Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

present for those back in the UK are expensive this year

present for those back in the UK are expensive this year

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:14 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default present for those back in the UK are expensive this year

title should read presents

My daughter cannot make it to spend christmas here this year. I had previously promised her a new laptop, and must now figure how to get it to her in England.
Apple US price - $1099
Apple UK price - $1,442 (£699)

She mentioned she would like the more expensive one , but thats not going to happen.

Of course if I buy it here and send it to her then mum will have to pay import duty (which I will have to reimburse).

How is everyone else coping with the crappy exchange rate?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: present for those back in the UK are expensive this year

Originally Posted by Pony

My daughter cannot make it to spend christmas here this year. I had previously promised her a new laptop, and must now figure how to get it to her in England.
Apple US price - $1099

She mentioned she would like the more expensive one , but thats not going to happen.

Of course if I buy it here and send it to her then mum will have to pay import duty (which I will have to reimburse).

Presumably the U.K. price includes 17.5% VAT.
Does the U.S. price include sales tax?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Apple US price - $1099

I once bought a digital camera in the US and shipped it over to my dad. Just sent it via UPS. Didn't pay any duty on it. Oops.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point

But even if she did come to the US and take it back with her, wouldnt she have had to pay customs tax?

Isn't it more to do with UK extortion than a crappy exchange rate?

I had my eye on a new electric guitar, US price $1400, UK price £1400 !!! WTF !
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Apple US price - $1099

Wait until the fares go down and have her come over instead and take it back with her...would cost the same with the cost of airfare...
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=YankeeDaz;5588328]But even if she did come to the US and take it back with her, wouldnt she have had to pay customs tax?

QUOTE]

Hmm, you as the customs guy, tell me that my laptop I'm carrying onto the plane with me, (amongst the thousands of others moving through the airport with their laptops) wasn't the one I left the UK with.......
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm, you as the customs guy, tell me that my laptop I'm carrying onto the plane with me, (amongst the thousands of others moving through the airport with their laptops) wasn't the one I left the UK with.......
No, I'm talking about coming back from the USA, re-entering the UK, getting OFF the plane and going through customs.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YankeeDaz
No, I'm talking about coming back from the USA, re-entering the UK, getting OFF the plane and going through customs.
How would they ever know?????
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AlienUk
I suppose this comes down to "what it is possible to do" and "what it is legal to do".

OP: your daughter isn't a student is she? In the US the apple store has an educational discount system, but I don't know if that's in place anywhere else.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:47 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Best approach when stateside buy said laptop take it out of box post empty box to the UK and mail back receipt in a letter. some will say take a external hard drive to states transfer files on to laptop as customs may ask you to boot it up. And bring the laptop bag case purchased in the UK dont travel with the american plug either, as its a give away.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlienUk
It all depends on who is willing to take the chance. You could get lucky or you could be unlucky and charged a fortune in tax.

You could send a parcel, but that would still have to go through customs at the other end. The declared value could be substantially lower, but it if gets lost, you lose, and also if they decide to open it for inspection you could also be charged.

Hit and miss either way.

Last edited by YankeeDaz; Nov 22nd 2007 at 5:40 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Customs officers have books of codes to verify origin
but their most common first look especially on cameras is the batteries
Duracell Crawley ..will normally get you a pass ...
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:25 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Apple US price - $1099

Just a thought... Why not purchase what she wants on Ebay UK, for example (if available) and have it delivered nationally?

Like I say - just a thought...

---
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:27 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

The U.S. price does not include sales tax. I would be buying from a reseller in TX and having it shipped to CA.

Some good suggestions to think over.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Presumably the U.K. price includes 17.5% VAT.
Does the U.S. price include sales tax?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britex01
Just a thought... Why not purchase what she wants on Ebay UK, for example (if available) and have it delivered nationally?

Like I say - just a thought...

---
a) Ebay is a quite risky place to buy a laptop
b) If paying by Paypal NO seller with ANY experience will allow someone to pay for an item and have it delivered elsewhere...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.