Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Prevailing wages...

Prevailing wages...

Old Aug 27th 2004, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prevailing wages...

Just curious, how does the employer go about getting the prevailing wage for the first form to submit the H1B application?

I am going to see an immigration attorney next week, and I am sure I will get the answers to all these questions then, but my boss was asking me today after he looked over the form, as it said what source did he get the "prevailing wage" from, there were 3 options, one of them being other - I guess he thought he could just look at the local paper LOL - I told him no way will it be THAT easy!

Apparently the H3 is a hardly used category, but the atty is goign to look into the rules to try and figure out the best option. $200 for a half hour appointment, and about $3,500 for the whole H1B process, if I try for that - does this seem reasonable to others who have used an attorney for this? Also, has anyone did the application themselves, with just initial guidance from an attorney?

I was told today that the cap is almost reached already, so gotta get moving fast on SOMETHING because this year is flying by. Either that or find me a husband hee hee
Old Aug 27th 2004, 1:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prevailing wages...

Originally Posted by Lesley1020

I was told today that the cap is almost reached already, so gotta get moving fast on SOMETHING because this year is flying by. Either that or find me a husband hee hee
Yup, better hurry and goodluck
The cap is almost done, if not already...but either way, its' a close thing
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yup, better hurry and goodluck
The cap is almost done, if not already...but either way, its' a close thing
Yep, time to get the skates on! It's so confusing all the stuff I am reading, so I think I will just quit until I see the lawyer - it seems from some of it that the cap doesn't apply if you are changing status from one visa to another, but I'm sure that can't be right?
Old Aug 27th 2004, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

I still for the life of me cannot understand why you would want to stay here with the illness you have. This is not the place to be if things go tits up medically. I don't want to sound like a sour puss, I have been here long enough now though to see what happens to good people who get sick. Good luck to you, just hope you do not come unstuck.

I have a friend in San Jose who has cancer. She is an American Citizen, born and bred in CA. She is single, has been divorced for over 10 years and she is in her 50s. She contracted a cancer called Condrosarcoma. Essentially the tumor is wrapped around her spinal cord. This cancer will eventually kill her, there is no cure for it. She is now on her 3rd round of chemo and radiation in order to shrink it yet again, but it will keep coming back and will be more aggressive each time it does. She has full medical insurance from the Co she works for, but the crunch is she has to keep working in order to get the treatment which in itself is killing her. She works 12 hour days, she has to be at the hospital at 4am to get her treatment along with an antinausea shot, then she crawls off to work. If she were to have to quit work I don't know what she would do. She has tried for disability, but apparently that will take 8 months to go thru, you have to prove you are dying. So you see, this country is not sympathetic to people who are very sick, even to their own born and bred. I do wish you well and sincerely hope that something like this does not happen to you, but I would be heading home in your situation to where I knew I had family and friends who would help.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Yep, time to get the skates on! It's so confusing all the stuff I am reading, so I think I will just quit until I see the lawyer - it seems from some of it that the cap doesn't apply if you are changing status from one visa to another, but I'm sure that can't be right?
i just read the cap's been met
Old Aug 27th 2004, 4:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
i just read the cap's been met
And where did you read this young Bob????
Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ray
And where did you read this young Bob????
Didn't say it was gospel....so I could be wrong

And there only offering 65,000 of them this year....big drop from previous years

Last edited by Bob; Aug 27th 2004 at 5:29 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Ok, I was wrong about the cap

http://www.murthy.com/nflash/nf_082004.html
Old Aug 27th 2004, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

the new alotment of H1B starts in October.. I know this because we have a guy currently awaiting the new alotment before applying.. the lawyers are handling all for him.

andy
Old Aug 27th 2004, 9:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
the new alotment of H1B starts in October.. I know this because we have a guy currently awaiting the new alotment before applying.. the lawyers are handling all for him.
andy
New application were being taken in from april 04 apparently 40K+ has already been allocated ..better get that in quick ..
Old Aug 27th 2004, 11:37 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
New application were being taken in from april 04 apparently 40K+ has already been allocated ..better get that in quick ..

Just to clarify - the 40k figure is for NEXT year - if you don't make it soon then you will have to wait through till October next year
Old Aug 27th 2004, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by effi
I still for the life of me cannot understand why you would want to stay here with the illness you have. This is not the place to be if things go tits up medically. I don't want to sound like a sour puss, I have been here long enough now though to see what happens to good people who get sick. Good luck to you, just hope you do not come unstuck.

I have a friend in San Jose who has cancer. She is an American Citizen, born and bred in CA. She is single, has been divorced for over 10 years and she is in her 50s. She contracted a cancer called Condrosarcoma. Essentially the tumor is wrapped around her spinal cord. This cancer will eventually kill her, there is no cure for it. She is now on her 3rd round of chemo and radiation in order to shrink it yet again, but it will keep coming back and will be more aggressive each time it does. She has full medical insurance from the Co she works for, but the crunch is she has to keep working in order to get the treatment which in itself is killing her. She works 12 hour days, she has to be at the hospital at 4am to get her treatment along with an antinausea shot, then she crawls off to work. If she were to have to quit work I don't know what she would do. She has tried for disability, but apparently that will take 8 months to go thru, you have to prove you are dying. So you see, this country is not sympathetic to people who are very sick, even to their own born and bred. I do wish you well and sincerely hope that something like this does not happen to you, but I would be heading home in your situation to where I knew I had family and friends who would help.
I hear what you are saying, but all things considered I think I would be nuts to go home now... I've only been on Avonex for 5 weeks now, and the improvement already has been marked, although I wasn't currently having an "attack" the symptoms I had been left with from the previous one have all but gone, I have got on a study where I am now getting the drugs free for 3 yrs + (which I would not be eligible for at home, my mum has talked to my/her doctor and he confirmed that our postal codes don't qualify)...within 4 days of telling my doctor that my insurance wouldn't cover the medicine - I had it - so I have had the opposite experience fromw hat I expected... Also, my insurance has settled the medical bill, my boss dealt with them, and suddenly checks were sent to everyone - and they are covering me until Oct 05, but in any event I will be getting 3 free MRIs per year to monitor progress etc... If the worst were to happen, well then I would consider going home of course - but right now, I have support of my bosses, friends and my family at home think I am doing the right thing too - I just simply would not have had the opportunity for all of this had I still been there. More importantly to me, while I can still do all that I am able to, I want to live a good life - which lately is what I have had the opportunity to do here, I feel in my heart I have made the right decision, time will tell, and all I can do is try....