysupermarket / comparethemarket, etc) so that I can identify best deals for cell phones, electric, gas, internet, home insurance, car insurance, etc.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by RickyOtto; Nov 9th 2015 at 10:28 am. Reason: Edited due to grammar fail!
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price Comparison sites

I'm not sure something comparable exists here. Each state, and sometimes even regions within states, has their own market for such things. Think of it as trying to compare prices of electricity and so on in the UK versus Spain or Germany. It's meaningless. Most websites here, even for things like DIY shops equivalent to B&Q, require you to put in your zip code before you can see the prices and promotions in your area.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:33 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

For tangible products, the Amazon price generally provides a very good guideline.

I can't think of a single price comparison site that covers an entire range of services from cell phones to auto insurance to utilities. You will find price comparison sites for individual services like auto insurance. And other sites for cell phone service. And so on.

Some folks love to use Consumer Reports for comparing product/service quality and value but their price guidelines are often a bit dated. Also, full access requires an online and/or print subscription. It's basically the equivalent of the UK's "Which?" magazine.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:33 am
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A number of the things that have competing providers in the UK exist only as localized monopolies in the US. You will probably find that you only need to decide whether or not you need electricity, gas, cable TV, and then contact the supplier.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 3:46 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
A number of the things that have competing providers in the UK exist only as localized monopolies in the US. You will probably find that you only need to decide whether or not you need electricity, gas, cable TV, and then contact the supplier.
Even if you decide you need electricity and Internet, the monopolistic local supplier is free to supply it intermittently, at their convenience...
Old Nov 10th 2015, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
And do be prepared for terrible service from the supplier. They will tell you, repeatedly, on every interaction with them, how important you are to them, and it sounds so sincere... but they don't mean it.

Comcast for broadband/internet (and if you need it a land line phone and TV) is just dreadful in my experience. Their sales and billing systems are just broken and their ethos for customer service is non-existent.

However, the good news is that they are so really, really, dreadfully bad that I had several months where I had free services because they double refunded/compensated me. Always a silver lining
Old Nov 10th 2015, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

RickyOtto is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm slightly gobsmacked that there is so little competition....it doesn't fit with my visual of the American ethos. But tis forum is a fountain of knowledge I would never doubt. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 4:37 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RickyOtto View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm slightly gobsmacked that there is so little competition....it doesn't fit with my visual of the American ethos. .....
America is mostly about vested interests and corporate lobbying. Any other perception is mistaken.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

America really has done a fantastic marketing job on itself.
Before I came here I thought it was the land of pure free market competition and choice. But you have far less choice than in the UK for most things.

I use the google shopping link for goods price comparisons.
Stuff like insurance (car, pet, life etc) can also be done via comparison sites too.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

jupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nice

For all things insurance (Auto, Renters) wise check out www.comparenow.com