British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Previous US bank account - will I have credit history? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/previous-us-bank-account-will-i-have-credit-history-430638/)

dukeynorton Feb 26th 2007 4:08 pm

Previous US bank account - will I have credit history?

Hi there,

I was in the USA for a year or so 5 years ago and obviously had a bank account there but did not have a credit card but paid for everything on debit card instead. The bank was a small local outfit. I regularly used this account for everyday activities as well as for transferring money from the UK. I will be going back to the states soon and was wondering whether this previous account activity will mean I have the sought after "credit history"?

Thanks in advance.

fatbrit Feb 26th 2007 4:17 pm

Re: Previous US bank account - will I have credit history?

Originally Posted by dukeynorton (Post 4456711)
Hi there,

I was in the USA for a year or so 5 years ago and obviously had a bank account there but did not have a credit card but paid for everything on debit card instead. The bank was a small local outfit. I regularly used this account for everyday activities as well as for transferring money from the UK. I will be going back to the states soon and was wondering whether this previous account activity will mean I have the sought after "credit history"?

Thanks in advance.

Nope.

dukeynorton Feb 26th 2007 4:33 pm

Thank-you FatBrit.

It was hopeful I know, but it was worth a try. :o

Celsius Feb 26th 2007 4:36 pm

Did you keep the account open?

Bob Feb 26th 2007 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius (Post 4456808)
Did you keep the account open?

still wouldn't have built up any credit history.

frrussre Feb 26th 2007 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by dukeynorton (Post 4456711)
Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

Bank Accounts do not show on Credit reports. BUT, bounced checks, Landlord problems, unpaid rent or eviction, can & do show on full reports.
Reg. Frank R.

Celsius Feb 26th 2007 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4456921)
still wouldn't have built up any credit history.

That wasn't my point. If the OP still has an account, it'll save him the hassle of trying to open one post 9/11.

Also, the account provider may offer credit cards and being an existing customer may give him some leverage getting a card, albeit with a low credit limit.

frrussre Feb 26th 2007 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius (Post 4458040)
That wasn't my point. If the OP still has an account, it'll save him the hassle of trying to open one post 9/11.

Also, the account provider may offer credit cards and being an existing customer may give him some leverage getting a card, albeit with a low credit limit.

Good point, tho if no activity for 5 years, "ThinK" the account, would have been closed & any funds sent to the Gov for holding.
Reg. Frank R

dukeynorton Feb 28th 2007 8:40 am

The account was closed when I left. I am a bit annoyed that I didnt at least get a credit card then and would have saved myself a little bit of hassle next time round. Nevertheless, it was a crappy local bank and I think it would be pretty much useless to me anyway.

MancMan Feb 28th 2007 6:57 pm

All is not lost!

You may be able to lend money from this bank easier than others. You have a "relationship" with them and they will consider this on your loan application.

My wife had a Wells Fago savings account for a few years before we moved here (long story). They gave us a 300K mortgage base on this relationship. We had a fico score of 0.

M

P.S. Fico score still in the single digits :lol: